Thread: Mounting relays

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2

Mounting relays

Hi All

I am adding wiring loom goodies and part of that is adding relays. Quick question: Can I get away with a reasonably solid mount to the frame for the relay base? Or is rubber mounting in some way better or even essential?
    Google hasn't really been helpful for once. The bike's a Ducati 900SS.

Thanks in advance.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    I just used adhesive backed foam about 5mm thick under any major electrical component I mount on solid mounts. Get it from Para Rubber.

Bike
    Exercycle
    I'd go to a wrecker - car or bike - and find some moulded relay carrier pockets.

Quite recently I discovered how sensitive to mounting some relays are. Asked to sort an electrical prob on a bike I'd bult for a customer which had changed hands. Someone had added a relay to power the coils. Fault was intermittent ignition. Relay had started to self destruct internally due to banging against a frame tube.
    Ironically, the basic fault was a failing coil. The voltage drop across the original circuit switch was negligible.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Also make sure to use good quality relays. They are usually rated in terms of how much vibration they can cope with, which can be important on a motorbike.

All of the original Omron relays on the R1 in their rubber mounts are still fine after 20 years. A relay fitted recently failed after 2 years despite being mounted on a closed cell foam pad. It was some Chinese brand.

You'd think I'd know better...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Good suggestions. I've tied them to the wiring loom under a fairing infill panel before. Sounds gash I know, but it was just where it needed to be but with quick access and is damped by the wires. Only really suits odd occasions but an alternate idea.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    less than I used to have
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Good suggestions. I've tied them to the wiring loom under a fairing infill panel before. Sounds gash I know, but it was just where it needed to be but with quick access and is damped by the wires. Only really suits odd occasions but an alternate idea.

...would suit as much as a rubber boot...alternate is sometimes as good, or better...

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    Thanks all - I've posted in Winter Layup. Relays were mounted on a rubber-hinged bracket with foam pads under and over.

Thread Information