Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Riding during the coming lockdown

Bike
    It was on the good
    Well, I have to go to the Catlins next week for work. Advice is to use your own vehicle not a work truck. Woot woot.

I expect to get pulled over at some point so hopefully it is for a lockdown check and not a *555 jobbie.

The Catlins with no traffic will be ace. Not sure where I am going to get my pie fix from though. Does anyone know if the Balclutha Night and Day is open?

Bike
    MG V11 Nero Corsa LeMans
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    WellThe Catlins with no traffic will be ace. Not sure where I am going to get my pie fix from though. Does anyone know if the Balclutha Night and Day is open?
    The scumdog will be open...
    cheers DD
    (Definately Dodgy)

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerous View Post
    The scumdog will be open...
    An I bet She makes pies, (ducking to avoid Incoming, about now)
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    It was on the good
    Thought we were meant to steer clear of rest homes at the moment?

Bike
    MG V11 Nero Corsa LeMans
    Thought we were meant to steer clear of rest homes at the moment?
    Ohhh lol, low blow... But bloody good
    cheers DD
    (Definately Dodgy)

Bike
    It was on the good
    So I had a great ride yesterday. Heading down to Balclutha there seemed to be more trucks on the road than usual. Whether this was an illusion due to the obviously lower number of cars on the road I don’t know, but there certainly seemed to be a lot of logging trucks about. You’ll be glad to hear the Night and Day was open, they were a bit stingy with the salt on my hot dog but it was a cold morning so was welcome. Luckily I put the liner in my jacket and had my winter gloves on as it must have been low single figures on the way down.

Turned off for the Catlins and the traffic disappeared. I don’t believe there was even a dozen vehicles an hour on that road. The down side of that is all the shit from cows and sheep crossing the road just sits there for days and weeks, there are sections with big clumps of mud from tractors and diggers crossing the road, recent reseal sites still have a lot of loose gravel lying around and the moss is shining through between wheel tracks in the shaded areas. On the plus side, Waaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Fucking awesome road with no dithering tourists. The occasional oldies are out doing 70 in the Micra but that’s ok and offset by the lack traffic on a great road. First time my GSXR has been on that road. Best ride for years.

Back on SH1 to head back north a few hours later and traffic seemed to be at pre lockdown levels. It had warmed up by now but I was still riding as if there would be a heavy Police presence but saw nothing so a slowish limp home. Saw flashing lights in Milton so figured someone had been pulled over but it was a full on roadblock. I was legit so got through but quite a few people didn’t. The rest of the journey was your typical SH1 yawn. Did see a couple of bikes pulling over in Waihola but otherwise nobody out.

Oh yeah. Had a shower this morning and my neck is really sore which I assume is due to a month of not riding. Before you go on your first ride I would suggest wearing your helmet around the house for a day or two to get used to it.

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    Expanded my bubble today to include my elderly Dad out in West Auckland for a walk around his local park with the dog, half hour there and back in what felt like pretty normal traffic. Was great to have a change of scene and give the bike a slight run, it burbled along happily as it usually does, fuel gauge is still on full after 5 weeks .

Combined it with the now weekly visit to the supermarket, thought I'd been lucky for once as there was no queue, once I got inside it became obvious they were letting a lot more people in at the same time. It all felt pretty much back to normal, except for too many people awkwardly trying to social distance and failing most of the time.
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nerrrd View Post
    ... fuel gauge is still on full after 5 weeks .
    1 trip from East Auckland to Ponsonby, 1 to Gillies/Newmarket and 1 to Constellation Drive and the Tuono was on reserve before I got home after the 3rd.
    No more than 165km
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    Did about 150 kms yesterday, great to get out and about.Not into water,beach or surfing so headed the opposite direction.
    Felt it in the aching old joints today after a month off the bike.

Maybe next time take a drink (in the boot) I need to throw down pills at halfway distance !!
    Nice chillin in the countryside with a cigar though.

But hey,the roads I went on were pretty empty and no bloody waiting for roads works etc.

You'd never go hungry with Nigella Gaz.
    If it weren't for flashbacks...I'd have no memory at all..

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1

Back on SH1 to head back north a few hours later and traffic seemed to be at pre lockdown levels. It had warmed up by now but I was still riding as if there would be a heavy Police presence but saw nothing so a slowish limp home. Saw flashing lights in Milton so figured someone had been pulled over but it was a full on roadblock. I was legit so got through but quite a few people didn’t. The rest of the journey was your typical SH1 yawn. Did see a couple of bikes pulling over in Waihola but otherwise nobody out.
    I still have not been stopped during the 2 weeks I've been in the south, except for a speeding ticket.

There is much more traffic now we're at Level 3.

Bike
    Tuono 660, Suzuki SV650 racebike

riding at alert level 3

I'm struggling to find any specfic info on the govt website regarding road riding during level three lock down. Is there a thread/posts about this I've missed?
    Cant afford to risk it as I've already got a written warning for my level 4 activities.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    No riding for non-essential purposes, or recreational riding. RideForever put up a FB post; https://www.facebook.com/RideForever...location=group
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    I would not agree with RideForever that the covid19 website is the "gold standard " for information after my experiences with travel at level 4.

I would suggest instead the info on the Ministry of Transport website. You are allowed to use private vehicles for various purposes in your local area, so don't go too far from home and have a valid reason for travel if you're stopped.

Bike
    Tuono 660, Suzuki SV650 racebike
    Well I rang the police covid info line and I must admit she did seem a bit vauge and spent a lot of time looking at her screen in silence and in the end deemed that it was an acceptable recreational activity as long as you did it within your 'region'. She did say 'dont do it all the time though' lol.
    So I went for a ride of 50 miles 'around the block' and it was very enjoyable. Took a couple of snaps along the way and by the lakes:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010110 (2).JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	540.4 KB 
ID:	345822Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010118.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	563.3 KB 
ID:	345823Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010123.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	624.1 KB 
ID:	345824Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010131.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	632.0 KB 
ID:	345825

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Good one. Did you see any other bikes?

Thread Information