Page 53 of 64 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast

Thread: Projects At Home During Lockdown

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    Not really a project at home, but im re wiring this thing.
    The loom looked like it had been made as a special school class project & it all came to a head when the owner put the battery on charge & the braided brake hoses glowed red & it spat the fluid out.
    Not sure I see an issue with using the conductive steel braid as a, well, conductor as part of the electrical system. Nice clean tidy look with no other wires down to the, er, brake calipers.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by ellipsis View Post
    ...thread is now redundant...lockedup is over...now it's just fuckin' round when you should be out at Mitre10...buyin' things...

Speaking of Mitre 10. I repaired Connies 100mm Number 8 angle grinder. You see the bearing got a bit woobly after about 6.5hrs of constant use cutting a water channel in the concrete in front of my car port. Removed the grinding wheel, spacers and guard. Undid the head housing access cover, popped out the shaft then removed the bearing. Took a wee toodle down to the local SKF outfit on the Suzi sexfiddy and got a replacement bearing. $10 thank you very much sir! Went home, removed all the old grease that was in the head(which probably had a large amount of cement dust in it) and regreased it with heavy duty grease. The gearing was all fine. Fitted the new bearing, refitted the housing cover etc. Now good as gold.

In the mean time I was unaware Connie had gotten an Ozoto 100mm angle grinder from Bunnings for around $40 with 3 year guaranty. She was happy that I had gotten the Number 8 back up and going as prefers that because it is quite light because of her artheritus. She gave me the Ozoto so win win all around.

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    Not sure I see an issue with using the conductive steel braid as a, well, conductor as part of the electrical system. Nice clean tidy look with no other wires down to the, er, brake calipers.
    They wernt deliberately used as a conductor.
    Seems somehow it got a positive current from some dodgy connector that found a brake hose, which are apparently quite well earthed.

Bike
    Exercycle
    The loom looked like it had been made as a special school, class project & it all came to a head when the owner put the battery on charge & the braided brake hoses glowed red & it spat the fluid out.
    I remember some years back, pointing out to a Ducati owner that his magnesium bodied Dellortos were just starting to smoke...

Tricky stuff that electricity - gets everywhere.

Bike
    As many as I can get away with
    The loom looked like it had been made as a special school, class project & it all came to a head when the owner put the battery on charge & the braided brake hoses glowed red & it spat the fluid out.
    Holy shit, have you fallen on your head?

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by swarfie View Post
    Holy shit, have you fallen on your head?
    It's one if my former garage clients, lovely chap.
    Its amazing the pleasure I get from tinkering with electrics I never got when I was running the garage.
    Probably something to do with the fact that I can now go 5 hours without an interruption, instead of 5 minutes.
    I fired it up this afternoon after doing an oil change & a few other bits.
    I'm not one to be intimidated by a bike, but yeah. . . this one is something else.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    It's one if my former garage clients, lovely chap.
    Its amazing the pleasure I get from tinkering with electrics I never got when I was running the garage.
    Probably something to do with the fact that I can now go 5 hours without an interruption, instead of 5 minutes.
    I fired it up this afternoon after doing an oil change & a few other bits.
    I'm not one to be intimidated by a bike, but yeah. . . this one is something else.
    That's a bit funny. A stock 350 puts out 190 horses...so does a Gixxer thou.

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    That's a bit funny. A stock 350 puts out 190 horses...so does a Gixxer thou.
    It's the longditudal rotating mass that's unnerving.
    It's the only bike where I've felt like It could be crashed while standing still, just by giving it a big one on the throttle.

Bike
    22"Z900rsSE, Z1R, FZR1000, KTM 2 smoker
    It's the only bike where I've felt like It could be crashed while standing still, just by giving it a big one on the throttle.
    Good to see a man with a Genuine passion for anything with an engine
    On a Motorcycle you're penetrating distance, right along with the machine!! In a car you're just a spectator, the windshields like a TV!!

'Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out! Shouting, ' Holy sh!t... What a Ride!! '

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by Reckless View Post
    Good to see a man with a Genuine passion for anything with an engine
    Oh . . . You saw the CT90 pic last week?
    I showed the CT to the 50 something year old guy in the next building, & he told me a story about a CT110 his girlfriend's dad had on their farm when he was a kid.
    Turns out he married her & the CT had been in the father in laws barn for over 25 years.
    I got that going for him last week in between working on the monster bike.
    Honda CT's are like Mini's, everyone has a story about one.

Bike
    suzuki
    you think that is bad, look at this behemoth.... I brought this back from somewhere for an old fella and had it strung up in the shed as the sidestand was busted, rode it back to his workshop, scariest thing i've ever ridden
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lq0N6qYX9Sc

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Have half-finished sugarsoaping the walls, need to pull out the ladder and do the up-top bits, Then waiting for Brother-in-law to come visit who is lending me his Orbital GIB Sander so I can putty up the areas where I noobed up the walls then sand them down so we'll get a nice paint finish.
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    2003 BMW K 1200
    Is it worth it to install V-Twin performance parts?

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by autonoob View Post
    Is it worth it to install V-Twin performance parts?
    In your Guzzi, or your Vincent? It won't be for your Indian obviously. Maybe the CX500?
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Finished patching up the walls, now running the Orbital Sander over them
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Thread Information