Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New and old PC gear chat.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    ]Bullseye bombscoring, weird I had a dream about that the other day. We ended up with the spare cameras, think we gave them to the airforce.
    That's the one. Had a break in at the main tower (Master Quadrent) one weekend. Luckily they couldn't get to the the second floor to pinch the batteries or the cameras stored in their cases.We had three cameras (JVC iirc). With a back up spare held at Ohakea. One in the Slave Quadrent(tower) and two set up in the Master Quadrent to triagulate were the bombs and rockets hit the sand.. The recorder was a BETA type and the RSO(Range Safety Officer- gererally a young Flying Officer or Pilot Officer from 14 or 75 Squadron) would take the tape and score printout done on a 24 pin dot matrix printer back to Ohakea for debriefing.

Looking out at sea from Master Quadrent and seeing a couple of jets coming towards you below the top of the sand dunes was an eye opener. The Master tower would shake an rattle when they past by.

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonez View Post
    S
    I'd imagine the kids would enjoy it as well. My first x86 system was a flip top 286/16 system, 1 meg of ram,256kvga card, 14" 28 dot pitch vga crt, 1meg of ram, a 40meg hdd, 101 key keyboard, joystick, 2 button mouse and a 9 pin dot matrix printer. Loaded it with DR Dos 6, GeoWorks Pro and various other software including games of course. Got updated over the years to have a sound card(first was a Activision Thunderboard), modem, nic and ended up as a Pentium 133 iirc and past on to a family mdember. Original configuration as a 286/16 was $2400 at the time and a meg of ram cost $100 a stick of 30 pin sipp/simm. Learnt a lot on that 286.
    Yeah the kids love it, sleep overs always involve a lot of fun VR games.

Computer prices never come down huh, just we get better tech.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post

Basicly. The 286 was the only system I ever bought new. Connie bought this laptop and I've inherited her 7" Samsung tablet when she updated that. Got about an eighth of a double garage with so called legacy hardware and software. My main erea of interest is operating systems and graphical desktop enviroments used in the past(pior to 2001). Not really a gamer as such but have a lot of boxed Dos stuff. Got a Dec 486DX2/66 setup running OS/2 v3 with OS/2 Server v4 network client installed.

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Basicly. The 286 was the only system I ever bought new. Connie bought this laptop and I've inherited her 7" Samsung tablet when she updated that. Got about an eighth of a double garage with so called legacy hardware and software. My main erea of interest is operating systems and graphical desktop enviroments used in the past(pior to 2001). Not really a gamer as such but have a lot of boxed Dos stuff. Got a Dec 486DX2/66 setup running OS/2 v3 with OS/2 Server v4 network client installed.
    I've never been a big gamer, but a passing interest I guess. VR is quite interesting for me, I can definitely attest to it helping with my pain. It took a little for my brain to grasp the concept of seeing a left arm in action but while it still can affect me poorly sometimes for the most part it helps to lower the volume one or two notches.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    I've never been a big gamer, but a passing interest I guess. VR is quite interesting for me, I can definitely attest to it helping with my pain. It took a little for my brain to grasp the concept of seeing a left arm in action but while it still can affect me poorly sometimes for the most part it helps to lower the volume one or two notches.
    Good to see you are getting some benefif from it. Understand where you are comiing from wrt constant pain. Connie is in pain 24/7 due to arthritis but she still manages to do some fantastic art work on her scrollsaw. Once shes behind that she can be at it for hours without interruption or until I bring her out a cuppa.

Just fired my 286/12, loaded the nic packet driver, winpkt. fired up win 3.1 with Trumpet Winsock, loaded the pirch16 irc client and am chatting with a Discord channal over their irc bridge.. Or I could just load the nic packet driver and run the mTCP irc client in Dos to connect up..

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries

Oh I dunno. recall when a big plastics factory blew up in Japan about 20 or so years ago, they made something that was essential to computer RAM. Prices spiked at over $100/MEG - you could get 8Gig for that now
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    Oh I dunno. recall when a big plastics factory blew up in Japan about 20 or so years ago, they made something that was essential to computer RAM. Prices spiked at over $100/MEG - you could get 8Gig for that now
    True but an anomaly.

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    "Put hand in pocket"

Now, let's see who knows what that is in reference to...
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemonLord View Post
    "Put hand in pocket"

The pocket you cut the insert out of? You dirty fucker.....

Prevent static discharge or earthing yourself ZAP!!! KILL!! BOOM!!!!.....CRTs especially.

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    The pocket you cut the insert out of? You dirty fucker.....
    Nope.

think VERY old game.

And pissing difficult too.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Nope.

think VERY old game.

And pissing difficult too.
    When you so VERY old '70s, 80s or '90s? I was never much of a gamer.

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    When you so VERY old '70s, 80s or '90s? I was never much of a gamer.
    late 70s to early 80s I think.

The game is older than I am.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Computer communication the old skool way. 286, Dos packet driver, Dos irc client, 10mps nic, 10/'100Mps switch connected to the isp router.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200331_092541[1].jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	410.1 KB 
ID:	345071

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    Our neighbours had the Vic20, was fantastic. Then I got a Commodore 64 (tape drive lol), thought I was the shit. Then another friend got the 500, don't think I played the 64 again.
    Commodore 64 with a tape drive was my first personal computer at home. Loading games from the tape was always hit and miss if the drive head was either dirty or slightly misaligned.

At university, we used IBM 5150s. They were fun, but could easily be used as a personal heating device.

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    "Put hand in pocket"

Adventur? Entirely text based, I played in on IBM NZs mainframe system. Usually got hopelessly lost in the "maze of little twisty passages, all alike" or maybe it was the "maze of little twisty passages, all different"
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Thread Information