Page 35 of 162 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585135 ... LastLast

Thread: The journey that COVID-19 will take us on

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    With so many newspapers struggling this is a major concern. If there is no reporter sitting in on the local Council meetings, dirty deeds for mates will become the norm.
    Sometimes it seems the corruption is worse in small people, maybe because we notice.
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/cri...nal-misconduct.
    That said NZ is consistently one of the least corrupt countries in the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    With so many newspapers struggling this is a major concern. If there is no reporter sitting in on the local Council meetings, dirty deeds for mates will become the norm.
    But the govt NEVER lies to or defrauds its people, otherwise a conspiracy would exist ;p
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    But the govt NEVER lies to or defrauds its people, otherwise a conspiracy would exist ;p
    if you read both examples the fraud was committed by individuals.
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    if you read both examples the fraud was committed by individuals.
    Content redacted

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post

Meh, that's just the way Governments roll...
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    The Pfizer news that they have a COVID 19 vaccine that is effective on 90% of patients is good news. The US stock market thought so too.

Mike Pence tweeted as follows:
    The @WhiteHouseCoronavirus Task Force met today to discuss BIG news out of @pfizer this morning.
    Under President @realDonaldTrump, we are working at Warp Speed to deliver a Safe & Effective vaccine. This President is DELIVERING for the American People. https://pfizer.com/news/press-releas...didate-against

Which is lovely and all except that, as Pfizer were quick to point out, they were not part of Operation Warp Speed, and they had accepted no government money. Therefore no credit was due Trump or Pence. Pfizer had been operating independently of the government effort, all credit is theirs.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Broadcast on mainstream fact checked news so must be true ...

Bike
    BSA A10
    Which is lovely and all except that, as Pfizer were quick to point out, they were not part of Operation Warp Speed, and they had accepted no government money. Therefore no credit was due Trump or Pence. Pfizer had been operating independently of the government effort, all credit is theirs.
    Yeah they sort of are part of it and took 1.95 billion for advanced purchases but funded their own R & D

https://spectator.us/pfizer-warp-spe...virus-vaccine/
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    I Ride No More

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    Yeah they sort of are part of it and took 1.95 billion for advanced purchases but funded their own R & D

https://spectator.us/pfizer-warp-spe...virus-vaccine/
    That's a somewhat one eyed report. My understanding was that Pfizer US accepted no development money because a European branch of the company had come up with the vaccine originally. Pfizer say the money they will receive is for distribution.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    I Ride No More

Short Covid Vaccine Progress Summary

Bike
    Wots I gots.
    So: we're supposed to love a vaccine that inserts itself into cellular genetic material and which has been tested in very few people compared to potentially eligible billions, and that small group followed up only for 2 months after injection...

- what about longer-term auto-immune enhancement, (illness brought on by the imported virus material's interaction with other cells)?

- it has to be supercooled ~ 100 degrees below zero, from the time it is produced until a few days before it is injected, (mRNA quickly degrades at higher temperatures) yet our government can't even supply PPE at any temperature and measles vaccine at all?

"What could possibly go wrong..."

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    cut n paste

A reader recalls another pandemic, Tuberculosis, which puts COVID in perspective.
    In 2018, there were more than 10 million cases of active TB which resulted in 1.5 million deaths.[7] This makes it the number one cause of death from an infectious disease.[13] The number of new cases each year has decreased since 2000.[1] About 80% of people in many Asian and African countries test positive while 5-10% of people in the United States population test positive by the tuberculin test.[14] Tuberculosis has been present in humans since ancient times.[15] Wikipedia

Famous people who died prematurely from TB include Henry David Thoreau, D.H. Lawrence, Keats, Chopin, Vivien Leigh...

By Don

I was born in the United States in 1955. I cannot watch television or read a newspaper without seeing articles about COVID-19. It is currently in the spotlight and dominates the news. However, there have been other pandemics that claimed many more lives in the US until fairly recent times. One of them that affected my family was tuberculosis.

When I was about two-years-old I remember waving goodbye to my father as he was being driven away. I didn't know why or where to until I was older. He had tested positive for tuberculosis at his doctor in Seattle and was going back to the sanitarium in Walla Walla, WA.

