Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: hcci test

Bike
    bsa. honda. aprilia

you tube

I've tried to add you tube video... but I give up...its on there ...nitro/petrol mix with igniter

Bike
    bsa. honda. aprilia
    i

Sort of fires but my fuel delivery system is crap !! It also doesn't want to know at all without the igniter battery..

Bike
    bsa bantam
    Hi Nigel,
    Great to see that you are still doing crazy, innovative and inspiring stuff, hope you get there mate, can`t wait for a new `Midlands`, perhaps next year.

Regards, Trevor

Bike
    bsa. honda. aprilia

Sealing issues

Well this is my design for my adjustable combustion head which is a rehash of the one i made earlier. It wouldnt seal ... If anyone has any advise on what i intend to do please comment.so Maybe it wouldn't be another wasted effort..Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201014_170653.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	726.1 KB 
ID:	347496

Bike
    1975 Hodaka Wombat
    We did some testing with a 26 cc racing engine on glow ignition. We couldn't get the plugs to hold up. The plugs that could stand the pressure wouldn't constantly fire and the others blew out the center element. We probably needed to play with head volumes. On spark ignition it ran well on 15% nitro model fuel, but burned the electrodes off the plug on 40% nitro. I wrote an article on model engine head design. See namba.com/content/library/propwash/2019/october/4/#zoom=z if that helps.

Model "diesels" depend on a close fit with the moveable head and the cylinder. They're adjusted by a central screw. I'm not sure how well that would work on a larger bore. Our luck with this style piston on a 36 cc engine wasn't good. The head is a less exacting application, though. It needs to be very close to a zero clearance fit in a very round bore.

Lohring Miller

Bike
    bsa. honda. aprilia

sealing...

Quote Originally Posted by lohring View Post
    We did some testing with a 26 cc racing engine on glow ignition. We couldn't get the plugs to hold up. The plugs that could stand the pressure wouldn't constantly fire and the others blew out the center element. We probably needed to play with head volumes. On spark ignition it ran well on 15% nitro model fuel, but burned the electrodes off the plug on 40% nitro. I wrote an article on model engine head design. See namba.com/content/library/propwash/2019/october/4/#zoom=z if that helps.

Model "diesels" depend on a close fit with the moveable head and the cylinder. They're adjusted by a central screw. I'm not sure how well that would work on a larger bore. Our luck with this style piston on a 36 cc engine wasn't good. The head is a less exacting application, though. It needs to be very close to a zero clearance fit in a very round bore.

Lohring Miller
    thanks, ill take a look at the article.. i had hoped my original piston ring sealing method would be the way to go and maybe i should have another go at it but improve my machining... or even try and press in a pre plated sleeve with an opposing modified piston. at least that wouldn't need me to up my game on the machining front.

Bike
    bsa. honda. aprilia

latest

tried the threaded piston ..... but still no satisfactory seal,,

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kiwi2.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	690.0 KB 
ID:	348642Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kiwi3.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	713.8 KB 
ID:	348643Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kiwi biker pic 1.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	692.5 KB 
ID:	348644Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kiwi5.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	715.6 KB 
ID:	348645

so Ive made a sleeve from a weed whacker cylinder and pressed that in and machined the piston down and coupled it to a shaft... my starter motor has burnt out so testing this is on hold till i can replace it..
    Last edited by breezy; 4th March 2021 at 06:29. Reason: attachment didint load

Bike
    bsa. honda. aprilia

threaded piston

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kiwi4.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	700.7 KB 
ID:	348646 piston threaded, managed to groove the internal shaft to incorporate wire for a glow plug, which was then sleeved with chrome plated brass tube,
    Last edited by breezy; 4th March 2021 at 06:33. Reason: more info

Bike
    2015 Avanti
    That glow plug has the idle bar fitted to it. You need to try one without it. Also there is flat coil glow plugs that work well in 4stroke engines. Ontop of that they come in different heat ranges too, and different alloy compositions.
    Neil

Thread Information