Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Got me a KTM 390 Adventure

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Spoke to AFC motorcycles manager on Friday. He said the small capacity KTMs are going gangbusters and can't get enough in. Who would imagin them having enough puff to go outside city limits eh

Bike
    Indian Scout
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonez View Post
    Spoke to AFC motorcycles manager on Friday. He said the small capacity KTMs are going gangbusters and can't get enough in. Who would imagin them having enough puff to go outside city limits eh
    Yeah if you get a chance to take a spin try one out. I think you have been riding for many years like me so you will remember 70s small singles were ..feeble to be honest. I enjoyed my SL125, XL175 and XL250 in the dirt but they had nothing to offer on the road. KTM deserve to sell bucket loads of 390s for making a stonking little motor and providing a cheaper 50:50 road : adventure alternative to these stupid overpriced heavy 800cc to 1200cc bikes going for $22,00 to $35,000. How many people in these tough times have that sort of cash to splash out on a toy.

The 390 can handle long spells on open roads and motorways no problem and leave the tin tops behind putting a smile on your face. Top gear roll on is pleasant from 100kph overtaking or even at 120 it still has some surprising pulling power. Full tit from traffic lights using the QS is a blast.

I was hoping they would keep it simple, stick with the 390 Adv. formula and go with a slightly bigger single (450 to 575 max) rather than the extra weight and width for a twin. Before you know it it will creep out to an overweight overpriced 700cc or more . Oh wait, they already have that and it's over twice the price.
    Happiness is a means of travel, not a destination

Bike
    2001 Yamaha R6 (from new)
    MD, it has been a while since the last post in this thread. Have you still got your KTM 390 Adventure? How has the last year or so been? Any servicing issues?

I'm considering a KTM 390 Adventure. Is there LAMS and non-LAMS versions? (I suspect that they will ALL be LAMS).

I heard the valve clearances should be checked every 15,000 km. If you buy a new KTM 390 Adventure, at what point does the shop do the first valve clearance check?

I plan to take one for a test ride later this week.
    Shit doesn't just happen; there's usually an arsehole involved.

Bike
    Indian Scout
    Quote Originally Posted by Odakyu-sen View Post
    MD, it has been a while since the last post in this thread. Have you still got your KTM 390 Adventure? How has the last year or so been? Any servicing issues?

I'm considering a KTM 390 Adventure. Is there LAMS and non-LAMS versions? (I suspect that they will ALL be LAMS).

I heard the valve clearances should be checked every 15,000 km. If you buy a new KTM 390 Adventure, at what point does the shop do the first valve clearance check?

I plan to take one for a test ride later this week.
    Hi. See my pm. I sold it recently because I couldn't justify two bikes in the garage and I had done the Molesworth and explored all the Rapa backroads I set out to experience from Wgtn to near Dannevirke. Here a pic from the Molesworth. We entered from Blenheim at 28 degrees blistering clear sky. Half way in it dropped to 5 degrees and biblical downpouring. The KTM was perfect for the challenge. No so my decision to pack light summer clothing only and no rain suit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20201127_170040 (1).jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	477.5 KB 
ID:	350334  

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by MD View Post
    Hi. See my pm. I sold it recently because I couldn't justify two bikes in the garage and I had done the Molesworth and explored all the Rapa backroads I set out to experience from Wgtn to near Dannevirke. Here a pic from the Molesworth. We entered from Blenheim at 28 degrees blistering clear sky. Half way in it dropped to 5 degrees and biblical downpouring. The KTM was perfect for the challenge. No so my decision to pack light summer clothing only and no rain suit.
    Hello MD,

Thanks for your private e-mail. My next step is to test-ride one.

I have my 2001 R6 that I bought new from Red Baron. It has 165,000 km and I love it. I believe that less is more. (Ohlins suspension (rear), front fork emulators and an Ohlins steering dampener.) A great sports-tourer! It just doesn't like unsealed roads. Back in 2013 I bought a KLR650 new. Great bike straight out of the box. Handled really well on wet, greasy roads below 90 km/h. What I didn't like about it was its thirst for oil once pushed over 4,500 rpm. It's maximum happy open-road speed was 100 km/h (although it had the punch for overtaking). It needed a 6th gear. It was rather heavy, too.

The CB500X gave me a good first impression, but is heavy. It is more road-oriented and will compete with my R6 as a road bike. The Versys-X 300 is an odd beast. On one hand, breathlessly revvy up through the gears, and yet you can drop the speed in 6th gear down to 70 km/h and it will accelerate away with smoothness. I think the KTM 390 Adventure will be better separated from the R6, but is not as far "off-road" as the Honda CRF300 Rally. I do not intend to ride off-road at all. Just unsealed road touring on all those untravelled, traffic-free roads throughout New Zealand.

I want a bike that is "fun to ride." (I rode a mate's DL650 and found it too heavy and bland -- although a really practical and competent machine.)

The KTM dealer opens tomorrow, so I see about a test rie.

Bike
    Just couple of questions about the KTM 390 Adventure (for MD or any other owners)

1. What are the oil change intervals? (7,500 km I think...).
    2. Did you need to add oil between oil changes? If so, roughly how many ml of oil per 1,000 km?
    3. Did the shop ever check the valve clearances? Did they need to adjust the valve clearances? (As a reference, Red Baron checked my R6 valve clearances at 40,000 / 80,000 and 120,000 km but never needed to change any of the shims.)

Bike
    Indian Scout
    Quote Originally Posted by Odakyu-sen View Post
    Just couple of questions about the KTM 390 Adventure (for MD or any other owners)

1. What are the oil change intervals? (7,500 km I think...).
    2. Did you need to add oil between oil changes? If so, roughly how many ml of oil per 1,000 km?
    3. Did the shop ever check the valve clearances? Did they need to adjust the valve clearances? (As a reference, Red Baron checked my R6 valve clearances at 40,000 / 80,000 and 120,000 km but never needed to change any of the shims.)
    Hi
    It didn't need any oil top up. Yes the service interval is 7,500km. Mine had the 7,500km service at a reasonable cost of about $230 I think. I haven't got the manual anymore so no idea if that service included valves. I sold it just before the next 15,000km service was due. Never wore out the tyres either.

Thread Information