Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I really don't get NZ pricing.

Bike
    Yo momma
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    I rang three times but each time it went through to a message system. On the last call I left a message, that was Friday. Tuesday morning (today) I got a reply. I think it's a combination of both.
    Apparently they don't want your business so don't give it to them.
    Lets go Brandon

Bike
    Yo momma
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    The option most of us want to take buying the motorcycle parts we want ... is the quickest option. Until we find the item is not in stock (and the price that they'll charge when it does arrive). Suddenly the delivery time doesn't matter. Cost often overrides delivery time as a purchase factor. The more that choose online purchases ... the less businesses will be able to stay in business. Import (used) motorcycles changed the game. Most Motorcycle shops wont stock parts for models that weren't imported new here. And the pricey bits that seldom get asked for ... are unlikely to be kept in stock .. for a "just in case" sale.

A dammed if you do ... and dammed if you don't ... for the shops parts department.

It is not just Motorcycle parts department's affected ... ALL vehicle parts departments are having the same issue.

Is it likely to get better anytime soon ... ?? Probably not.

It is up to the individual person wanting to buy a part for anything ... to choose THEIR best option.

The choice is speed or cost. The final cost is often not seen ... Somebody will lose if the cost is the deciding factor.
    None of that gives the shops any excuse for shitty service or being totally ignored by parts counter and sales people.
    If anything the shops should be actively upping their level of service to encourage customers to spend more and wait longer for their items.
    Lets go Brandon

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonu View Post
    None of that gives the shops any excuse for shitty service or being totally ignored by parts counter and sales people.
    If anything the shops should be actively upping their level of service to encourage customers to spend more and wait longer for their items.
    No ... it doesn't. But it wont stop them believing the average biker wanting bit's for their pride and joy ... are deliberately shafting THEM by buying online.

It is my belief ... the actual meaning of the word "Service" was lost in translation many years ago. Don't count on it's return to popular use anytime soon. In fact ... if you find/have a place that DOES give good service ... post about it in these forums. A thread of it's own maybe ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Even if it was in stock and I could see it sitting there I wouldn't pay 3 times the amount for it. I expected this part for my 2002 GSXR to not be in stock and to have to wait for it to come from Japan. But not at 3 times the amount.
    Neither would I. A few years ago when personal computers were not commonplace ... we had no choice. They are now and there is a choice.

Will this force parts departments to become a thing of the past soon ???

Or speed and cost as in my example. I can guarantee I'd have it here quicker from America than they would from Japan (and I understand why from working at a Honda M/C dealership).
    Exactly. Another reason Parts departments will be a thing of the past. Neither the business OR the punter will be able to afford to keep or use it.

I've bought from bike shops before and paid a little more than I would've from overseas but speed played a big factor in justifying the $250-$300 extra on a $1600 helmet as an example. But 3 times the price? Nope. If it was a critical part I still wouldn't pay that. It simply isn't justifiable.
    Most prefer to try a helmet on BEFORE buying it. I have seen posts on here about buying one online and it not fitted properly. The same issue can be found with some clothing too. Those that choose this method of purchase ... be it on their own head.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    It seems I.missed the memo about speed or cost.

Buying locally took ages and cost lots.
    There is only speed if it's in stock.

It seams a reality now .... if you intend to do an engine rebuild ... or replace major parts on a vehicle ... you buy the parts online before you start. It's often refered to as good planning.

In essence ... we are the cause of the systems demise and issues. Buy local or it will cost more ... take longer ... and/or we lose it entirely.

Be it on our own heads ...

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Most prefer to try a helmet on BEFORE buying it. I have seen posts on here about buying one online and it not fitted properly. The same issue can be found with some clothing too. Those that choose this method of purchase ... be it on their own head.
    Agreed. However I've mostly worn the same brand of helmet (Arai) for the past 20yrs so know my sizing well.

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    I heard straight from the mouth of someone who used to be part of the family owned Suzuki NZ (before it was acquired by Suzuki Japan), that on some of the higher ticket price parts, Suzuki put up to 300% mark-up on them.

I try to support the NZ motorcycle industry as much as I can too (it makes sense for me to do so) but even I have bought items from overseas that would have been considerably dearer if purchased here.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Just to share a little light in a darkish thread.

After my Ducati was knocked over in the carpark at work a few years ago I was keen to get it back on the road. The last holdup was a replacement handlebar. There would be a delay for the Ducati part. I asked the shop to order the appropriate Renthal bar. I was in the shop after work so it was closing time but they put a call through to the agent. The woman there explained that they were closing but she would stay behind and get one packed so it would go on the courier that night.

I was grateful because that meant the following day I got my bike back. Service 'above and beyond' is unusual but it does exist.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Globally, Arai helmets are a big player. They sponsor racers, and they make good kit. I have one (which I ended up buying from Straya because you guessed it you cant get the full range here). Literally no one stocks any Arai helmets here (Chch). I have seen them on the shelf at Motomail I think but that is the only place that has them.

