Thread: Brit arriving in Auckland for one month - looking for advice getting to Wellington!

Bike
    MT09

Brit arriving in Auckland for one month - looking for advice getting to Wellington!

Hi

I've booked my flights and packed my bags, and I'll be arriving in Auckland one week tomorrow.

My plan is to buy a bike, and then sell it before I leave. Rentals are too expensive so I'm taking the risk! Worst case scenario, I lose the same $ that a rental would have cost me.

I land in auckland, but the bike I've found on trademe is in Wellington.

What is the best way for me to get from Auckland to Wellington (Paraparaumu)?

My plan is like this:
    - Arrive in Auckland
    - Leave my empty suitcase in Auckland somewhere safe
    - Travel to Wellington with my motorcycle luggage (1x KRIEGA US20, 2x KRIEGA US10, 1x KRIEGA R20) + helmet, leathers etc.
    - Buy the bike, transfer ownership etc, then spend a month riding around NZ.
    - Return to Auckland, where I can sell the bike, pick up my suitcase, and fly home.

Questions:

Are there any problems with my plan?

What's the best method of getting from Auckland to Wellington with all my gear?

Anywhere safe in Auckland I can keep my empty suitcase?

Thanks all!

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by ddl.moto View Post
    Hi

I've booked my flights and packed my bags, and I'll be arriving in Auckland one week tomorrow.

My plan is to buy a bike, and then sell it before I leave. Rentals are too expensive so I'm taking the risk! Worst case scenario, I lose the same $ that a rental would have cost me.

I land in auckland, but the bike I've found on trademe is in Wellington.

What is the best way for me to get from Auckland to Wellington (Paraparaumu)?

My plan is like this:
    - Arrive in Auckland
    - Leave my empty suitcase in Auckland somewhere safe
    - Travel to Wellington with my motorcycle luggage (1x KRIEGA US20, 2x KRIEGA US10, 1x KRIEGA R20) + helmet, leathers etc.
    - Buy the bike, transfer ownership etc, then spend a month riding around NZ.
    - Return to Auckland, where I can sell the bike, pick up my suitcase, and fly home.

Questions:

Are there any problems with my plan?

What's the best method of getting from Auckland to Wellington with all my gear?

Anywhere safe in Auckland I can keep my empty suitcase?

Thanks all!
    ther are direct flights into paraparaumu or ak welly then train to paraparaumu

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    I had a couple base at my place in Auckland and he did a buy back deal on a DR 650 from a guy near Whakatane. Flight there was about $200. I think bike cost him around $1500 for 3 weeks did 7000 kms.
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    There is a passenger train from Auckland to Wellington. The Northern Explorer I think it's called. Will give you a look at a good portion of the north Island too.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    MT09
    Booked a flight to Paraparaumu with Air Chatams. Thanks!

If my luggage is over weight, I'll just wear my leathers on the plane

Bike
    Indian Scout
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanoDeano View Post
    Hey, how did you get on? I know Planet Chopper does some wicked New Zealand Motorcycle tours if you were planning on doing something along those lines.
    He may not return to this site but he had a good time. He bought my MT09, hence he flew to Paraparaumu under my advise. Well that seemed wise and was cheap but fog diverted his flight to Welly and a long bus ride back to Pram.
    He was a really nice young bloke from London. Stayed the first night at our place and popped back in to say goodbye just before flying home. He even remembered my favourite beer was Tuatara APA and dropped some off. He sold the bike ok. I was going to buying it back as a last resort if he got stuck with it. His flight home was just when the global airport lockdown started to sweep the world. Hopefully he made it via Hong Kong, which was going to be a tight connection.
    He found the MT09 perfect for his tour and of course loved the South Island.
    Happiness is a means of travel, not a destination

Thread Information