Thread: How to obtain export/de-registration certificate for motorcycle from Japan?

Bike
    1982 Ducati 900SS

How to obtain export/de-registration certificate for motorcycle from Japan?

Hi all

I'm looking into the process for getting a bike road legal. It has no papers or documents of any kind but it otherwise a pretty standard functional motorbike. The bike has been in NZ for anything up to 23 years and there's no connection to whoever brought it in in the first place. It was never complied or registered here and has been sitting gathering dust with only 200km on the clock and a rusty tank..

I've been to VINZ and they looked at it.. said it could be done, but I need to get the export or de-registration certificate that would have been done when it left Japan.

I've searched around online and I see there are various websites that offer to provide replacement certificates if you provide the chassis number. But you have to pay before they check anything, and it's not clear to me whether they are scam sites or not.

So the question is... has anyone here done this before and can they provide me some clues as to how to go about it?
    Thanks heaps
    Rob

Bike
    GSXR1000
    I've been involved with imported vehicles for over 20yrs and thankfully never lost a de-reg yet so haven't had to use that service, but I do recognise this company so am confident they won't scam you.

https://www.jevic.com/services/vehic...ion/index.html

Bike
    1982 Ducati 900SS
    Hi bandit

Thanks for this. I've called their NZ agent on the site there and he was very knowledgeable and helpful. Looks like I've got a bit of drama to go through as there is really no documentation available for this bike, but I'll give it my best shot.
    Regards
    ROb

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Quote Originally Posted by ROBAX View Post
    Hi bandit

Thanks for this. I've called their NZ agent on the site there and he was very knowledgeable and helpful. Looks like I've got a bit of drama to go through as there is really no documentation available for this bike, but I'll give it my best shot.
    Regards
    ROb
    Glad to be able to help, good luck with your venture and let us know how you get on.

Thread Information