One place said "tell me what you want and I can try and order it for you" "try". Hell with that.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    GSXR1000
    In essence ... we are the cause of the systems demise and issues. Buy local or it will cost more ... take longer ... and/or we lose it entirely.

Be it on our own heads ...
    Huh? We're the cause of an importer charging excessive amounts for airfreight? The cause of dealers charging 3 times the price of a product? If I'm missing something please shed some light.

No ... it doesn't. But it wont stop them believing the average biker wanting bit's for their pride and joy ... are deliberately shafting THEM by buying online.

I worked at a Honda dealer years ago, people that walked in off the street we didn't know who wanted bearings got sold the Honda stock. People the other staff knew got the bearing number and sent down to SKC (I think it was) to buy the exact same bearing for 1/3 the price. This was in 1996/7.

My contact at the dealership for this particular part I'm after fully understood I'm not trying to 'shaft them' by buying online. He said for $600 less it made no sense for me to buy it from them even though I want to support them. His words.

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Apparently they don't want your business so don't give it to them.
    Which sucks, because I like dealing with them.

Very true. I've worked in car sales for years and every client that walked onto my yard gets acknowledged within 3-4mins. Even if I was on a phone call or dealing with another client eye contact was made along a simple sign of acknowledgement.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    Globally, Arai helmets are a big player. They sponsor racers, and they make good kit. I have one (which I ended up buying from Straya because you guessed it you cant get the full range here). Literally no one stocks any Arai helmets here (Chch). I have seen them on the shelf at Motomail I think but that is the only place that has them.
    I bought my first Arai from Hamilton Motorcycle Centre, they are not currently advertising Arai. One of the shops in New Plymouth did stock them but these days they are big on HJC. The other one I have was on 'sale' in the USA, @ about half NZ price.

The New Plymouth shop that had them sold one to Sensei, a former KBer. One of the side pods broke, he took it back and was told there was no warranty. He phoned the importer and IIRC the part arrived promptly, and free of charge.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    I was pleasantly surprised buying parts when I had my yamaha(s), it was near enough the same price to buy through the local dealer ex aussie in a couple of days as it was to buy from overseas, hence they continued to get my business.

Parts for my euro cars all come from overseas, as in general the local OEM parts people are thieving bastards, then again so are Toyota and Honda dealers.

I tried to get a spare key for my merc while I was in the US as they cost US$150 there, as opposed to $800 from the chch dealer, but they aren't allowed to code keys for cars outside their country presumably to prevent people doing exactly what I was trying to do and sidestep the local dealer.

We have had the same situation at work buying gear, where we can't buy direct and have to go through the local agent, who in turn buys from someone else, who buys from someone else, who buys from someone else....so something that would cost you $200 direct from the manufacturer ends up costing $1000+ by the time it turns up at the office. We also now have a couple of 'agents' overseas who are quite happy to take delivery of things purchased directly, and then send them on to NZ.
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    The New Plymouth shop that had them sold one to Sensei, a former KBer. One of the side pods broke, he took it back and was told there was no warranty. He phoned the importer and IIRC the part arrived promptly, and free of charge.
    That's crazy. I've bought a couple Arai helmets in Japan on trips there and once at my local Arai agent in ChCh they noticed a broken pod. I said I knew of it but as I had bought it overseas I'd pay for it myself. Nope, was told it was part of being an Arai agent, it didn't matter where you bought it from they'd sort it.

....maybe that's why less businesses are carrying Arai now....?

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Huh? We're the cause of an importer charging excessive amounts for airfreight? The cause of dealers charging 3 times the price of a product? If I'm missing something please shed some light.
    If everybody had to buy vehicle parts from a licensed dealer ... I'm pretty sure the prices would come down at most dealerships. Those that didn't would charge more to pay their (other) bills. If the need for an import license was required again ... the prices may not be as they used to be ... but there would be more dealerships about. Competition does wonders for the average punter in regards to prices charged. At present it's a "Take it or leave it" ... BUT ... You STILL have that option. Support the firms that support you. Make NO apology about it ... if that wont/can't happen either.

I worked at a Honda dealer years ago, people that walked in off the street we didn't know who wanted bearings got sold the Honda stock. People the other staff knew got the bearing number and sent down to SKC (I think it was) to buy the exact same bearing for 1/3 the price. This was in 1996/7.
    A business that supported those that supported them. As it should/could be.

My contact at the dealership for this particular part I'm after fully understood I'm not trying to 'shaft them' by buying online. He said for $600 less it made no sense for me to buy it from them even though I want to support them. His words.
    Of course they understand ... they cannot say otherwise. They have bills to pay too. But ... If THEY buy their parts from the SAME outfit's that sell cheaper ... would THEY sell them cheaper than current high prices ... or do they (are they) buying cheap and selling at the inflated prices ???

Are the dealers locked into buying ex Japan ... ???

Thread Information