Page 64 of 64 FirstFirst ... 1454626364

Thread: Projects At Home During Lockdown

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by mashman View Post
    ... One thing that never struck me about TDL was a lack of enjoyment in life. You say that to a lot of people you disagree with, that's highly illogical Dave. But then again, we see the world as we are......... some of us even post pissed to underline the point.
    Do you really think you can alienate more voters in the Wellington region Gordon?
    You got a third less than a third of a percent last time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    I've just come back from a few hundred km ride around some fantastic rural areas. I could give a fuck what that loser says.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    We had to pull the old cottage chimney down last year but kept the bricks, just in case....

When we moved in, the bank in front of the house was a solid carpet of ivy, channeling Day of the Triffids. We cleared it, discovering the coal bunker lurking underneath and made a terraced tyre garden.
    Roll on the school holidays, just past, and the Chancellor enforced a commitment I had made, under the influence, to build brick terraces.

Here is the end result of my first foray into brick laying and my ongoing commitment to relationship acquiescence.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kitchen Garden.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	181.7 KB 
ID:	351823
    Manopausal.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Very good. I hope she moved her share of bricks..
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Very good. I hope she moved her share of bricks..
    In between lashes, yes.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    DIY Project #932

Have pulled the old GIB off the Bedroom, thank fuck I did - I found some black mold on the inside and some dampness.

Pulled the Insulation out, found some moisture on the Studs - start having mini-freakout, however looking on the outside of the house, where the plaster exterior is, there's a couple of small cracks around the area, so I've got some Siliconing to do (and a Ladder to climb...)

I'm in the process of tidying up the walls inside, cleaning off the old Glue, removing nails and other issues, ready to get some GIB and replace it and make it look nice again.

I do have one question though - I've got a Cathedral style roof, and looking through the wall, there's a couple areas where I can see that the space under the Eaves/Where the plaster meets the brick that aren't 100% sealed.

At the base of the house, I've got vents for air flow/Moisture egress - but I'm not sure if these gaps are by design for the same reason or whether I should seal them up.

Pics can be provided if needed.
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemonLord View Post
    DIY Project #932

Have pulled the old GIB off the Bedroom, thank fuck I did - I found some black mold on the inside and some dampness.

Pulled the Insulation out, found some moisture on the Studs - start having mini-freakout, however looking on the outside of the house, where the plaster exterior is, there's a couple of small cracks around the area, so I've got some Siliconing to do (and a Ladder to climb...)

I'm in the process of tidying up the walls inside, cleaning off the old Glue, removing nails and other issues, ready to get some GIB and replace it and make it look nice again.

I do have one question though - I've got a Cathedral style roof, and looking through the wall, there's a couple areas where I can see that the space under the Eaves/Where the plaster meets the brick that aren't 100% sealed.

At the base of the house, I've got vents for air flow/Moisture egress - but I'm not sure if these gaps are by design for the same reason or whether I should seal them up.

How old is the house? Lots of shortcuts were taken in the 70's and later, right up to the leaky home saga. What the building inspector doesn't see never happened.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    If it’s brick veneer, then ventilation between the bricks and the frame is normal to allow any dampness which gets in through the bricks (which are porous) to dry out…or at least that’s what my Dad (the ex-builder) told me. He got out of the building game in the late 60s though.

So if you seal it up completely, you may make things worse.

Or it could be something else altogether.
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    How old is the house? Lots of shortcuts were taken in the 70's and later, right up to the leaky home saga. What the building inspector doesn't see never happened.
    Yeah, its an 80s house.

Brick for the ground level, then plaster veneer for the top level.

I'm still researching the eaves as to whether they should be sealed or unsealed.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemonLord View Post
    DIY Project #932

can water drive in those gaps? I wouldn't seal them, buildings need to breath just think of all that air in the ceiling that heats and cools on a daily basis, ie expands and contracts

Bike
    Street Triple R
    A man who isnt Allen Millyard is bored, builds own V4 engine while wearing jandals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0X2vXL0gCw
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    can water drive in those gaps? I wouldn't seal them, buildings need to breath just think of all that air in the ceiling that heats and cools on a daily basis, ie expands and contracts
    Possibly, the exterior wall is facing where we get some pretty strong prevaling winds, so maybe?

I haven't sealed them yet - and at time of writing, probably not going to - I've been keeping a close eye on them whilst we've had the crappy weather of late - and I've not seen any moisture ingress to the studs - so I think I'll leave it as is and just replace the insulation.

Thread Information