Advertise with Kiwi Biker
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 165 of 278

Thread: Moeraki crash

  1. #151
    Join Date
    1st September 2007 - 21:01
    Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    13,236
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Conquiztador View Post
    ... If you turn up in NZ with an overseas driving license and you rent a vehicle you will need to buy an insurance that will provide funds for a family that lost a loved one or he/she ended up in hospital as result of your driving.
    Google ACC. That's what it is there for. The only insurance they require is for the rental. As it should be. Less than 3% of fatal's on NZ roads involve overseas visitors. The other 97% are New Zealander's ... The REAL killers on New Zealand roads. Time to toughen up on THEM ...
    Sweat wipes off. Road-rash doesn't.

  2. #152
    Join Date
    1st September 2007 - 21:01
    Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    13,236
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Trade_nancy View Post
    I agree with that...found Southern roads - in particular highways...superior to North Island. Also less traffic on a lot of them.
    I haven't found a reason to test that theory. I haven't ridden north of the ditch since the 21st Cold Kiwi ... roads are roads ... and I've ridden most of them.

    Every spin of the wheels is another 6 feet closer to wherever I'm going ...
    Sweat wipes off. Road-rash doesn't.

  3. #153
    Join Date
    25th October 2002 - 17:30
    Bike
    GSXR1000
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    8,476
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    I wonder how most (expert) kiwi drivers would handle navigating through Tokyo or LA on their motorway systems ... ???
    I've driven in Nagoya and LA, and at first it can be almost overwhelming. It didn't take very long to get to grips for me though, I don't consider myself an 'expert' driver but one that does try to constantly remain aware of everything around me (thanks dad for making me do Defensive Driving back in '90 when I got my license as know it all 15yr old). But without local knowledge it is very easy to end up in the incorrect lane at intersections etc and cause a spot of bother.
    http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/signaturepics/sigpic31_1.gif

  4. #154
    Join Date
    1st September 2007 - 21:01
    Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    13,236
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    I've driven in Nagoya and LA, and at first it can be almost overwhelming. It didn't take very long to get to grips for me though, I don't consider myself an 'expert' driver but one that does try to constantly remain aware of everything around me (thanks dad for making me do Defensive Driving back in '90 when I got my license as know it all 15yr old). But without local knowledge it is very easy to end up in the incorrect lane at intersections etc and cause a spot of bother.
    Whilst in the NZ Army I got a 2 year posting to Singapore. I was an army driver by trade ... so almost a sense of dread seeing the city for the first time. A lot different to Christchurch rush hours ...

    It didn't take long before it was normal and no issues ... (not so for my parents when they visited)
    Sweat wipes off. Road-rash doesn't.

  5. #155
    Join Date
    13th July 2008 - 20:48
    Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Location
    Papakowhai
    Posts
    4,163
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Google ACC. That's what it is there for. The only insurance they require is for the rental. As it should be. Less than 3% of fatal's on NZ roads involve overseas visitors. The other 97% are New Zealander's ... The REAL killers on New Zealand roads. Time to toughen up on THEM ...
    I've been banging that drum for several years. It's just easier to blame tourists than to change ourselves.

  6. #156
    Join Date
    13th February 2006 - 13:12
    Bike
    raptor 1000
    Location
    Dunedin
    Posts
    2,898
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    I've been banging that drum for several years. It's just easier to blame tourists than to change ourselves.
    i did a couple of thousand ks around Central Otago, Waitaki Valley, Dn to ChCh over xmas ALL the bad driving i saw was tourists of a certain ethnicity driving white Toyota Corolla's/white Toyota Highlander's its easy to blame them because they drive badly and stand out

  7. #157
    Join Date
    13th July 2008 - 20:48
    Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Location
    Papakowhai
    Posts
    4,163
    Quote Originally Posted by JimO View Post
    i did a couple of thousand ks around Central Otago, Waitaki Valley, Dn to ChCh over xmas ALL the bad driving i saw was tourists of a certain ethnicity driving white Toyota Corolla's/white Toyota Highlander's its easy to blame them because they drive badly and stand out
    Certainly there are areas of NZ and times of the year when tourists are a greater proportion of the driving population.

    But it doesn't take much googling to see that the vast majority of our DSI (deaths and serious injuries) are caused by people who live here.

