Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New and old PC gear chat.

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    Adventur? Entirely text based, I played in on IBM NZs mainframe system. Usually got hopelessly lost in the "maze of little twisty passages, all alike" or maybe it was the "maze of little twisty passages, all different"
    Ooooooo Very Close, you're correct it's a Text Based game!
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Colossal Cave Adventure?

Should ask my vintage comp bubbies over at vcf,com or vogons.org. Vogons is more x86 orientated though. To a lot of them a P4 is vintage....

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeper View Post
    Commodore 64 with a tape drive was my first personal computer at home. Loading games from the tape was always hit and miss if the drive head was either dirty or slightly misaligned.

At university, we used IBM 5150s. They were fun, but could easily be used as a personal heating device.
    Oh yeah, the tape drive...

90mins or thereabouts to load Gauntlet only for it to fail in the last couple minutes.

Bike
    2007 Suzuki SV1000s
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    Oh yeah, the tape drive...

90mins or thereabouts to load Gauntlet only for it to fail in the last couple minutes.
    Late in the life of the C64, they developed something called turbo-load, which made the screen flash all kinds of weird colours while the program was loading off the tape. It speed up tape load times to the point where the same program loaded from tape loaded faster than the disk drive in some cases!

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Quote Originally Posted by BuzzardNZ View Post
    Late in the life of the C64, they developed something called turbo-load, which made the screen flash all kinds of weird colours while the program was loading off the tape. It speed up tape load times to the point where the same program loaded from tape loaded faster than the disk drive in some cases!
    Damn Wish I had had that. Modern tech eh.

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonez View Post
    Colossal Cave Adventure?

Should ask my vintage comp bubbies over at vcf,com or vogons.org. Vogons is more x86 orientated though. To a lot of them a P4 is vintage....
    Vogons ...
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemonLord View Post
    Vogons ...
    Lol' Generally a bunch of good cunts. The resident Mac nut has been put in his place. Some interesting shit they come up with. Originated as an emulator support site and PIs ups were the go. A few of us older chaps put that right though.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BuzzardNZ View Post
    Ah, the ol turbo buttons on the school PCs. Left them on all the time. Think it shortened their life, but they weren't ours
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Fially got an area set up again for testing any old kit I get. Currently it has Super Socket 7 mobo with Pentium 166mmx, 128megs of ram, SiS vga card, Realtech network card, 2 port usb2 card and a 8gig ide harddrive with Xandros 3, alo early 2000 linux distro, loaded on it. Had to replace the 2032 cmos battery before everything behaved inself. Monitor is an lcd tv which takes standard ASUS laptop screens and has a large asortment of out put ports so I can test SAGA consols, old 8-bit systems and a lot more.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200410_150205[1].jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	399.8 KB 
ID:	345317  

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    I'm guessing you young uns wouldn't have been around then?

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/04/08/b...rnd/index.html
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    I'm guessing you young uns wouldn't have been around then?

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/04/08/b...rnd/index.html
    I was two in 1960. How old were you pritch?

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonez View Post
    I was two in 1960. How old were you pritch?
    Dunno about Pritch but I was 12 in 1960.

In the late 1980's, I cut my computer teeth on an Amiga 500 which we boosted to 1000 with a "wonderful and highly advanced" memory pack...I learned a lot from that Amiga. Like how to navigate around faulty start up procedures, (turns out there is indeed more than one way to skin a cat) spread sheets that didn't add up correctly (it's true, I did have one such...which got me into trouble with IRD eventually). And various other workarounds. Like not to share software if you want to avoid a virus infection. I still use some of that experience today.

At present, on my latest machine, I am playing my way through all the old games I haven't played for ages. Like FEAR f'rinstance, and Doom and Quake etc etc etc. Beats reading books all the time.

I'm sure looking forward to a beer in a pub in a week or three...
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by slofox View Post
    Dunno about Pritch but I was 12 in 1960
    I was old enough to have a motorbike licence.

It was surprising to read that so much infrastructure in "the greatest nation on earth" is still based on such an antiquated system.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    I was old enough to have a motorbike licence.

It was surprising to read that so much infrastructure in "the greatest nation on earth" is still based on such an antiquated system.
    Because it did what it was suppose to do... Most COBOL programmers are dead, retired or really don't give a shit. There's a few over at vcf.com

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Turned out the SiS vidio card was flakey on my test. All good now though. Down load some stuff I normally use in linux from the Debian Sarge archives.

Thread Information