Page 2 of 162 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: The journey that COVID-19 will take us on

Bike
    Twowheeled
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    I'm in a happy bubble & am planning to spend a lot more time living this way when it's over.
    I'm just seeing a double standard.
    I know how you feel about bubble living.

Double standard??

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxPenguin View Post
    I know how you feel about bubble living.

Double standard??
    Not from you, from the govrenments of the world regarding causes of death & their responses to them.

Bike
    Twowheeled
    Not from you, from the govrenments of the world regarding causes of death & their responses to them.
    Yeah if you drill down into the causes there are some questions, but I still believe locking down is all we have.

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    I don't blame governments, they're being steered into their responses by the medicos, who have all apparently been scared sh*tless by Covid-19.
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

Bike
    She resents being called a bike
    Blog Entries
    I'm in a happy bubble & am planning to spend a lot more time living this way when it's over.
    I've been doing it for the last 5 years. My everyday simply got better with the kids and missus being told to stay at home
    I didn't think!!! I experimented!!!

Bike
    motocompo
    Yeah if you drill down into the causes there are some questions, but I still believe locking down is all we have.
    It probably is. But for example, the total covid deaths in India today stand at around the same as their daily road toll & you don't see them banning cars.
    Covid will pass, their daily road toll will likely rise.

Bike
    Twowheeled
    It probably is. But for example, the total covid deaths in India today stand at around the same as their daily road toll & you don't see them banning cars.
    Yeah but one car crash can't infect all the other cars and cause a whole lot of car crashes that exponentially grows into a car crash Armageddon something like the blues brothers.

Bike
    VFR800

Covid -19 can kill anyone of any age although certain people are more vulnerable. The road toll is a different issue.

Incidently, Singapore and Korea are reporting a new wave of infections, some in Korea are relapses apparently.

Bike
    Now bikeless :-(
    Quote Originally Posted by slofox View Post
    May not be the place to post this, but...

According to something I read recently, about 7 million people die each year as a result of air pollution.
    During the current pandemic, with lockdowns etc and a vast drop in transport, this number will drop significantly.

If this many were to die of Covid, the entire world would be filled with weeping, wailing and the gnashing of teeth.

How come we don't react the same to air pollution deaths?
    The powers that be have villified COVID-19 and thereby made it into a common foe. Easy to do with a potentially lethal invisible threat to any human but not for the threat presented by byproducts of products that many consider essential to everyday life.

Humans are a social species and will unify readily if a threat presents itself such as a predator at the entrance to the cave our ancestors would have faced. That primal instinct has been ignited in the anti COVID-19 campaigns that many governments have initiated. To extend the analogy, dying as a result of the campfire asphyxiating the cave dwellers just doesn't present the same us vs. them opportunity so is more difficult to motivate retaliatory action against.

Bike
    VFR800
    Quote Originally Posted by Naki Rat View Post
    The powers that be have villified COVID-19 and thereby made it into a common foe. Easy to do with a potentially lethal invisible threat to any human but not for the threat presented by byproducts of products that many consider essential to everyday life.

Humans are a social species and will unify readily if a threat presents itself such as a predator at the entrance to the cave our ancestors would have faced. That primal instinct has been ignited in the anti COVID-19 campaigns that many governments have initiated. To extend the analogy, dying as a result of the campfire asphyxiating the cave dwellers just doesn't present the same us vs. them opportunity so is more difficult to motivate retaliatory action against.

It doesn't help though when there is denial of the problem ie:India's air pollution is very bad but their Environment Minister recently denied any link between it and premature death. This was despite a study showing there was.

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by Gearup View Post
    Covid -19 can kill anyone of any age although certain people are more vulnerable. The road toll is a different issue.
    Exactly the same really. Can kill anyone of any age through no fault of their own, & certain people are more vulnerable.
    I'm not sure if my earlier post was clear, the number of deaths from covid in the entire history of india to date, is almost the same number as their daily road.
    In other words you have as much chance of being killed there in a traffic accident in one day, as all covid deaths combined ever.
    I think their traffic issues are far greater than their covid ones, but meh, can't help traffic deaths ay?

Bike
    VFR800
    Exactly the same really. Can kill anyone of any age through no fault of their own, & certain people are more vulnerable.
    I'm not sure if my earlier post was clear, the number of deaths from covid in the entire history of india to date, is almost the same number as their daily road.
    In other words you have as much chance of being killed there in a traffic accident in one day, as all covid deaths combined ever.
    I think their traffic issues are far greater than their covid ones, but meh, can't help traffic deaths ay?

Well you can address the road toll problem but this is what they've been really crap at doing over there. For example only recently has something positive been done about it in the form of a National Safety Strategy etc.

The place has major issues though: Really bad drivers, drunk drivers galore, mixing slow and fast traffic to name a few.

Bike
    Twowheeled
    So what should India do? Lockdown until all the road deaths go away? First day of lockdown they have stopped so let everyone out again and people die again rinse and repeat. Covid isn't like that.

Bike
    Now bikeless :-(
    Quote Originally Posted by Gearup View Post
    It doesn't help though when there is denial of the problem ie:India's air pollution is very bad but their Environment Minister recently denied any link between it and premature death. This was despite a study showing there was.
    As per my analogy the caveman probably argued that he needed his campfire but the threat from the sabre-tooth tiger was undeniable and, more compellingly, immediate.

Bike
    motocompo
    So what should India do? Lockdown until all the road deaths go away? First day of lockdown they have stopped so let everyone out again and people die again rinse and repeat. Covid isn't like that.
    Well its killing innocent people & a precedent has been set by the dangerous plague that's killed as many people all told as car crashes do in a day, seems logical, good thinking on your part.

Thread Information