Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hornet 250 vs Suzuki GS500F - which one to get for the beginner

Bike
    Still looking

Hornet 250 vs Suzuki GS500F - which one to get for the beginner

Hi Guys,

First of all, I would like to say hello as I am totally fresh here.

I got my learners and would like to start my adventure with riding + thinking about commuting from the Shore to the CBD as well. I am on the hunt for my first motorbike and would like to ask for advice. Initially, I have selected 2 LAMS: Honda Hornet 250 and Suzuki GS500F. My budget is max up to $3500 so that should be ok. Which bike will be better taking into account: commuting, easiness to learn on that, comfortable position, cost of riding and maintenance, reliability.

Maybe, do you have any other options that would be worth considering?

Thank you. I would appreciate any help.

Cheers
    Peter

Bike
    CT110 Super Cub - postie bike
    Stats first.
    How tall are you?
    How heavy are you?
    How old are you?
    What experience do you have?
    Grow older but never grow up

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    I'd go with the Suzuki. Far easier to maintain, simpler in design and you don't need to rev the guts out of it at legal speeds and it will see you though your restricted to full m/c licence transition and even maybe a few years after that. Should have no problem sourcng parts if you have a woopsy. Buy a hard copy or look for the pdf of the workshop manual and learn as much as you can about the bikes operation.

You guys are lucky these days. In the olden days we were limited to 250cc. Some were lucky enough to get 360, 350 or 400cc bikes and put 250 side covers or stickers on them.

Bike
    Still looking
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakie View Post
    Stats first.
    How tall are you?
    How heavy are you?
    How old are you?
    What experience do you have?
    Height 181 cm
    Weight 75 kg
    41 years
    Experience - 0 (zero😀😀&#128512

Bike
    CT110 Super Cub - postie bike
    Quote Originally Posted by calibra71207 View Post
    Height 181 cm
    Weight 75 kg
    41 years
    Experience - 0 (zero😀😀&#128512
    Probably fit both bikes OK. I'd probably go for the 500 myself and I'm about the same height (but 20kg heavier).. Less revvy and more relaxing to ride. Bottom line though ... get the one that stirs your loins.
    Grow older but never grow up

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    I was 175 Cm and 110 kg and rode a 250 hornet as a Commuter (Birkdale to Penrose), after a period of time, I got a GSX650FU which was all-round a much better bike for Commuting.

That said, the time I had on the 250 (including my first accident) was invaluable experience for when I got the bigger bike.

in short - yes, you can commute on it with your size/weight, it will be a little bit lackluster up hills, in 6th at motorway speeds (I didn't have to down-shift, but the throttle response was a case of twist wrist and then wait) and the lack of a Fairing was really noticeable on very windy days (getting blown about on the Grafton overpass was not a fun experience)

My suggestion would be to get the 250 (if it's been well-maintained) have fun on it (with a good set of Rubber and some well-maintained shocks, it's great mid-corner), build up your riding experience, drop it a few times, then get something nicer.
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Either will be fine. Buy on condition and don't skimp on tyres esp for wet weather. Buddy up and ride as much as possible in low traffic (the buddy to watch if you are out on a coast road and lob it into a shrubbery) and practice braking in carpark.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    less than I used to have
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    and practice braking
    one of the big, overall, things that so many riders don't even think about...getting out of the shit that the invariables of what riding a motorcycle is... that you will get yourself in the shit or someone or something will cause it...sage advice Dave...

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Did the whole rider trading thing for a few years and it was surprising how many people would baulk at the prospect of practicing braking from 40kph in a carpark, yet were happy to travel at 100 or more.
    Doing advanced courses we would measure the difference between braking from about 80 from first attempt to like 6th. Usually about 1/2 the distance . yet these were moderately experienced riders where their first attempt could be the one that mattered. That could have made the difference between not hitting something, or coliding at maybe 50 as the initial braking was feeble.

Heck maybe abs will make it redundant these days if you can convince them to slam it on hard and quickly. None of my bikes are yet. Now I'm not racing motorbicycles I hope dirt riding will keep me semi sharp, but I do on occasion test braking on the street where no traffic to try calibrate things.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Honda Foreman, now
    Practicing stops is worth it, true, but there's more e.g. checking following distances, observation, reacting appropriately to hazards, thinking ahead, planning escape routes, maintaining the bike, blah blah blah.

Lots to think about and do.

Bike
    Street Triple R + Yamaha R3
    One of the first things I do when I get on an unfamiliar bike is ride it somewhere quiet and see how it handles under emergency braking. I'd rather know the bike's behaviour in that situation in advance of an actual emergency stop.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Best thing the OP can do is find someone local who has been riding for a while as his mentor.

Bike
    bandit
    I was looking at a Suzuki GS500F way back as a commuter bike (I'm an experienced rider with full licence) I bought a 650 Bandit instead (not LAMS) .. afterwards the Suzuki dealer told me it was a good choice as there were reliablity issues with the 500 ..

I don't really know - but I would be loking at something else ..
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    Still looking
    I will be looking at Yamaha XJ400 Diversion as well.

When it is the best time to buy something over the year? In terms of amount of offers and pricing?

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by ellipsis View Post
    one of the big, overall, things that so many riders don't even think about...getting out of the shit that the invariables of what riding a motorcycle is... that you will get yourself in the shit or someone or something will cause it...sage advice Dave...
    It's one of the ironies of this country, that if you want to be good at a sport, you practise. But you think you are good at braking without practise.

Thread Information