Thread: Taking a practical test with a “farm bike”, is it possible?

Bike
    Cafe Racer

Taking a practical motorcycle driving test with a “farm bike”, is it possible?

Hi,

I’m going to take a practical driving test soon but I wonder if I am able to use my current motorcycle which is a Suzuki AX 100cc (cafe racer built) registered under my husband’s name as “farm bike”. I do know that I will be provided an appropriate bike at the test but I prefer to use the bike I already got used to for my confidence. I can’t check if it is in the list of approved LAMs or not. It’s only 100cc and very fit my small body size (only use between home and work place, 2km long).

If I cant use my bike, what type of bike will be provided? I know how to use both manual or automatic bikes but the problem is I’m an Asian woman who is very small and short-legged :’(

Thanks alot!

Van Davison

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Which test? BHST? CBTA? VTNZ 6R? VTNZ 6F?

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    If its 250 or under, its LAMS approved, unless it's on the LAMS prohibited list which it isnt.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Most schools who do BHST have a GN125 or a Scorpio 225. Both have low seats, and are easy to ride. If you can ride a farm bike, you can ride a GN or a Scorpio.

You'll be fine.

Bike
    2000 kawasaki zzr1100, 88 1500 goldwing
    unless it is the BHST which is conducted off road then i would have thought you would not be able to use a farm registered bike as they are only allowed on the road for farm business traveling between farms owned or managed by the same person and if my memory serves, within a 20km circumference of the farm. been a long time since i have had a farm reg bike so it could have changed.
    Rastus, correct me if i am wrong but a bike used for practical road tests must be up to standard and have correct licensing and WOF.
    as Rastus has said, the scorpio is a very easy bike to ride as is the GN .

good luck for your test

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Which test? BHST? CBTA? VTNZ 6R? VTNZ 6F?
    or corona virus test?

Bike
    2000 kawasaki zzr1100, 88 1500 goldwing
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    or corona virus test?
    no, she said suzuki not toyota, and beer was not mentioned, so a corona test would not be needed.

Bike
    Cafe Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Most schools who do BHST have a GN125 or a Scorpio 225. Both have low seats, and are easy to ride. If you can ride a farm bike, you can ride a GN or a Scorpio.

You'll be fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by russd7 View Post
    unless it is the BHST which is conducted off road then i would have thought you would not be able to use a farm registered bike as they are only allowed on the road for farm business traveling between farms owned or managed by the same person and if my memory serves, within a 20km circumference of the farm. been a long time since i have had a farm reg bike so it could have changed.
    Rastus, correct me if i am wrong but a bike used for practical road tests must be up to standard and have correct licensing and WOF.
    as Rastus has said, the scorpio is a very easy bike to ride as is the GN .

good luck for your test
    Just checked those types of bikes recommended above and feel less worried because they are not so much different to my current bike. 😁

Sorry for any confusion about the title. I’m new to NZ, so I dont know how the test is literally called but “practical driving test”. Im doing the conversion from my overseas driving licence to NZ one. And on the application form, it said about a “practical test”. I dont like “tests” - they make me nervous 😭 I have been doing research about that test on internet for whole day and found this page which is very helpful. Thank you everyone for your comments and advices.

P.s No worries about the corona virus. I have been here since May 2019 and havent put a single step out of NZ. 😅

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by vandavison View Post

P.s No worries about the corona virus. I have been here since May 2019 and havent put a single step out of NZ. 😅
    has anyone sent you a postcard form the diamond Princess lately?

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by vandavison View Post
    Just checked those types of bikes recommended above and feel less worried because they are not so much different to my current bike. 😁

Sorry for any confusion about the title. I’m new to NZ, so I dont know how the test is literally called but “practical driving test”. Im doing the conversion from my overseas driving licence to NZ one. And on the application form, it said about a “practical test”. I dont like “tests” - they make me nervous 😭 I have been doing research about that test on internet for whole day and found this page which is very helpful. Thank you everyone for your comments and advices.

Okay, you are talking about a CBTA 6F. An overseas conversion often involves a theory test to get the 6L, then a CBTA 6F to go straight to the 6F.

I strongly recommend you liaise with a local Ride Forever provider to do a course before the test. Do a Silver course.

On that course you will come to terms with the style of riding that is expected on a riding test.

To be fair, an AX100 is less than ideal as a road bike. Obviously it can be used, as long as it is WoF and license label legal, but it's hard work trying to do the speeds required on a test. You are expected to travel within 5 kmh of any posted speed limit but not over the limit, and the AX might not manage 95 in a hundred.

Thread Information