Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: New and old PC gear chat.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by neels View Post
    Looking at your pics, your garage would be an ideal new home for the box of stuff I've got sitting in the garage.... ISA/VESA/AGP cards various (sound, video, modem etc), old ram, IDE hard drives...

Must fire up the old P150 that's sitting in the corner and reacquaint myself with windows 98SE some time too.
    If you really want to get rid of that box of bits flick me a PM neels. I'm always on the hunt for old computer stuff.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quite a productive day setting up the wireless IP cameras today. Received a usb wireless IP camera this morning to set up in the kitchen facing the front of the section. The monitor software I am using on this linux system is called Xeoma. I'm using the free version which allows you to monitor four IP cameras. Set up was very straight forward. Run the basic search in the add camera menu and run the simple IP camera search. So far I've bought:

For under the car port: -10mtr power extention cable, 20 cable holders to fix the cord to the car port frame and a holder for the wireless psu/extention cable connection to protect then from the weather. The carport camera was given to us. Feed the ext cable though the shed after making a hole with a hole saw cutter on a power had drill. Once the cable was feed though the hole made a seal up out of an old frork dust seal with another seal insidnd power adapter.

Monotoring systems:- a couple of Android tablets running iCSee Pro software. Also this 3GHz P4 HP slim line desktop running Linux Mintrunning the MATE desktop enviroment and of course the Xeoma free edition surveillance software mentioned ealier. Works wonderfully well.

All up cost is $140 so far. We'll add anther wireless IP camera and locate it in the conservatory, It'll be the same type we fitted in the kitchen which cost $50 delivered from Auckland. No fancy box or ethernet cabling required. And best of all no MS Windows or MacOS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IP Cams.png 
Views:	27 
Size:	633.3 KB 
ID:	347410  

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    The idiot druggy/theiving bunch across the road have finally gone. They didn't clean up the house or property on leaving and left a lot of crap laying around. The owner is back from overseas organizing to get the rubbish removed and the house/property prepped for sale. There were two broken HP/Compaq Notebooks left on the drive way. Both had broken screens, one had no HDD or Ram and the other still had it's ram(12Gig and 320gig HDD. The house owner said I could have them so snatched them up.

A few hours later I had one monitorless system up and running with MS Windows 7 installation on i using an external lcd monitor.t. I restored the Win7 back to as sold using the restore partition image, pulled that and fitted a HDD with Linux Mint Debian Edition 4 on it. This system is now set up as my main computer in the lounge anlong with a nice HP LCD monitor I got from Cash Convertors for $10 and accessories I picked up in a NEC/Packard Bell P4 bundle I got off TradeMe. All up under $60 for the whole setup.

Name:	IMAG0014.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	544.8 KB 
ID:	348144  

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    I had a go at the second dud HP/Compaq CQ62. Pulled the busted lcd panel out, cracked open the system unit, added a new cmos battery, put in some ram and a small SATA hdd in it with a modified hdd holder from some unknown( long gone) system using a round and flat file. A family member gave me A Samsung notebook with the same size lcd panel as the CQ62 that was working but the Samsung system unit had far to many other issues to sort out. Pulled the DVD-RW from the Samsung then fitted it to the CQ62 system unit. Pulled out of the Samsung lcd panel and fitted it in the CQ62 lcd housing. It took a few mods-cut off fthe Samsung lcd mounting tags, a bit of filing and tweaking with a pair of long nose pliers to fit the CQ62 lcd mount attachments to the Samsung lcd panel. Then fitted th panel in to the CQ62 lcd housing.

I tested the CQ62 system unit prior to fitting the new lcd setup with an external lcd monitor. Apart from the wifi card, which I pulled due to the system set up routine not liking it. Fitted another wifi card which the system liked I had removed from another scrapped system. The system booted up just fine, then tested a few things in Linux Mint Debian Edition 4. All hardware was working as it should.

I shut down the system then fitted the lcd assy to the system unit. Fired it up and all was oaky dokey with the complete notebook assembled. I'm very happy with the result. A new computer for me for $nz0 and about 5 leisurely hours of my time.

I'll keep the Samsung notebook mobo for another project I have in mind in the future.

I love the way you can swap/mod these PC thingys.

