Page 16 of 53 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
Results 226 to 240 of 792

Thread: Projects At Home During Lockdown

  1. #226
    Join Date
    24th September 2004 - 06:46
    Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Location
    On the road to nowhere...
    Posts
    6,783
    Nice 20 minute walk to and from the local CALTEX to get essentials. Chocolates for her in doors. Fuses for the XF. And petrol for the lawn mower. Very pleasent out and lots of smiley faces,..
    "Every time you set your ass on a bike, you're playing a game of Russian Roulette between yourself and your own stupidity."

  2. #227
    Join Date
    5th January 2007 - 14:58
    Bike
    motocompo
    Location
    Buttfuck nowhere
    Posts
    5,127
    Productive day again today.
    Built up two of these workshop trolley seats we got on sale at Supercheap a few months ago, as chairside tables for the lounge.
    Luckily my wife is more of a petrol head than me & was all about it.
    Pulled the back wheel & rear guards off the Katana today to give everything a proper clean up.
    Can't remember how this got inside the rear guard, looks like rubber & tyre cords.
    I also needed four o rings for the needle valves, I found some unreinforced fuel line the correct thickness & pulled it over a piece of metal rod, & put it in the lathe, I then mounted a small sharp kitchen knife in the toolpost & had a few goes at different thickness cuts to see what worked.
    Four cuts 50 thou apart & there were my new o rings.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200406_142439.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	721.2 KB 
ID:	345220   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200406_133024.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	653.5 KB 
ID:	345219   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200406_162234.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	542.9 KB 
ID:	345221  

  3. #228
    Join Date
    31st August 2015 - 22:37
    Bike
    welbike
    Location
    wanganui
    Posts
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    Productive day again today.
    Built up two of these workshop trolley seats we got on sale at Supercheap a few months ago, as chairside tables for the lounge.
    Luckily my wife is more of a petrol head than me & was all about it.
    Pulled the back wheel & rear guards off the Katana today to give everything a proper clean up.
    Can't remember how this got inside the rear guard, looks like rubber & tyre cords.
    I also needed four o rings for the needle valves, I found some unreinforced fuel line the correct thickness & pulled it over a piece of metal rod, & put it in the lathe, I then mounted a small sharp kitchen knife in the toolpost & had a few goes at different thickness cuts to see what worked.
    Four cuts 50 thou apart & there were my new o rings.
    that's a very nice Myford. Looks like a late model one that has not done a lot of work

  4. #229
    Join Date
    9th January 2005 - 22:12
    Bike
    Street Triple R
    Location
    christchurch
    Posts
    7,750
    I'm sure powdercoat is fine and all but where it gets chipped and gets water under in the chip it goes a bit scabby.

    I waterblasted all the scabs off and gave it a quick sand so I could chuck some "Zinc It" on there. Basically I will spray it with the spray cans I have at home which means it won't get any worse. Eventually I guess I will have to get them dip stripped and probably HDG or zinc sprayed or something. I also have to do the trailer chassis as well. Maybe now's the time?

    I can't believe how busy my days are (working from home is actually fucking working, it turns out).

    near as I can tell this is 1mm mild steel. I dont think its been zinc sprayed or anything.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200406_183636.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	773.6 KB 
ID:	345229   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200406_183646.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	778.1 KB 
ID:	345230   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200406_183652.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	671.3 KB 
ID:	345231  
    In the white room, with black curtains, at the station

  5. #230
    Join Date
    9th January 2005 - 22:12
    Bike
    Street Triple R
    Location
    christchurch
    Posts
    7,750
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    Can't remember how this got inside the rear guard, looks like rubber & tyre cords.
    Epic burnout! Right hand pinned the throttle with the brake on, left hand throwing the goat, mad grin!
    In the white room, with black curtains, at the station

  6. #231
    Join Date
    5th January 2007 - 14:58
    Bike
    motocompo
    Location
    Buttfuck nowhere
    Posts
    5,127
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Staples View Post
    that's a very nice Myford. Looks like a late model one that has not done a lot of work
    It was bought brand new by an amateur enthusiast in the early '80's to replace his worn out ex polytechnic one.
    I have probably doubled the hours on it making the brake piston last week.

  7. #232
    Join Date
    5th January 2007 - 14:58
    Bike
    motocompo
    Location
    Buttfuck nowhere
    Posts
    5,127
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    Epic burnout! Right hand pinned the throttle with the brake on, left hand throwing the goat, mad grin!
    I doubt this was the burnout that did it.
    This was taken by my brother one Sunday afternoon near the end of '84 in Tauranga.
    He framed it & gave it to me for my following birthday.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200406_195133.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	402.6 KB 
ID:	345232  

  8. #233
    Join Date
    25th March 2004 - 17:22
    Bike
    RZ496/Street Triple R/GasGas/ etc etc
    Location
    Wellington. . ok the hutt
    Posts
    17,672
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    I'm sure powdercoat is fine and all but where it gets chipped and gets water under in the chip it goes a bit scabby.

    I waterblasted all the scabs off and gave it a quick sand so I could chuck some "Zinc It" on there. Basically I will spray it with the spray cans I have at home which means it won't get any worse. Eventually I guess I will have to get them dip stripped and probably HDG or zinc sprayed or something. I also have to do the trailer chassis as well. Maybe now's the time?

    I can't believe how busy my days are (working from home is actually fucking working, it turns out).

    near as I can tell this is 1mm mild steel. I dont think its been zinc sprayed or anything.
    They had that issue with gas bottles so they are sprayed rather than powdercoated now, as before. The powder is not really the problem in itself. A lot of issues as ever are down to preparation to make a good key. Also the conversion process. On ally the yesteryear chromate conversion has been abandoned for RoHS friendly versions which require rigorous cleaning processes to be almost but not really as good as before.
    I'm not as familiar with steel but is phosphate coated and probably affected the same way. A media blast will help adhesion I would venture.

    I've been tiling only in the weekends, just no spare time. The dirtbike got some attention but I need an engine bolt to put it back together. Normally I'd see my local wrecker for a beer and a rummage (oh vicar). Have to wait. I have 3 candidates in my spares which are of course a cm or so too short.
    I've been told. Dreaming`s free.
    Think I'll go, back to sleep.
    Everybody listen, voices in my head
    Everybody listen, do yours say, what mine says?

  9. #234
    Join Date
    28th May 2006 - 19:35
    Bike
    suzuki
    Location
    lower hutt
    Posts
    7,205
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    It was bought brand new by an amateur enthusiast in the early '80's to replace his worn out ex polytechnic one.
    I have probably doubled the hours on it making the brake piston last week.
    there was a new myford for sale in kapiti not long ago, still boxed up

  10. #235
    Join Date
    31st August 2015 - 22:37
    Bike
    welbike
    Location
    wanganui
    Posts
    69

    myford

    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    there was a new myford for sale in kapiti not long ago, still boxed up
    yes I saw that as I follow machine tools and parts and From memory it went for good coin but I was staggered a while ago one as good as Bobs with a heap of myford accessories went for 8k . they are a nice little lathe no doubt but I did think that was a bit over the top,

  11. #236
    Join Date
    13th June 2010 - 17:47
    Bike
    Exercycle
    Location
    Out in the cold
    Posts
    5,065
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    They had that issue with gas bottles so they are sprayed rather than powdercoated now, as before. The powder is not really the problem in itself. A lot of issues as ever are down to preparation to make a good key. Also the conversion process. On ally the yesteryear chromate conversion has been abandoned for RoHS friendly versions which require rigorous cleaning processes to be almost but not really as good as before.
    I'm not as familiar with steel but is phosphate coated and probably affected the same way. A media blast will help adhesion I would venture.

    I've been tiling only in the weekends, just no spare time. The dirtbike got some attention but I need an engine bolt to put it back together. Normally I'd see my local wrecker for a beer and a rummage (oh vicar). Have to wait. I have 3 candidates in my spares which are of course a cm or so too short.
    My brother had a powdercoating firm in ChCh some years back. He managed to get ISO accreditted to the standard required for Defence Force work. His comments at the time were to the effect that the coating was the least poart of it. About 90% preparation. Now that Trichlorethylene baths have gone it's somewhat harder.
    I won't use powder on my frames. Saw too much corrosion under powder on speedway chassis. Still at least one mob in ChCh doing baked enamel at reasonable price.

    HDC - Euroblast in Hornby do gritblasting at a reasonable price. I see they're now offering galvanising too. I've used them for years for frames. Blast and two pack prime. Good guys.

    Side note, the premises my bro owned for the powdercoating business are now occupied my Mike Stein. Small world.

  12. #237
    Join Date
    28th May 2006 - 19:35
    Bike
    suzuki
    Location
    lower hutt
    Posts
    7,205
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    Small world.
    until your hat blows off on a windy day.

  13. #238
    Join Date
    28th May 2006 - 19:35
    Bike
    suzuki
    Location
    lower hutt
    Posts
    7,205
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Staples View Post
    The pedal car has gone as far as I can so I thought I would get back on the road bike project alloy tank. I had a few ripples on one side of the top the other week that showed up in certain light and I thought should I have a go at getting it better or risk cocking it up altogether. and much to my surprise I did get them out . Tonight I did some on the other side and also made an improvement. I think now I will leave well alone and not push my luck. Now for the tricky bit of making a bottom for it . Ian
    are you going to bolt it down or put a bobbin on it or similar and rubber band it on?

  14. #239
    Join Date
    9th January 2005 - 22:12
    Bike
    Street Triple R
    Location
    christchurch
    Posts
    7,750
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    My brother had a powdercoating firm in ChCh some years back. He managed to get ISO accreditted to the standard required for Defence Force work. His comments at the time were to the effect that the coating was the least poart of it. About 90% preparation. Now that Trichlorethylene baths have gone it's somewhat harder.
    I won't use powder on my frames. Saw too much corrosion under powder on speedway chassis. Still at least one mob in ChCh doing baked enamel at reasonable price.

    HDC - Euroblast in Hornby do gritblasting at a reasonable price. I see they're now offering galvanising too. I've used them for years for frames. Blast and two pack prime. Good guys.

    Side note, the premises my bro owned for the powdercoating business are now occupied my Mike Stein. Small world.
    Thanks for that - I'm never going to be happy with the result from DIY (particularly given my limited resources including time) so blowing some zinc primer over it temporarily and getting it done properly sounds like the plan. Thanks again for the referral.
    In the white room, with black curtains, at the station

  15. #240
    Join Date
    31st August 2015 - 22:37
    Bike
    welbike
    Location
    wanganui
    Posts
    69

    tank mounts

    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    are you going to bolt it down or put a bobbin on it or similar and rubber band it on?
    trying to figure that out now. It will sit on those ribbed rubber frame sleeve thingys as per period with two bolts through the back bottom ,using oem rubber mounts but the front is a bit more tricky . I am thinking about a rubber band but I am worried it may move around.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •