Page 5 of 64 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: Projects At Home During Lockdown

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    And heres the wiff's project. Pit stop Easter bunny in racing carrot. She is quite mad. This the season to celebrate the execution of some delusional carpenter.

Check out the mechanic jacket she found in an opshop. Even used my old race number.
    Actually I would like to apologise for a flippant comment before. I have nothing against carpenters. Salt of the earth. Some of my best friends are carpenters. Well they would be if I knew any. So I hope I haven't caused any offence in the name of a joke.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Actually I would like to apologise for a flippant comment before. I have nothing against carpenters. Salt of the earth. Some of my best friends are carpenters. Well they would be if I knew any. So I hope I haven't caused any offence in the name of a joke.
    Not flippant at all ... I personally know a few carpenters that I'd like to see nailed to a 6 x 6 beam.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Blog Entries
    I'm more concerned about lying prophets.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    During the week I'm still busy with work, no idea when it will taper off, or if it will.
    Today was finishing a server build, but got distracted mid way tidying up and doing "around to it" stuff.

Seemed like a short day, dunno if the lockdown will be long enough
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    husaberg
    Jesus Christ................
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    Jesus Christ................
    maybe they'll re write their book this year and he won't come back after three days.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    maybe they'll re write their book this year and he won't come back after three days.
    It might even make it out of the fiction section this time. Regardless someone will still be along any second, to blame the Jews.
    I wonder if there will be any mention of the Chinese is the book or Brian Tamaki
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Just having a break. Foind another roundtoit. In the process of replacing the front lh gate post which a niece ran in to about 4 years ago. No need to pop out to a hardware shop as we have plenty of stuff laying around the yard to sort it out.

So you see a little bit of hoarding has it's uses. Pays to have decent tools as well. Crow bar was essentual for removing the lower part of the broken off post.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200329_121155[1].jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	571.0 KB 
ID:	345046  

Bike
    VFR400, Frankenbucket
    So went to replace novalite outside back door yesterday and discovered to my dismay that I am short one sheet. So I will have half a shelter out the back till this is all over.
    Got heaps of TV under my belt and jumped on the sim last night for some racing with the boys.

Wife FINALLY got on the GN250 this morning and rode it around the front yard, she got a good handle on the clutch straight away so here's hoping she'll go get her license. Need to get her somewhere to ride it properly but not sure how that will fit in with lockdown rules? We have empty car parks nearby, what do you lads think? Most likely will be deemed as not necessary though so a no go

Sent from my SM-A730F using Tapatalk

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Autech View Post
    So went to replace novalite outside back door yesterday and discovered to my dismay that I am short one sheet. So I will have half a shelter out the back till this is all over.
    Got heaps of TV under my belt and jumped on the sim last night for some racing with the boys.

Wife FINALLY got on the GN250 this morning and rode it around the front yard, she got a good handle on the clutch straight away so here's hoping she'll go get her license. Need to get her somewhere to ride it properly but not sure how that will fit in with lockdown rules? We have empty car parks nearby, what do you lads think? Most likely will be deemed as not necessary though so a no go

Sent from my SM-A730F using Tapatalk
    Answered your own question I'm afraid. We got leant if thats a word, I'll use loaned, a geared tricycle that my daughter loves, but it's a handful in our hilly suburb trying to assist her uphill or worse control her downhill. Brakes seized to my dismay easy to run yourself over with rear wheels.

Would be great at the school playground or riverbank, but. . . .

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Another quick job. This time repairing an ancient Black and Decker angle grinder. It was given to me not working over 20 years ago. I just pulled it apart and built up the trigger contact and ran good as gold until a few weeks ago. It was running intermitantly. Turned out one of the leads in the plug flexible portion was loosing contact. Found a bit of suitable sized plastic then tube cut it length wise. Applied a generous portion of black silicone sealant over the front portion of the flexi bit then placed the plastic tubing over the grinder plug fexi portion close to the connector. Cleaned all the excess silicone sealant off and let set. Grinders running perfect now. While it was in bits I gave the insides a good up.

Nice think is just about every thing is rebiuldable/fixable. Armature and carbon brushes are fine. Not like the crappy DeWalts I used at a previuos job. Fucken useless with brushes having to be replaced every couple of hundred hrs if that. The Ryobis were far superior and lighter/more balanced.

