Thread: Sold a bike to be used as a track bike without deregistering

Bike
    Ninja 636

Sold a bike to be used as a track bike without deregistering

Hey guys, just wondering what I should/need to do.. I had an old Suzuki FXR150 that was sitting in the garage for a couple of years with it’s licence on hold. I sold it the other month to a guy who wanted to convert it to a bucket racer so I didn’t even think about transferring the registration. I’ve now just received an email saying that my licence exemption has expired so I’ll either have to re-apply for the exemption or re-register the bike. I’ve looked into it a bit more and apparently NZTA will de-register any vehicle that hasn’t held a licence for 12 months. Is this true? If not, what can I do to get rid of the bike being under my name still?

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeks89 View Post
    Hey guys, just wondering what I should/need to do.. I had an old Suzuki FXR150 that was sitting in the garage for a couple of years with it’s licence on hold. I sold it the other month to a guy who wanted to convert it to a bucket racer so I didn’t even think about transferring the registration. I’ve now just received an email saying that my licence exemption has expired so I’ll either have to re-apply for the exemption or re-register the bike. I’ve looked into it a bit more and apparently NZTA will de-register any vehicle that hasn’t held a licence for 12 months. Is this true? If not, what can I do to get rid of the bike being under my name still?
    Simple, change the ownership, forms at any VTNZ and then it's gone forever, up to the new owner what he does then, re regiters or writes off the road to become a track bike.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    KX450 Motard/Flat Track KTM150SX H2R
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeks89 View Post
    either get the plates off the guy and surrender them, or do a change of ownership if you have the guys details to do it,

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    You could actually call nzta and ask but they will deregister it if you haven't paid them any money .
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    2000 kawasaki zzr1100, 88 1500 goldwing
    no vehicle leaves my possession until i have completed at least the seller part of transfer, easily done online on a smart phone

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Of course the real answer was to race the bike yourself.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by caseye View Post
    Simple, change the ownership, forms at any VTNZ and then it's gone forever, up to the new owner what he does then, re regiters or writes off the road to become a track bike.
    A good plan.

But … ANY time your bike spends without CURRENT registration is attributable to you … as the registered owner at that time. A change of ownership will put the cost on to the NEW owner from the date of change of ownership ONLY.

Not a big deal you might think / say … BUT the bill for unpaid rego will not disappear forever. The powers that be want the money. So they pass the account onto a debt collection agency. They add their % onto the account and YOUR name is in THEIR books. And until YOU pay that account … it remains your problem.

No worries you say … maybe … well not really. until you get / need a credit check done on you.

And you fail it.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    A good plan.

But … ANY time your bike spends without CURRENT registration is attributable to you … as the registered owner at that time. A change of ownership will put the cost on to the NEW owner from the date of change of ownership ONLY.

Not a big deal you might think / say … BUT the bill for unpaid rego will not disappear forever. The powers that be want the money. So they pass the account onto a debt collection agency. They add their % onto the account and YOUR name is in THEIR books. And until YOU pay that account … it remains your problem.

No worries you say … maybe … well not really. until you get / need a credit check done on you.

And you fail it.
    True enough and not untought of when I offered my advice, but I did assume that the OP had only recently had this headache.
    Assuming he's talking days not months, the damage will be minimal, but as stated, the problem does disappear, once any arrears are made good.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...just paperwork...do it...ffs...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by caseye View Post
    True enough and not untought of when I offered my advice, but I did assume that the OP had only recently had this headache.
    Assuming he's talking days not months, the damage will be minimal, but as stated, the problem does disappear, once any arrears are made good.
    Those other blights on you credit status can be unpaid power bills from the place you rented four moves ago. The one where you gave your new/old flatmate the money to pay outstanding the power/internet/rent bill that you never got around to sorting.

Those in doubt … get yourself checked out.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Thread Information