Name:	DSC_0000271.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	713.8 KB 
ID:	348264  

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonez View Post
    I love the way you can swap/mod these PC thingys.
    You'll love the new gear in a few years. My HP EliteBook X360 has memory soldered to the motherboard, no easy upgrade The price for portability, slimmer, less weight etc
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    You'll love the new gear in a few years. My HP EliteBook X360 has memory soldered to the motherboard, no easy upgrade The price for portability, slimmer, less weight etc
    Doesn't sound good at all.l Using this setup saves 42% in power usage compared with my previous set up and it showed up on last months power bill. It's been a very good learning experience for this 61 year old. Found out there is a computer refurbish store that puts pre used system up for sale at very reasonable prices last month. So will be visiting that a lot for sure. The staff are nice and down to earth.

Getting a set of Workbench 2.1 disks and and manuals for one of my Amiga 600s so I'll be able to set one up with a hard drive ot set up on it because both weren't the A600HDD version the Workbench 2.05s never came with the hdd installation floppy.

Also think I'll update the 386DX33, that was dropped off under the cart port one day while I was at work, to a Cyrix 386DLC33 and Cyrix 387 FastMath math co-processor. The mobo is from 1989 so I don't think I can go up to 40Mhz without changing the board oscillator and I have the 33Mhz Cyrix cpu and math co-pro in a storage drew.

As for future systems I'm betting there will be gamer laptops in abundance I could swap bits around on because they are aways trying to keep will there fellow gamers want the latest and greatest. The equivalent to those bragging that their cock is better, bigger and faster. Bit like some KB members really . Or iPhone users queuing up at the latest iPone XYZ release..

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Popped in to town on Darky to get some rubber domes for on the bottem of the recent CQ62 build. Attached them with Husaberks favorate adhesive " Gorilla Grip" .

The portable behind it in the pic is one of the first laptops from the early '80, a NEC PC-8201A I got from a co-worker when I was at FieldAir. He worked for Telecom back in the day. He also gave me the related service/repair manuals. I just repacked the rechargable battery pack a month ago.

Name:	DSC_0000282.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	659.5 KB 
ID:	348273  

Bike
    Aprillia RSV1000R 92 KX500
    Blog Entries
    Looks like you used a camera from the 80's to take that shot.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    I absolutely love ignoring KB members who falsely accuse me of posting I am threatening to physically assault them.

Indeed especially one who has been on numerous runs with me in the past.

Just saying...

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport

TT EXTRA|Proffessional 10Mhz Series 8088 system from 1987.

ITT EXTRA|Proffessional 10Mhz Series 8088 system from 1987.

Got ITT EXRA|Profession Series 10Mhz 8088 Model-No. 401470-007 system from 1987 this week. Smaller form factor than my Redstone XT-Turbo system. I really did n't what another XT class system but one was far to good a deal to pass up. It has a 8087 maths co-processor, 768kb of ram stock, a 720k 3.5" fdd with the controller is on the motherboard, the Microscribe HDD and controller which were removed because the hard drive is dead, mono/colour video, and this is icing on the cake-a Rev2 XT-IDE isa card along with CF adapter with 64meg CF with cost more than I paid for the entire system.

Swiiched video from mono to colour, inserted a PC Dos 5 .02 then MS Dos 5a boot disk and both booted up fine on the EGA monitor I have. There seems to be an issue with the XT-IDE set up. I suspect the problem is the mobo jumper settings. The jumpers on the XT-IDE card are set exactly the same as my Redstone Computers XT-Turbo system which boots up the 4gig bigfoot drive just fine.

minuszerodegrees.net has a service manual for an ITT 8088 system but it is for the 1985 model which has a bigger case and vertical ISA slots. He also has the later MS Dos 3.2. The MFM hdd has Dos 3.3 on written with a red permanent maker. If any one has info on the jumper settings or a pdf of the serviced would rapped to have a copy of it. Mobo part no. is 401452-01A

Any way in general in very happy with the purchase.

After quite a while(a few hours) I finally got all jumpers set up correctly. Booting up from a Maxtor 4.2gig IDE hard drive with IBM Dos 5.02 on it. GeoWorks picks up the video out as CGA..I've scibbled the jumper positions on a piece of A4 paper to refer to in future. I'll likely fit an 8-bit vga card in it. More monitor options. I have a high density floppy card,, Activision ThunderBoard sound card, an external SCSI card and a few other 8-bit cards to play about with.. I wont even bother with the CF card reader for the time being. Use the ISA slot it blocks out for something useful .

I'll keep the 720k fdd in it for now. I'm really surprise how quick it boot to the Dos prompt.

Name:	ITT_5.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	185.1 KB 
ID:	348449   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ITT_3.JPG 
Views:	7 
Size:	265.3 KB 
ID:	348450   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ITT_4.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	248.2 KB 
ID:	348451   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ITT_6.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	217.7 KB 
ID:	348452  

Thread Information