Name:	20200329_160236[1].jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	800.0 KB 
ID:	345048  

Bike
    motocompo
    Got the carbs back on the 750 today. Flushed the tank & ran it up, it wasn't sparking on the left outer plug, I rustled around & found a plug the same in an old toolbox I hadn't looked in for 20 years, I probably took them out of my Katana in the '90's.
    Ran it up until warm & hooked up the carb balancers & had a tinker with the slide heights & air screws.
    It sounds very sweet, seeing as I also adjusted the cam chain after the starter went back in yesterday.
    Put the master cylinder back on & bled up the system. I really do enjoy doing brakes.
    It's so cool watching everyone get a kick out of the simple things again, like fixing an old grinder that would have probably ended up in the bin, followed by a trip to the warehouse for a Chinese one.
    Fixing stuff, growing stuff, going places on foot, some really good things are going to come of this, it's like a re training of the olden days.
    My street has been full of happy walking & cycling people all day, it's been quite sociable working in the front yard, chatting with the occasional passer by, which wouldn't have happened a few weeks ago. Its like 1975 all over again & I like it.
    I bet most of you are much more aware of what's in your house & garage now, it's all valuable resources, from an old box of screws or nails, to a piece of electrical cable or an old spark plug or length of tubing.
    I'm really starting to understand how my dad was thinking when I was a kid, & have him to thank for having the skill set of making stuff work without the need for a parts store on my front doorstep. He was a hugely resourceful commercial vehicle mechanic during times of shortage.
    He would build up worn parts with weld & re shaped them, re bush worn holes, grind & re lap leaking valves, solder float levels that had worn through, cut air diaphragms from tyre tube, make his own brake pipes from a roll of tubing, cut or tap out new gaskets, sometimes from cereal box if he couldn't get gasket paper.
    As his apprentice, I had to weld up mufflers that probably should have gone in the bin, rebuild CV joints in a way that by swapping them from left to right, they had a whole life ahead of them, & mainly, figure out what was wrong with stuff & work out how to make it serviceable again.
    Unfortunately this later became a hinderance when labour charges exceeded the cost of a cheaply made, easy to obtain, knock off part.
    Still handy skills to have tucked away though.

Name:	20200329_164044.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	809.5 KB 
ID:	345049  

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    Got the carbs back on the 750 today. Flushed the tank & ran it up, it wasn't sparking on the left outer plug, I rustled around & found a plug the same in an old toolbox I hadn't looked in for 20 years, I probably took them out of my Katana in the '90's..
    NGK D8EA? Looking good.

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonez View Post
    NGK D8EA? Looking good.
    Yep, to motorbikes what a N9Y was to cars.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    Got the carbs back on the 750 today. Flushed the tank & ran it up, it wasn't sparking on the left outer plug, I rustled around & found a plug the same in an old toolbox I hadn't looked in for 20 years, I probably took them out of my Katana in the '90's.
    Ran it up until warm & hooked up the carb balancers & had a tinker with the slide heights & air screws.
    It sounds very sweet, seeing as I also adjusted the cam chain after the starter went back in yesterday.
    Put the master cylinder back on & bled up the system. I really do enjoy doing brakes.
    It's so cool watching everyone get a kick out of the simple things again, like fixing an old grinder that would have probably ended up in the bin, followed by a trip to the warehouse for a Chinese one.
    Fixing stuff, growing stuff, going places on foot, some really good things are going to come of this, it's like a re training of the olden days.
    My street has been full of happy walking & cycling people all day, it's been quite sociable working in the front yard, chatting with the occasional passer by, which wouldn't have happened a few weeks ago. Its like 1975 all over again & I like it.
    I bet most of you are much more aware of what's in your house & garage now, it's all valuable resources, from an old box of screws or nails, to a piece of electrical cable or an old spark plug or length of tubing.
    I'm really starting to understand how my dad was thinking when I was a kid, & have him to thank for having the skill set of making stuff work without the need for a parts store on my front doorstep. He was a hugely resourceful commercial vehicle mechanic during times of shortage.
    He would build up worn parts with weld & re shaped them, re bush worn holes, grind & re lap leaking valves, solder float levels that had worn through, make his own brake pipes from a roll of tubing, cut or tap out new gaskets, sometimes from cereal box if he couldn't get gasket paper.
    As his apprentice, I had to weld up mufflers that probably should have gone in the bin, rebuild CV joints in a way that by swapping them from left to right, they had a whole life ahead of them, & mainly, figure out what was wrong with stuff & work out how to make it serviceable again.
    Unfortunately this later became a hindrance when labour charges exceeded the cost of a cheaply made, easy to obtain, knock off part.
    Still handy skills to have tucked away though.
    I was thinking the same thing as i recycling a whole heap of H3 treated timber i have had stacked up from an old deck and going through all my bins and containers to find nails and fasteners and all the other stuff my misses "suggests" that I throw out.
    I have finally got around to re-framing the entire steel framed 8x8 pump shed i have, as the steel worm has eaten the 1" box fame.
    I still have to work, but the workload has sure dropped off in the last few days.
    I reminder distinctly .

Thread Information