Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hcci test

Bike
    bsa. honda. aprilia

hcci test

well ive had this kicking around for a while now and as im locked down seemed a good idea to have another look
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hcci cylinder.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	693.5 KB 
ID:	345145Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hcci test engine.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	758.3 KB 
ID:	345146Click image for larger version. 

Name:	seal failed.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	710.2 KB 
ID:	345147

had been originally inspired by flettner with his engine.( stole his starter set up). looks as though the piston rings in the adjustable combustion chamber are not sealing well enough to hold the required compression to fire up even with different types of fuel..https://youtu.be/9WzcnZaeYxw. i decided to put an outlet above the cylinder head piston to test the seal.....the piston ring set up has failed miserably where to go next? maybe a seal set up like that in a brake caliper with rubber seals. still need to fabricate a test system to test the head whilst its off. although ive started to make a simple cylinder head with a glow plug fitted to see if i can get the thing to fire up with rc fuel just to spur me on../

Bike
    RG50 and 76 Suzuki GP125 Buckets
    Very Interesting. I would love to see more as your project progresses.

Bike
    bsa. honda. aprilia
    Quote Originally Posted by TZ350 View Post
    Very Interesting. I would love to see more as your project progresses.
    hello tz, got a few more pictures to post and videos... tried to tag them onto my first post but the video links kept failing, but i will try again

Bike
    bsa. honda. aprilia

hcci...couple of videos showing piston .

https://youtu.be/_Q4r6hQ5NsY https://youtu.be/KpJxgvEYZ98 i did couple it up with a small motor to move the piston but once the piston rings were fitted the motor was no longer able to move the piston up and down in a controlled manner.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	exhuast erg valve.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	669.1 KB 
ID:	345150 picture of erg valve to keep the hot gaseinside the barrel.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hcci drawing.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	693.1 KB 
ID:	345151 this was original drawing for building the head.

Bike
    bsa. honda. aprilia
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	glow plug head.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	721.1 KB 
ID:	345269Click image for larger version. 

Name:	glow plug head1.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	757.7 KB 
ID:	345270 made a simple head for the engine today.... static compression 15:1 with a rc glow plug... see if i could get that to fire up.....it caught a couple of times but just not enough... i think pulley on the motor needs to be larger to spin the engine over faster...i was using rc fuel nitro methane through the carb...

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Breezy, should it have a carbutetor?

Bike
    bsa. honda. aprilia
    Quote Originally Posted by Flettner View Post
    Breezy, should it have a carbutetor?
    well, im not sure .. there was a lot of residue coming out the exhaust port.. as though it was very rich. i think that a single rc glow plug probably wasn't sufficient for the amount of fuel entering the cylinder. The cylinder has very poor ports, no real blow down to speak of. maybe a spray bottle would atomise the fuel delivery better . im a bit stuck at present as i need a larger pulley wheel to get it spinning up faster. Ive recently had a massive clear out of my garage and all my junk has been binned or given away. . But although it only chugged a few times im almost certain its almost there.. the compression is certainly there that's for sure. my adjustable piston cylinder head is probably not sealing very well due to my poor machining technique..i think i may try using the piston the rings came with see if that will seal... waiting on a few feabay bits to arrive to make a pressure tester, save keep fitting it then taking it off .... more to come..

Bike
    1991 MZ 301
    Quote Originally Posted by breezy View Post
    well, im not sure .. there was a lot of residue coming out the exhaust port.. as though it was very rich. i think that a single rc glow plug probably wasn't sufficient for the amount of fuel entering the cylinder. The cylinder has very poor ports, no real blow down to speak of. maybe a spray bottle would atomise the fuel delivery better . im a bit stuck at present as i need a larger pulley wheel to get it spinning up faster. Ive recently had a massive clear out of my garage and all my junk has been binned or given away. . But although it only chugged a few times im almost certain its almost there.. the compression is certainly there that's for sure. my adjustable piston cylinder head is probably not sealing very well due to my poor machining technique..i think i may try using the piston the rings came with see if that will seal... waiting on a few feabay bits to arrive to make a pressure tester, save keep fitting it then taking it off .... more to come..
    With 1:15 compression ratio and rich mixture You will get north of 200 bar max pressure if it HCCIes.

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    Not for long

Bike
    bsa. honda. aprilia
    i was kind of hoping it would fire up and die... asap.. pretty sure this engines big end wouldn't last too long with the high compression ratio.. i have attached the paper i read some time ago now....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9cd53c683b0ecfe4244e706aede218de9a45.pdf 
Views:	39 
Size:	499.7 KB 
ID:	345367

Bike
    1975 Hodaka Wombat
    Model engines have been successfully built with this system for a long time. They use a fuel that is 1/3 ether, 1/3 kerosene, and 1/3 lube oil. See the below links for more information.

https://www.flyrc.com/make-your-own-...nversion-head/
    http://www.cafes.net/doctordiesel/

Unfortunately, Robert Davis, the founder of Davis Diesel, has died.

Lohring Miller

Bike
    bsa. honda. aprilia

fuel

thanks lohring for these links, helpful to see how to fuel this kind of set up.... i have looked at the fueling i had tried, sort of off the cuff ,without any in depth look at the implications... i can see now why the engine spinning system im using began to labour significantly due to the increase in combustion pressure. as speed pro said " not for long".....

Bike
    bsa bantam
    Crikey Nigel is there nothing you won`t tackle?
    Great to see you keeping your hand in with all this obscure technical stuff, I wish you every success with HCCI you may well succeed where other failed, inspiring stuff your doing .

Cheers, Trevor

Bike
    bsa. honda. aprilia

hcci

Trevor, good to hear from you, its been a while. im a bit bored at present so im playing with my last little engine... got it to fire up today with the help of easy start..then my lashed up direct motor to engine linkage failed..... ran for a split second...should have set my phone camera up before, so its not recorded. still im happy....i recently got rid of all my bike bits and usefull scrap metal so im struggling to keep the project moving.
    keep safe mate..

Bike
    bsa. honda. aprilia
    Had another play with nitro/petrol mix with igniter head 15:1 comp...sort of fires /run no extensive run time though..my variable comp head is causing me issues with sealing at tdc.... just trying again to address this..little you tube vid to add..

Thread Information