Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cafe Racer Mods and WOF

Bike
    1986 GSX400E

Cafe Racer Mods and WOF

Hey all. Sorry if this is covered elsewhere, I couldn’t find a thread. Share if you know of one.

I’m converting an old GSX twin into a cafe style and I have a list of “like to do’s”.

Would any or all of these mods fail a warrant of fitness to an already registered bike?

- forks lowered slightly by just extending above triple an inch or so.
    - clipons added and old clamped bar milled flush
    - rear frame shortened and hoop to support TT style hump
    - rear-sets as a potential option. This will include removing the pillion pegs permanently.
    - aftermarket headlight, indicators and brake lights.
    - engine mods like a modded exhaust and pods (yes I’m jetting - I’m not a noob)

TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by crashalots View Post
    - engine mods like a modded exhaust and pods (yes I’m jetting - I’m not a noob)

don't recall any of the twins coming out with slide carbs, all CV's. little more to it than jetting....
    unless you're looking for 'truns heads everywhere' bike, which really means cunts are just shaking their heads in disbelief of it running like shit

Bike
    1986 GSX400E
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    don't recall any of the twins coming out with slide carbs, all CV's. little more to it than jetting....
    unless you're looking for 'truns heads everywhere' bike, which really means cunts are just shaking their heads in disbelief of it running like shit
    Yup Mikuni BS34 CVs. Slightly more than the jets to modify, yes, but that wasn’t the question on the post was it?

I see you weighing in on several threads concerning stock certification. What do you know about the WOF stringency for Cafe mods?

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    OK only the bits I can be sure of...

Forks - may introduce handling problems if taken too far, could be an issue for wof if tester knows this and is picky

Clipons - no probs but be sure about steering lock and working controls with gloved hands

Engine intake and exhaust mods - no probs as long as it passes noise tests however may (will?) raise LAMs issues.

Aftermarket headlight, indicators and brake lights - Depends. Purchasable doesn't guarantee it's legal. Even if it's legal, it's got to work in the real world (ie be seen and understood by dimwit cagers), I've seen tiny LED indicators disappear completely in afternoon sunshine for example.

Frame - could go very badly wrong, advise extreme caution here. Seek experience. I can't offer more than that sorry.

Bike
    motocompo
    A lot of that depends on the inspector knowing what a standard version of that model looks like in detail.
    Best thing is to do the work well & keep your mouth shut when you go for a wof.
    None of it sounds extreme. Huge difference between welding a hoop to the rear of the frame, and raking out the steering head.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by crashalots View Post
    Yup Mikuni BS34 CVs. Slightly more than the jets to modify, yes, but that wasn’t the question on the post was it?

I see you weighing in on several threads concerning stock certification. What do you know about the WOF stringency for Cafe mods?

maybe it wasn't the question, but the mistake has been made many times by people whose mate's bro has done it no worries.

A lot of the WOF people simply don't know their shit, there are certain angles indicators must be seen from for example, I see many bikes on the road that shouldn't get a warrant but they do.
    My trailer got two warrants a year for eight years then they failed it on light position, even gave me a drawing 80degrees vision i think the drawing said, i asked for their measuring JIG, after all it's a non judgeable thing, they must have one, no just their eye.

check out the LVV codes and work to that, as one day the guy at the testing shop will not know, the next they'll pull you up. find someone that actually knows their shit, not a mate of a mate and talk to them simply. i've had to mod this to lvv specs but don't need to lvv it, but don't want someone at the warrant place being clver so went ahead and got shit bang on with the rules in front of me simply
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	boxing day 2019.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	344791  

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    A lot of that depends on the inspector knowing what a standard version of that model looks like in detail.
    None of it sounds extreme. Huge difference between welding a hoop to the rear of the frame, and raking out the steering head.
    they'll get an idea it's not factory, as you say good workmanship is something that makes them a bit more comfortable. number plates for example must be within 15 degrees of vertical on new builds, how many on the road are like that?
    is this bike in the system or not?

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Forks would have to have clearance on full compression.
    Pillion pegs remove no drama as long as there's no pillion seat.
    Modify the frame? I'd expect am LVV would be required. Got one for my braced frame but certifiers aren't easy to find.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    1986 GSX400E
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    they'll get an idea it's not factory, as you say good workmanship is something that makes them a bit more comfortable. number plates for example must be within 15 degrees of vertical on new builds, how many on the road are like that?
    is this bike in the system or not?
    Yeah bike in the system and on hold.

I can guarantee the workmanship will be immaculate so that’s ok I guess (that’s what I am good at)

I called a custom bike mod place today and had a long chat. He said don’t touch the brakes, forks, and primary frame and any other mods are allowed - as long as they conform to general rules (I guess like your indicator example)

He said in many years doing mods the only LVVs he’d sought was for full custom chopper builds and 1 time he changed the rake on a standard bikes forks.

Bike
    1986 GSX400E
    Quote Originally Posted by OddDuck View Post
    OK only the bits I can be sure of...

Forks - may introduce handling problems if taken too far, could be an issue for wof if tester knows this and is picky

Clipons - no probs but be sure about steering lock and working controls with gloved hands

Engine intake and exhaust mods - no probs as long as it passes noise tests however may (will?) raise LAMs issues.

Aftermarket headlight, indicators and brake lights - Depends. Purchasable doesn't guarantee it's legal. Even if it's legal, it's got to work in the real world (ie be seen and understood by dimwit cagers), I've seen tiny LED indicators disappear completely in afternoon sunshine for example.

Frame - could go very badly wrong, advise extreme caution here. Seek experience. I can't offer more than that sorry.
    Ok thanks OddDuck. Some good info. Same mentioned at custom mod shop today so you are spot on.

Bike
    1986 GSX400E
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    Ok yes, the only real ‘mod’ will be the shortened tail subframe which should be mostly obscured by the seat hump. All others mostly cosmetic.

I’m pretty confident of pushing forward.

Thanks for the help.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    An issue with clips-ons or drop bars is at lock to lock the switch blocks could bash into the tank.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Get the rules, read them. Indicators etc need to have correct lettering on them, DOT or whatever. A rereg will pick that up, you local bikeshop may let it slide.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    1986 GSX400E
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonez View Post
    An issue with clips-ons is at lock to lock the switch blocks could bash into the tank.
    Haha I saw a really good YouTube video of a guy talking about bad cafe mods.
    He said (angrily)“if I ever see another cafe with dents in tank from the clipons slapping it, I’ll give them a blood nose”

I’ll trial a set above and below the triple clamp and see how they fit.

Worst case I use clubmans ... but I’m not a fan.

Bike
    1986 GSX400E
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Get the rules, read them. Indicators etc need to have correct lettering on them, DOT or whatever. A rereg will pick that up, you local bikeshop may let it slide.
    First rule about modding motorcycles:

Thread Information