Thread: Tyres - 71 OIF Tiger 650

Bike
    Old Bikes

Tyres - 71 OIF Tiger 650

My bike needs new boots front and back. I bought it 18 months ago with Avon Speedmaster on the front ( 3.25 x 19 ) and a square profile Avon SM on the back ( 400 x 18 ). Central Otago coarse chip roads have chewed them up pretty quickly.

Vintage looks aren’t important to me.

Anyone know if I can get a 4.25 x 18 round/triangle profile tyre into the rear without fouling the swing arm?

I’m thinking Dunlop TT100 in the back and K70 on the front because I can get them locally. Otherwise Metzlers if they fit.

What are we using for a regular rider?
    Ginge

Bike
    BSA A10
    Lots of reports of K70 wearing fast, I'm not expecting great life out of the one I have on the rear of my BSA but they handle and grip ok, I'd be more inclined to try ME77 Metzler in 350-19 front and 400-18 rear or not concerned about looks Bridgestone BT45 in equivalent metric sizes although they are a bit more "sport" orientated
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Shinko SR712s should do the job. I use them with tubes on my '76 cb550 and you don't pay an arm and a leg for them https://www.shinkotireusa.com/product/712-tire/211902 Used them in all road riding conditions and have no complaints at all. Average just over 10,000km for rear and 13,000kms for the front.

Currently running an IRC front as I was curious as to how well it went. No problems with that either with a SR712 rear.

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Id go the BT45's front and back. Wear is acceptable and so is handling... Ultimate in grip I'd go for Avons but I've run BT45's on Triumphs and Guzzis for yonks and both have clearance issues. BT45 seems a smidge narrower.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    I had Metzeler Lazertecs on the CB750 I just sold. They gripped well - I sold it before I could give you a heads up on wear rate.

I also remember that pattern from the 80's so they look sort of vintage-y. Reasonable price too I thought.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    I had Metzeler Lazertecs on the CB750 I just sold. They gripped well - I sold it before I could give you a heads up on wear rate.

I also remember that pattern from the 80's so they look sort of vintage-y. Reasonable price too I thought.
    Yeah ME33/ME55 Lazers pattern. Lasertechs wear pretty well. I've had them and their predecessors on a number of bikes over the years.

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonez View Post
    Yeah ME33/ME55 Lazers pattern. Lasertechs wear pretty well. I've had them and their predecessors on a number of bikes over the years.
    Yup - an ME33 is kind of a universal front - goes with anything...

Bike
    Old Bikes
    Cheers all.
    Ginge

Thread Information