    The campaign against tourists drivers is a classic case of projection, where we project blame for something onto an identifiable third party.

    It's normal to do that. Trouble is, when we do that, we also lose the ability to solve the problem.

    For example, when I blame my brakes for having locked the front wheel, I'm saying that there isn't anything I can do about it, as it wasn't my fault.

    The psychology of cultural behaviour is fascinating.

  8. #158
    Join Date
    5th January 2007 - 14:58
    Bike
    motocompo
    Location
    Buttfuck nowhere
    Posts
    4,905
    Quote Originally Posted by JimO View Post
    i did a couple of thousand ks around Central Otago, Waitaki Valley, Dn to ChCh over xmas ALL the bad driving i saw was tourists of a certain ethnicity driving white Toyota Corolla's/white Toyota Highlander's its easy to blame them because they drive badly and stand out
    The white Toyota Highlander is a red flag to me when driving or riding.

  9. #159
    Join Date
    24th September 2004 - 06:46
    Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Location
    On the road to nowhere...
    Posts
    6,717
    In which areas are these fatal crashes happening? Surely it would be more cost effective to target the areas where most of the incidents occure.

    For example there'd be less likely a chance of an incident on the Takapua Planes as opposed to the Auckland motorway.

    People keep saying the number of incidents has reduced from former years but is that actually true? Often a percentage given. If the amount of driver/riders on our roads has increased the same amount of crashes in the past with less traffic will be a greater percentage than the same amount of crashes with a substantually greater amount of road user.

    Anyway I'm off for a ride.
    "Every time you set your ass on a bike, you're playing a game of Russian Roulette between yourself and your own stupidity."

  10. #160
    Join Date
    7th January 2014 - 14:45
    Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Location
    Not Gulf Harbour Either
    Posts
    988
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Certainly there are areas of NZ and times of the year when tourists are a greater proportion of the driving population.

    But it doesn't take much googling to see that the vast majority of our DSI (deaths and serious injuries) are caused by people who live here.

    The campaign against tourists drivers is a classic case of projection, where we project blame for something onto an identifiable third party.

    It's normal to do that. Trouble is, when we do that, we also lose the ability to solve the problem.

    For example, when I blame my brakes for having locked the front wheel, I'm saying that there isn't anything I can do about it, as it wasn't my fault.

    The psychology of cultural behaviour is fascinating.
    I'm not disagreeing with the statement of 'Those who are pure shall cast the first stone', however there is also a statement that when compared to the regular population, Tourists (per capita) are over-represented in Crashes.

    Both statements are correct (to a point) and both represent valid problems that need solutions.

    The tourist one I feel is partly due to once out of any major city, the only option to get around NZ is to drive, there's no Trains, no real public transport etc. which forces people who would likely not drive, to drive.
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

  11. #161
    Join Date
    13th July 2008 - 20:48
    Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Location
    Papakowhai
    Posts
    4,163
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonez View Post
    Anyway I'm off for a ride.
    I tried to find a way to argue with this, but I've given up.

  12. #162
    Join Date
    24th September 2004 - 06:46
    Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Location
    On the road to nowhere...
    Posts
    6,717
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    I tried to find a way to argue with this, but I've given up.
    Nice wee tooddle. Nice thing about Palmy is it's less than 10 minutes ride to some premium back roads with bugger all traffic.
    "Every time you set your ass on a bike, you're playing a game of Russian Roulette between yourself and your own stupidity."

  13. #163
    Join Date
    13th July 2008 - 20:48
    Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Location
    Papakowhai
    Posts
    4,163
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonez View Post
    Nice thing about Palmy........
    Okay, so there is something good about it.

  14. #164
    Join Date
    24th September 2004 - 06:46
    Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Location
    On the road to nowhere...
    Posts
    6,717
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Okay, so there is something good about it.
    Now cut that out you you blinken troll or I will cry
    "Every time you set your ass on a bike, you're playing a game of Russian Roulette between yourself and your own stupidity."

  15. #165
    Join Date
    13th July 2008 - 20:48
    Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Location
    Papakowhai
    Posts
    4,163
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonez View Post
    Now cut that out you you blinken troll or I will cry
    Kinda feel like that's my first ever troll. Apart from the troll bikes and troll cars I've used.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •