Page 20 of 64 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Projects At Home During Lockdown

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    The oil pressure sender at the back of the barrel on the big roller bearing Suzukis is actually a one way valve in the line to the head.
    The plunger of the switch when pressure shuts down, comes down and shuts off the line above it.
    Most aftermarket oil cooler takeoffs from this point keep the one way valve.

The Bucket and shim motors have quite big oil pockets around the buckets. Even engines stored for years will still have oill in those

Was i you, when reactivating one stored for a while, I'd simply pull the plugs and spin it over for a minute or so. If any of them don't have oil warning lights it's dead easy to put one on.
    With functioning warning light, they seem to prime in about 5 seconds.
    i'm paranoid hence my method, when i took the plastic to eastern creek i took it up the hill without plugs and rode it in gear for three km's and got no clean oil out of the bung i mentioned, that was the day she was due at the wharf., my mate said why don't we put it in gear and turn the backwheel over, in my head i laughed, but as he'd come and helped didn't want to say no, if three kms didn't do it how are we ever going to get some oil through (it was hosing down and a re run wasn't straight forward) bugger me about three turns of the rear wheel and nice clean oil greeted us..... phew honestly if i didn't see oil there and then i would have pushed i back in the shed as there was no time left

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    You have got more paranoid. When you first got it and I brought around some AV we just rolled you down the hill to fire it up.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    It was on the good
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    those second ones are IUD's aren't they?
    So that avatar is you then?

Are you on tinder?

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    i'm paranoid hence my method, when i took the plastic to eastern creek i took it up the hill without plugs and rode it in gear for three km's and got no clean oil out of the bung i mentioned, that was the day she was due at the wharf., my mate said why don't we put it in gear and turn the backwheel over, in my head i laughed, but as he'd come and helped didn't want to say no, if three kms didn't do it how are we ever going to get some oil through (it was hosing down and a re run wasn't straight forward) bugger me about three turns of the rear wheel and nice clean oil greeted us..... phew honestly if i didn't see oil there and then i would have pushed i back in the shed as there was no time left
    You and Kirby are both paranoid. When we first built the Budget GSXR1100, Kirby lived on the flat and I lived near the bottom of Huntsbury. Kerb insisted on taking it to the top of Huntsbury and running it down to my place to circulate the oil. The light went off in about 20 meters.....
    Made a nice noise when we fired it at my place - echoed around the port hills nicely, lol.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    You have got more paranoid. When you first got it and I brought around some AV we just rolled you down the hill to fire it up.
    yeah but then i'd had the rocker cover off and there was plenty of oil up there, thanks for your help then mate

Bike
    gsxr1000

KR1 revival

Hi All
    I bought this 15 yr ago and put a Stan Stephens 300cc topend on it but never got it going right due to the wrong needles in the carbs (Gaudenz solved that mystery). Got the frame back from the powdercoaters before the start of lockdown and have abeen adding day by day. Motor had a fresh crank in it prior to the 300cc going on and hasnt done any work yet. Standard 250cc top end back on in the interests of originality but did flow the bottom end before assembly which makes a massive difference with the KR1/KR1S.

Nature taking over

Helps to have a media blaster in the shed

Bike
    motocompo
    My Stan Stephen's story.
    A couple of years ago I got picked up from Gatwick by the team P.R bloke Harley Stephens, we went a short distance in his van & stopped for lunch at a pub, we got yarning about all things motorbike as expected & he mentioned that his dad was an engine tuner.
    Yep, turned out it was Stan's son.
    It was a very interesting afternoon.

What media did you treat the alloy cases with to get that kind of finish?

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Hey. Very cool. Never ridden one of those.

Used the brakes on projects. Need very thorough clean up to work ok.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    welbike
    steering wheel done. progress interrupted by a power cut and corresponding nap on the couch
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_0025.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	392.3 KB 
ID:	345298  

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Couple of wee jobs done:

Run a hose from the outlet on the house via grates and bottem fence runners to a stainless steel sink I have mounted beside the garage door.

