Thread: Identifying a LAMS bike

Bike
    2013 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom

Identifying a LAMS bike

My partner and I are new to New Zealand and are shopping for a couple of used Suzuki DL650 V-Stroms. Looking through TradeMe, some of the ads mention "Full Power" or "LAMS." It appears that there are two flavors of that model in the market. Our US licenses converted over to Class 6 unrestricted motorcycle licenses here, so we would of course want the non-LAMS "Full Power" versions.

Is there any indication on the motorcycle itself whether or not its LAMS-compliant, or do we just have to trust the seller's word or memory to determine whether it is or isn't? I'm hoping there's some permanent marker like a stamped plate to indicate LAMS compliance.

Perhaps it's on the registration (the LAMS model is a DL650AUE), but I've found that those aren't always accurate (our Golf Wagon is somehow listed as a "GTI").

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Quote Originally Posted by GoJohnGo View Post
    My partner and I are new to New Zealand and are shopping for a couple of used Suzuki DL650 V-Stroms. Looking through TradeMe, some of the ads mention "Full Power" or "LAMS." It appears that there are two flavors of that model in the market. Our US licenses converted over to Class 6 unrestricted motorcycle licenses here, so we would of course want the non-LAMS "Full Power" versions.

Is there any indication on the motorcycle itself whether or not its LAMS-compliant, or do we just have to trust the seller's word or memory to determine whether it is or isn't? I'm hoping there's some permanent marker like a stamped plate to indicate LAMS compliance.

Perhaps it's on the registration (the LAMS model is a DL650AUE), but I've found that those aren't always accurate (our Golf Wagon is somehow listed as a "GTI").
    Best way of identifying it? Grab the chassis number and call your local Suzuki dealership.

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    There's a few ways.

One is the Model number - from memory Suzuki uses a suffixed U to denote a LAMS bike eg:

GSX650FU
    GSXR600U

As above you can check the Chassis number

Or you can Check wire 39 on the ECU.

If it doesn't exist or has been cut it's not or no longer LAMS.
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    2013 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    Best way of identifying it? Grab the chassis number and call your local Suzuki dealership.
    Called the dealership in Petone. They told me they check the Suzuki Dealer database for "their" bikes. I said I had a VIN and he could use that to check this on his system. He stated that he didn't want to violate privacy regulations (?) and suggested I contact VTNZ. I called them; they said they only deal with cars and that I should contact NZTA. Called NZTA; 10 minute hold; first person didn't know what LAMS was and escalated me to someone more senior; 10 minute hold; senior person decided that I needed to talk with Driver Licensing, despite my protestation that my question was about a bike, not a rider; 15 minute hold; Driver Licensing person looked up the rego and decided that since it was registered as a DL650A and the LAMS-approved version is a DL650AUE, that the bike was not LAMS-approved.

1. The local dealer was anti-helpful and doesn't appear to want my service or parts business once I buy the bike.
    2. There doesn't appear to be a way to determine whether or not it's a LAMS version simply by inspecting the bike.
    3. The rego may give an indication (I saw a picture of the rego of another DL650 on TradeMe and it listed the model as "DL650AUE" and actually said "LAM").
    4. Don't trust the seller's judgment; do your research.
    5. My research indicates that all DL650s up until around 2014 (when the DL650AUE was introduced) were full-power versions, despite some sellers claiming that earlier bikes were LAMS-compliant.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    If it's an option, you'll know after a short ride.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    If it's an option, you'll know after a short ride.
    Only if you ride a non-LAMS one to compare. The school I used to work at had a LAMS Wee-Strom, and it was great to ride. Two up touring with luggage might be a challenge though.

Given what most people do with them, it had plenty of guts for the design purpose.If you want a track bike though, a LAMS Wee Strom isn't the bike for you.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    No, they don't go up hills well. We had someone with a LAMS GSX650 riding with us at the weekend and he dropped behind very quickly on the hills.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    No, they don't go up hills well. We had someone with a LAMS GSX650 riding with us at the weekend and he dropped behind very quickly on the hills.
    Potentially a combination of the bike and the skill of the rider?

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Yeah. If the rider dropped a gear or two and upped the revs it wouldn't have been much of a problem. I've ridden with guys who have had Hyosung 250s and they had no issue with hills.

Personally I think this whole LAMPS thing on bikes over 500cc is a big con.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Potentially a combination of the bike and the skill of the rider?
    I asked him what happened on the hills and he said the power actually decreased if you changed down and increased the revs, like a very soft limiter. So he would have to find a gear where it would hold enough revs to get up the hill.

Remember there are some steep hills on the Coro loop. It seemed to keep up well the rest of the time.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonez View Post
    Yeah. If the rider dropped a gear or two and upped the revs it wouldn't have been much of a problem. I've ridden with guys who have had Hyosung 250s and they had no issue with hills.

Personally I thing this whole LAMPS thing on bikes over 500cc is a big con.
    Yeah, I don't understand the point of a LAMS bike that is bigger and weighs more than my R1.

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonez View Post

Personally I think this whole LAMPS thing on bikes over 500cc is a big con.
    I loved my 650 LAMS.

Even better when it got the Snip.

IMO - it gives a rider a good introduction to Big-boy Bikes, but with some metaphorical training wheels.
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Yeah, I don't understand the point of a LAMS bike that is bigger and weighs more than my R1.
    You might if you were say 6"7 and weighed 110kg. (I don't but I remember prior to the law change people like this getting exemptions to ride a bike bigger than 250cc so it fit them)

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    You might if you were say 6"7 and weighed 110kg. (I don't but I remember prior to the law change people like this getting exemptions to ride a bike bigger than 250cc so it fit them)
    Wot 'e said.

10 char.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    The power to weight ratio give a wider range of motorcycles than EVER available in the past. It was instigated to suit a greater range of the size of riders as well.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Thread Information