Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VFR1200F loads of extra's

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    The mods make the bike easier to sell but they don't enhance the value.

Honda completely oversold the bike pre launch. No bike could live up to the ad campaign they threw at it.

It was a good bike, I rode one and liked it. People picked on the relatively short tank range as a fault and that was a problem - if nowhere as bad as was made out. Obviously it can pose a problem when touring in remote places far from home, but seriously, how often do most people do that? Many probably never. Anyone who has never toured the island they don't live in, would probably not have been inconvenienced.
    Absolutely Pritch - I couldn't agree more. A friend now rides an R1200RS having traded his VFR1200 for it. In his words the Honda was potent but not as refined as the BMW. To me it didn't offer enough advantages over the VFR800 for the extra money. Plus I preferred my Sprint GT, especially given its lower price.

I just don't understand why Honda sold it as being the next big thing when it was simply a very good Sports Tourer, nothing more or less.

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    The mods make the bike easier to sell but they don't enhance the value.

Honda completely oversold the bike pre launch. No bike could live up to the ad campaign they threw at it.

It was a good bike, I rode one and liked it. People picked on the relatively short tank range as a fault and that was a problem - if nowhere as bad as was made out. Obviously it can pose a problem when touring in remote places far from home, but seriously, how often do most people do that? Many probably never. Anyone who has never toured the island they don't live in, would probably not have been inconvenienced.
    The other angle on the VFR1200 fading away quickly isn't the bike's fault, the market had moved on from this style of bike by the time it was released.

From a personal perspective it just didn't stand out, and too expensive for what it offered. Typical Honda problem

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    From a personal perspective it just didn't stand out, and too expensive for what it offered. Typical Honda problem
    Correct! There was a lot of expectation that it would be the new Blackbird and when it wasn't, there was no marketing angle.

Bike
    Honda PC800
    I always though the 1200 was aimed fair and square at Police service. In that role I figure its about perfect.
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by FROSTY View Post
    I always though the 1200 was aimed fair and square at Police service. In that role I figure its about perfect.
    Only if you're doing most of your time in higher speed zones, otherwise ST or FJR are preferred.

Plenty of countries have Police forces now using smaller bikes, as in F800 and the like.

Bike
    2010 CB 1000 R, 2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250
    Blog Entries
    Hey sorry I missed all the discussion.

I loved the bike, but had issues with any 'lean forward' ride as shoulders are getting arthritic. Up till about the two hour mark it was still the most joyful ride I had owned (after my ST4s) but cramp is what cramp does and the joy would start to fade due the discomfort.

I got 8k as trade in. NO haggling, said 'I want 8 for this' no argument at all. Then again, I was trading on a 16k purchase so, swings and roundabouts I guess.
    I stand by this bike was worth 10k ALL DAY long and even through next week. Had to be ridden to know. My mate with 2 Fireblades loved taking this out. But he too was offloading his sport style bikes or it would have gone to him.

Had 3.5k of suspension upgrades, the huge topbox, flawlessly maintained, new rotors all round, was setup for trouble free riding for at least 30k to come.

SO now I have a Hornet 919 and a T120, ones for cruising with the missus and the other does pretty decent wheelies for a daily rider (was the intention and oh dear does so much more than just commute)

Very educational reading through your comments guys, appreciate everyone's opinions and knowledge.

Perchance...do any of you know what upside down forks might fit my Hornet?
    Just ride.

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneY View Post
    Hey sorry I missed all the discussion.

I loved the bike, but had issues with any 'lean forward' ride as shoulders are getting arthritic. Up till about the two hour mark it was still the most joyful ride I had owned (after my ST4s) but cramp is what cramp does and the joy would start to fade due the discomfort.

I got 8k as trade in. NO haggling, said 'I want 8 for this' no argument at all. Then again, I was trading on a 16k purchase so, swings and roundabouts I guess.
    I stand by this bike was worth 10k ALL DAY long and even through next week. Had to be ridden to know. My mate with 2 Fireblades loved taking this out. But he too was offloading his sport style bikes or it would have gone to him.

Had 3.5k of suspension upgrades, the huge topbox, flawlessly maintained, new rotors all round, was setup for trouble free riding for at least 30k to come.

SO now I have a Hornet 919 and a T120, ones for cruising with the missus and the other does pretty decent wheelies for a daily rider (was the intention and oh dear does so much more than just commute)

Very educational reading through your comments guys, appreciate everyone's opinions and knowledge.

Perchance...do any of you know what upside down forks might fit my Hornet?
    Where ya Bin then?
    Hey mate. Good news, no more sore bits.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Thread Information