Back in 1939 he had enlisted in the Coast Guard and served in WW2 guarding the waterfront in Portland, Oregon. It was there he met my mother. His role in protecting shipping from sabotage and other criminal activity was a good background for a career in law enforcement. He got married and had a daughter and eventually three sons.

He was very good at his job and quickly advanced. However, during his time in the Coast Guard, his first assignment was aboard a lightship marking the entrance to the Columbia River. Living aboard a ship in close quarters for months can put people at risk for transmittable diseases.

Years later when he developed tuberculosis it was determined he was exposed to it aboard the ship as others on the ship came down with the disease. My mother and three-year-old sister were told he was going to die. He was taken to the sanitarium in Walla Walla to live out his remaining days. Luckily he was extremely strong and they were developing new cures and drugs. I wouldn't be here otherwise.

Tuberculosis never completely goes away. Periodically he had to report to the doctor in Seattle to spit into a bottle. The bacteria lay dormant in the lungs and if he tested positive he had to go back to the sanitarium to be isolated from family and others. That happened when I was very young.

TB does more than kill an infected person. Although he survived, he was never healthy enough to return to law enforcement. Prior to his sickness he was a detective and had a goal to be a US Marshall. Instead, he found work painting boats and houses. On the freeway going towards Seattle, there is a house that my mother would point to. They had it built just before my father got sick, and had to give it up.

My father rarely touched me or my siblings. He was afraid of transmitting TB to us.

TB was no respecter of person or position. Back then a lot of people believed it was inherited and I was told my grandfather blamed my grandmother for the "Irish" disease. I recently started researching my family roots and my grandmother's family lost very many people to TB. They were young people, business owners, Catholic Priests all taken by this deadly disease.

tb-scene.jpg
    My father eventually died in 1985 from another illness. A couple of years later my mother met another man who was from Idaho and was widowed. They spent their remaining years together. As a young man, he was diagnosed with TB and went to a sanitarium. His story was very similar to my father's.

Today you rarely hear about TB. A few years ago you heard it was making a comeback in the US mainly from illegal immigrants. Worldwide it is still a major killer. Far more people die from it than COVID. It has not been eradicated.

It has wiped out many indigenous peoples worldwide. In the US and Canada, it has killed many native people. It has destroyed entire villages. But despite the facts, COVID stays in the spotlight.

I sure many people reading this have similar stories and their families have been affected as mine was. I would encourage them to tell how TB affected their families and loved ones.

Bike
    Wots I gots.
    A new study (@ Frontiers in Public Health) has concluded that "neither lockdowns nor lockdown stringency were correlated with lower death rates."

Researchers analyzed data from 160 countries over the first 8 months of the pandemic, testing several factors—including demographics, public health, economy, politics, and environment—to determine how they are correlated with COVID-19 mortality.

“Stringency of the measures settled to fight pandemia, including lockdown, did not appear to be linked with death rate,” the researchers said.

The researchers found that the criteria most associated with a high death rate was life expectancy.

No sheeeeit, Sherlock. Who'd have thunk it / sarc. I.e. same as the year-on-year flu, definitely one of the nastier years' flu-types, but entirely not unprecedented.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by RDJ View Post
    A new study (@ Frontiers in Public Health) has concluded that "neither lockdowns nor lockdown stringency were correlated with lower death rates."

Researchers analyzed data from 160 countries over the first 8 months of the pandemic, testing several factors—including demographics, public health, economy, politics, and environment—to determine how they are correlated with COVID-19 mortality.

“Stringency of the measures settled to fight pandemia, including lockdown, did not appear to be linked with death rate,” the researchers said.

The researchers found that the criteria most associated with a high death rate was life expectancy.

No sheeeeit, Sherlock. Who'd have thunk it / sarc. I.e. same as the year-on-year flu, definitely one of the nastier years' flu-types, but entirely not unprecedented.
    Yeah for a guy that refers to themselves as being a medical professional this is some pretty petty and easy to dismiss shit.
    Trying to corollate the death rate with strategies to minimise amounts of cases or the total deaths.
    Rather than the deaths per case or the number of cases or total deaths is rather funny.

Most smart people would realise the idea of lockdowns was to slow to stop the transmission of the disease not really to make it less deadly per case, although a lot died in places where the health system was clearly overrun.

That's almost like trump trying to say they had more cases as they just tested more.
    Maybe you would be best stick to just pasting National party press releases like the old days
    I reminder distinctly .

Thread Information