Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New and old PC gear chat.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport

New and old PC gear chat.

On a different note. https://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/...7f41a63c1c-003

I have two of these in similar condition and $350 is what you'd get for one. Easy to test with a/v cables.

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonez View Post
    On a different note. https://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/...7f41a63c1c-003

I have two of these in similar condition and $350 is what you'd get for one. Easy to test with a/v cables.
    Our neighbours had the Vic20, was fantastic. Then I got a Commodore 64 (tape drive lol), thought I was the shit. Then another friend got the 500, don't think I played the 64 again.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    Our neighbours had the Vic20, was fantastic. Then I got a Commodore 64 (tape drive lol), thought I was the shit. Then another friend got the 500, don't think I played the 64 again.
    Kids had a couple of C64s. My brother had a really nice Amiga 500 set up. Hard drive. colour dot matrix printer and a few other goodies. Tons of games. Wished I'd snagged it when he got rid of it. Went on an Acorn RiscPC binge in 2012-2015(before I got seriously ill) and now have a shit load of Acorn related stuff. Always wanted an Acorn A600 when they were released. At that time I had a 486DX33 made up of hand me down parts as I'd decided very early on buying new was a waste of money. I eventually upgraded that to a 486DX2/66.

Bike
    Sold
    I still have a Sinclair Spectrum! Ditched the old case with rubber keys and bought the Spectrum Plus case. Built my own interface for the joystick so that I could play Tornado Low Level properly . Somewhere, I still have the high speed tape drive that Sinclair developed. Haven't seen it for years though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1649.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	866.0 KB 
ID:	345018  

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Kids had a couple of C64s. My brother had a really nice Amiga 500 set up. Hard drive. colour dot matrix printer and a few other goodies. Tons of games. Wished I'd snagged it when he got rid of it. Went on an Acorn RiscPC binge in 2012-2015(before I got seriously ill) and now have a shit load of Acorn related stuff. Always wanted an Acorn A600 when they were released. At that time I had a 486DX33 made up of hand me down parts as I'd decided very early on buying new was a waste of money. I eventually upgraded that to a 486DX2/66.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    I still have a Sinclair Spectrum! Ditched the old case with rubber keys and bought the Spectrum Plus case. Built my own interface for the joystick so that I could play Tornado Low Level properly . Somewhere, I still have the high speed tape drive that Sinclair developed. Haven't seen it for years though.
    All good gear in it's day. I'm glad I had to experience waiting an hour and a half for Gauntlet to load, 20% having to reload it. Now I'm running an i7 9700, 32GB ram and RTX2080 GPU. A system like that allows me to run VR at 90fps with the candy all turned up. What I have today is here thanks to systems like the C64 (yes more thanks to PC's but they didn't hook me in initially).

To keep some sort of relevance to the thread, the PC ran me close to $4k (the VR another $2500). I've seen people trying to sell PC's lower spec than mine for close to $5k, mostly because they have more flashing lights in their cases. And on a motorcycling note, damn I wish something like Isle Of Man 2 supported VR. I mostly drive cars and fly jets in VR.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    And on a motorcycling note, damn I wish something like Isle Of Man 2 supported VR. I mostly drive cars and fly jets in VR.
    I never thunk of that! Sat on the bike in the shed with latest Oculus wireless VR head set, at the TT.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Still an avid following for those still.

All good gear in it's day. I'm glad I had to experience waiting an hour and a half for Gauntlet to load, 20% having to reload it. Now I'm running an i7 9700, 32GB ram and RTX2080 GPU. A system like that allows me to run VR at 90fps with the candy all turned up. What I have today is here thanks to systems like the C64 (yes more thanks to PC's but they didn't hook me in initially).

To keep some sort of relevance to the thread, the PC ran me close to $4k (the VR another $2500). I've seen people trying to sell PC's lower spec than mine for close to $5k, mostly because they have more flashing lights in their cases. And on a motorcycling note, damn I wish something like Isle Of Man 2 supported VR. I mostly drive cars and fly jets in VR.
    I'd imagine the kids would enjoy it as well. My first x86 system was a flip top 286/16 system, 1 meg of ram,256kvga card, 14" 28 dot pitch vga crt, 1meg of ram, a 40meg hdd, 101 key keyboard, joystick, 2 button mouse and a 9 pin dot matrix printer. Loaded it with DR Dos 6, GeoWorks Pro and various other software including games of course. Got updated over the years to have a sound card(first was a Activision Thunderboard), modem, nic and ended up as a Pentium 133 iirc and past on to a family mdember. Original configuration as a 286/16 was $2400 at the time and a meg of ram cost $100 a stick of 30 pin sipp/simm. Learnt a lot on that 286.