Repared a pair of multimeter leads that have screw on alligator clips.

Did the with the B&S powered lawn mower for thev first time in years. Started first pop. Thanks again for those who gave advice on getting it running again.

Found a decent clear plastic container to put all my soldering gear and freshened up the solderig iron with a nylon scouring pad. Now it is all in one place.

Fixed a hinge on the rear house access gate for getting under the flooring.

Connie and I had accumulated a ton of fasteners-nails, screws, brackets etc over the years, being stored in our seperateplay areas in the house and shed. Got everything together so it is all consolidated in small plastic bins on the wall in the shed. Now there is just place to get the fasteners from instead of it scattered all over the place.

Cleaned up my old computer area beside the kitchen so now I have a place to test old kit.

To be continued.......

Bike
    VFR800
    Quote Originally Posted by geezagillard View Post
    Hi All
    I bought this 15 yr ago and put a Stan Stephens 300cc topend on it but never got it going right due to the wrong needles in the carbs (Gaudenz solved that mystery). Got the frame back from the powdercoaters before the start of lockdown and have abeen adding day by day. Motor had a fresh crank in it prior to the 300cc going on and hasnt done any work yet. Standard 250cc top end back on in the interests of originality but did flow the bottom end before assembly which makes a massive difference with the KR1/KR1S.

Very nice job.

Machinery House lift table?

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    My Stan Stephen's story.
    A couple of years ago I got picked up from Gatwick by the team P.R bloke Harley Stephens, we went a short distance in his van & stopped for lunch at a pub, we got yarning about all things motorbike as expected & he mentioned that his dad was an engine tuner.
    Yep, turned out it was Stan's son.
    It was a very interesting afternoon.

What media did you treat the alloy cases with to get that kind of finish?
    +1 - those cases look real good, please let us know how (if it was in the dishwasher, that wont fly here)
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    motocompo
    I've got the Katana as good as it's going to get before the shops open again, so I went downstairs to work on the RS125 today as planned.
    I moved the MV to get the RS out, I guess I don't have to explain attention deficit to a few people on here
    I thought, I'll change the gas & charge the battery & fire it up, anyway, 6 hours later. . . .
    Plenty of alloy to polish
    Its constructed like a heavy duty bicycle by someone that saw an old bicycle in the dark once.
    They kind of messed up with the engine too, it had the potential, to be a thing of beauty. . . .its not.
    That doesn't stop it being a lovely wee bike on the whole.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200409_125431.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	712.8 KB 
ID:	345299  

Bike
    welbike

fuel tap

Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    Have you got room for a well for the tap ? Can you reach it ?
    I can recomend the plastic inline taps available from garden power tool shops. Amazingly durable.
    as per most specials or custom built bikes. things can get a bit squeezed for room ( I hate the word custom because it brings up images choppers with hardly dangerous motors and spider web frame gussets and wanky skulls all over it ) I cannot really fit a fuel tap in the usual place so I am looking at putting it right on the center line of the tank . I need a fuel tap with an 8mm hose barb pointing downward and all of the ones on TM look Chinese and nasty and I am a bit reluctant to set fire to my new bike due to a leaky fuel tap.

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Staples View Post
    as per most specials or custom built bikes. things can get a bit squeezed for room ( I hate the word custom because it brings up images choppers with hardly dangerous motors and spider web frame gussets and wanky skulls all over it ) I cannot really fit a fuel tap in the usual place so I am looking at putting it right on the center line of the tank . I need a fuel tap with an 8mm hose barb pointing downward and all of the ones on TM look Chinese and nasty and I am a bit reluctant to set fire to my new bike due to a leaky fuel tap.
    Do you want a GSX Suzuki vacuum tap. I've probably got a few & they're quite compact. That way you will only need to reach it occasionally.
    Have to say, as custom bikes go, the Warlord is a pretty cool chopper & one I would be very happy to see in my basement.

Thread Information