Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big ups for service in Whanganui

Bike
    Sold

Big ups for service in Whanganui

Just got back from a 2100 km tour of the north island tied up with attending an IAM conference in Porirua. Setting up the chain tension on the 790 Duke is a bit tricky but thought I'd checked it ok with the small extra luggage load - they're a bit sensitive to that. Anyhow, after going through the Forgotten Highway and down to Whanganui, I noticed that it was a bit tight and noisy. Not having the proper tools, I jumped on the 'net and rang a repair shop in Whanganui. Explained the situation and although he was hellish busy, the owner dropped everything, adjusted my chain, re-adjusted it and got it just perfect. Took him around 30 mins and I gave him $50. He refused to take it but finally managed to press $20 on him for a few beers. Brian Thorley Motorcycle Repairs in Ridgway St is the guy. I'll try and think of something else nice to do for him, simply because he's a top bloke.

The rest of the tour was fantastic. Over the Rimutakas from Porirua in the wet, out to Castlepoint, up to Napier on the back roads from Masterton, round East Cape to Waihau Bay and home to Coromandel. We are so privileged to ride bikes in this country. The Duke turned out to be a respectable tourer travelling light too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200221_083417.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	813.7 KB 
ID:	344774   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1597.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	729.6 KB 
ID:	344777   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200224_190828.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	816.6 KB 
ID:	344775   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200225_080340.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	830.5 KB 
ID:	344776  

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Good to hear about people like this.
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by slofox View Post
    Good to hear about people like this.
    Brian was a really nice guy. He'd apparently been at work since 7am because of his workload. It's a real pleasure to try and do something for the good guys of this world.

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    Nice one
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by merv View Post
    Nice one
    Thanks Merv! We weren't far from you on Sunday. Came round the Whitby side of the inlet with Davey U on our way over to Castlepoint.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Just got back from a 2100 km tour of the north island tied up with attending an IAM conference in Porirua. Setting up the chain tension on the 790 Duke is a bit tricky but thought I'd checked it ok with the small extra luggage load - they're a bit sensitive to that. Anyhow, after going through the Forgotten Highway and down to Whanganui, I noticed that it was a bit tight and noisy. Not having the proper tools, I jumped on the 'net and rang a repair shop in Whanganui. Explained the situation and although he was hellish busy, the owner dropped everything, adjusted my chain, re-adjusted it and got it just perfect. Took him around 30 mins and I gave him $50. He refused to take it but finally managed to press $20 on him for a few beers. Brian Thorley Motorcycle Repairs in Ridgway St is the guy. I'll try and think of something else nice to do for him, simply because he's a top bloke.

The rest of the tour was fantastic. Over the Rimutakas from Porirua in the wet, out to Castlepoint, up to Napier on the back roads from Masterton, round East Cape to Waihau Bay and home to Coromandel. We are so privileged to ride bikes in this country. The Duke turned out to be a respectable tourer travelling light too.
    wait till you're racing at boxing day and find an issue christmas afternoon in wanganui, they're lining up with proper shed's proper knowledge too and there's always left over xmas dinner lying around too

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    wait till you're racing at boxing day and find an issue christmas afternoon in wanganui, they're lining up with proper shed's proper knowledge too and there's always left over xmas dinner lying around too
    That's so neat! Actually, a quick tour round the countryside like we just did is a nice reminder that for all the news about people being complete twats, the majority of people in this country are a kind-hearted lot ready and willing to help their fellow citizens out. Wherever we stopped, whether it be at cafes, evening accommodation etc, people were bloody nice. I was just socially chatting to the attendant at the Mobil gas station in Masterton on the corner of the Castlepoint road whilst filling up and was offered a complimentary coffee whilst we finished our conversation!

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Guys like this are pure gold, keep telling us when you find them and for the rest of us, do it too.
    Great Pics, was last in Whangamomana 2 years ago, must be time wifey and I went back.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Have you considered a shaft drive? Then you don't have to stop and talk to people... more fuel range means even less stopping
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by caseye View Post
    Guys like this are pure gold, keep telling us when you find them and for the rest of us, do it too.
    Great Pics, was last in Whangamomana 2 years ago, must be time wifey and I went back.
    Hi Caseye,
    We hadn't stopped overnight there for about 4 years and it's still excellent. I believe it's up for sale again. Probably not a long term ownership option when you have young kids. The Waihau Bay accommodation was sensationally good. The top floor unit had 3 bedrooms with two beds each plus 2 more beds in a lounge alcove. There were only 3 of us but at about $230 for the whole unit, it would be super-cheap for a bunch of you. Food was great too. Have chucked in some photos

Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Have you considered a shaft drive? Then you don't have to stop and talk to people... more fuel range means even less stopping
    Hi Alan,
    Well I haven't considered a GSA, I'd need a step ladder. I suppose I could think about one if I wanted to plough a field and needed a tractor It's good to stop, then we can try out the local delicacies
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Panoramic Waihau Bay.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	767.5 KB 
ID:	344785   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200224_183559.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	781.9 KB 
ID:	344782   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200224_203200.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	514.7 KB 
ID:	344783   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1605.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	780.1 KB 
ID:	344784  

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    No pies?! Not sure this can be considered a road trip...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Sold
    No pies?! Not sure this can be considered a road trip...
    Yep, saw your post on Facebook about the place in Whanganui so we went there - delicious. We mostly ate decent stuff though

Bike
    06 scrambler,xrl,
    Blog Entries
    Was Brians app back in the day.
    Call him "Dude"

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Stopping is one of the ways to enjoy riding, if planned well. My bike can go past 400 km based on fuel, but I rarely go more than 200 km without wanting to stretch the old legs.

With you on the shaft drive through.

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Stopping is one of the ways to enjoy riding, if planned well. My bike can go past 400 km based on fuel, but I rarely go more than 200 km without wanting to stretch the old legs.

With you on the shaft drive through.
    I'm certainly not anti-shaft drive Peter, I had a BMW K100RS for 8 years. As a relative shortarse coupled with being in my 70's, a light bike like the KTM ticks most of the boxes for my current needs. Plus the fact that it makes me laugh every time I ride it!

Thread Information