Bike
    Aprillia RSV1000R 92 KX500
    Blog Entries
    I started on the mighty Sinclair ZX81, then upgraded to the BBC.
    I remember hours of coding in games from magazines, then again, more hours looking for the bugs in said magazines code

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by sugilite View Post
    I remember hours of coding in games from magazines, then again, more hours looking for the bugs in said magazines code
    A mate gave me the complete hard copy set of the UK mid '80s Marshall Cavendish INPUT magizines. These covered 8-bit computers of the period. You can get the pdfs with the program listings https://archive.org/details/inputmagazine

Bike
    GSXR1000
    lol been there done that. God it was torturous.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    A mate gave me the complete hard copy set of the UK mid '80s Marshall Cavendish INPUT magizines. These covered 8-bit computers of the period. You can get the pdfs with the program listings https://archive.org/details/inputmagazine
    Cheers for the tip

lol been there done that. God it was torturous.
    It sure was lol
    Putting 20 cents in a slot never looked so tempting after a few of those sessions lol
    Mame emulators are interesting for those

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Cheers for the tip

It sure was lol
    Putting 20 cents in a slot never looked so tempting after a few of those sessions lol
    Mame emulators are interesting for those
    No worries. I find the artwork on those mags fascinating as well. Well before I was interested in computers. More having to later on because of my job at Air Staff in Wellywood. Direct Acess was the menuing setup, Wordstar2000 was the primary word processor in the mob before we moved over to Word on Win 3.1. DBase III and Lotus123 being the other biggies before everything went MS Windows based..

The Raumai Aircraft Weapons Range was run by a 286 hooked up to some pretty fancy hi resolution recording gear. The young airman could bring out their trail bikes, on the back of the service Toyota Hi-Lux ute, for playing on the fire breaks between sorties. Used them for putting up and pulling down the boundry safety flags too. Had a Hino fire truck out there as well in case of the dry grass catching a light, which happened or for controlled burn offs around the target area.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    No worries. I find the artwork on those mags fascinating as well. Well before I was interested in computers. More having to later on because of my job at Air Staff in Wellywood. Direct Acess was the menuing setup, Wordstar2000 was the primary word processor in the mob before we moved over to Word on Win 3.1. DBase III and Lotus123 being the other biggies before everything went MS Windows based..

The Raumai Aircraft Weapons Range was run by a 286 hooked up to some pretty fancy hi resolution recording gear. The young airman could bring out their trail bikes, on the back of the service Toyota Hi-Lux ute, for playing on the fire breaks between sorties. Used them for putting up and pulling down the boundry safety flags too. Had a Hino fire truck out there as well in case of the dry grass catching a light, which happened or for controlled burn offs around the target area.
    Sounds like your computer work got you out and about! I was largely trapped in a windowless (no pun intended) bunker with water cooled SNA driven IBM mainframes for company when working for the old GCS (Government Computing Services) as a Network Controller.
    I remember all the software you mention, except DBase III. And ahhh yes, the venerable old 286, eye watering price, no wonder it inspired clone wars!

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Sounds like your computer work got you out and about! I was largely trapped in a windowless (no pun intended) bunker with water cooled SNA driven IBM mainframes for company when working for the old GCS (Government Computing Services) as a Network Controller.
    I remember all the software you mention, except DBase III. And ahhh yes, the venerable old 286, eye watering price, no wonder it inspired clone wars!
    You generally got moved around every three years or so. Not bad if you stay on the same base. I picked up a 1990 Zenith Z286LP Plus (286/12) a while back in a car boot lot of basicly old computer crap for $20 just around the corner. Quite a nifty compact wee unit and designed from the outset to run Windows 3.0. It takes 8meg of ram which was quite unusual at the time and had the option of upgrade to a 386SX. I've maxed it out and replaced the dead hdd. Was given a Redstone XT Turbo from a mom and pop computer repair shop over in Hastings. The guy was an Amiga nut and had a lot of cool stuff. Anything he couldn't use or didn't want he'd just place by the front door for anyone to grab.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	286Arachne1.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	431.5 KB 
ID:	345035   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RedstoneXT.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	345036  

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries

Bullseye bombscoring, weird I had a dream about that the other day. We ended up with the spare cameras, think we gave them to the airforce.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Thread Information