Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Licence, WoF and CoF expiry during Covid

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    Easter last year I headed out on Thursday afternoon after work, went to Whakatane, then on to Gisborne the next day via East Coast Lighthouse, then home again on the Saturday.

This year the weather was great on the Friday and Saturday. I stayed home and watched TV (got through 4 seasons of Letterkenny - funny as fuck, https://youtu.be/raeE8Amt8s8). No bike riding this year, was a shame to waste the great weather.

Can't see them rebating any rego though.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable
    "If the cops didn't see it, I didn't do it!"
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by FLUB View Post
    Not free. When you rego after the up to 6 month DELAY, the rego starts from the date your last one expired. So if your delay was 5 months and you bought 6 months, you'd only have 1 month left. They are giving us nothing.

Sent from my CMR-W09 using Tapatalk
    You can put it on hold when it expires.

Bike
    1969 Honda S90
    Can someone help me out here-my good lady told me she heard a report a while back that stated something like if you got a WoF back in January it was still legal up to November (or something)-I ask as my ute rego falls due later this month along with my WoF-Can I register it without a WoF by using the old WoF details?-I tried to pull up the link that Rasta posted originally,but this has been withdrawn.

Bike
    2005 Z750S
    https://www.nzta.govt.nz/about-us/co...ry-extensions/

"To help smooth the transition back to compliance, the following documents are temporarily extended:

WoFs and CoFs, driver licences that expired on or after 1 January 2020. ..."

"New expiry dates
    Once we start adjusting back to business as normal, new expiry dates will be set for these documents, which could extend up until 10 October 2020. We will let you know as we set these dates and will ensure you have plenty of time to get your documents compliant. Please check that we have your correct contact details – you can do this on our website."

Not particularly useful.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Bike
    1969 Honda S90
    Thanks mate-at least the link worked this time-As you say,not very helpful-Guess I should contact NZTA and see what they say.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    You do have to read it 2 or 3 times before it makes sense.

Basically, if your WoF expired after 1 January this year, you have until 10 October to renew it, but you must ensure your vehicle is safe.

Same with rego, but you can still renew it if your WoF has expired. You will have to pay for the entire period the vehicle was unlicensed if you leave it unpaid.

You will not be ticketed for an expired WoF or rego until 10 October. Auckland Council expect to lose millions because they can't issue tickets.

Bike
    1969 Honda S90
    Thanks again SR-I double checked with NZTA and yep,that info is correct-The lady tells me they have been inundated with calls about the document and admits it could have been done much better.

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    OK, at the moment my rear tyre is looking a bit close to the limit. So if I were to remove the rear wheel and throw it in the boot of the car and pop down to the bike shop so they can fit a new tyre - let's say some time in the next couple of weeks or so. Then I'm all good, no need to worry about my WoF that shows an expiring date on the first week of March? I should just leave the WoF to late Sept/early Oct?
    I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    As many as I can get away with
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkH View Post
    OK, at the moment my rear tyre is looking a bit close to the limit. So if I were to remove the rear wheel and throw it in the boot of the car and pop down to the bike shop so they can fit a new tyre - let's say some time in the next couple of weeks or so. Then I'm all good, no need to worry about my WoF that shows an expiring date on the first week of March? I should just leave the WoF to late Sept/early Oct?
    Might want to check with your insurance company (assuming you've got insurance) to see if they'll honour the policy if it doesn't have a WOF. The mongrels will take any excuse not to pay out in the case of an accident.

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    What's wrong with people? It's not rocket science...

If your WoF expired before, let's say, 22nd March 2020 then you should have had your vehicle checked and either had a new WoF issued or had repairs done so the vehicle was roadworthy at that time. If your WoF expired during Level 4 or Level 3 then you would have had to wait until garages and testing stations opened again which was during level 2 and then gone and got your vehicle tested. So if you're still running about in a vehicle with an expired WoF it's about time you got yourself organised and got a booking so it can be checked.

As for renewing your vehicle's licence [rego for those who have difficulty with the concept of licence vs license], it can be done online and was able to be done during lockdown, which is what I did for my bike's licence which expired 8th April.

NZTA may not have worded the document as well as it could have been. However, reading it and using common sense it is easy to work out what you need to do. IMO NZTA have been very generous with allowing people such a time frame as they have. NZTA should have said, "while at Level 4 and 3 WoFs will remain valid but once we move to level 2 and testing facilities open then you'll have 6 weeks from the date of moving to level 2 to get your WoF sorted."

If your WoFs expired, go and get it sorted...

Off to find and take several of my "be kind to people" pills.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by Moi View Post

If your WoF expired before, let's say, 22nd March 2020 then you should have had your vehicle checked and either had a new WoF issued or had repairs done so the vehicle was roadworthy at that time. If your WoF expired during Level 4 or Level 3 then you would have had to wait until garages and testing stations opened again which was during level 2 and then gone and got your vehicle tested. So if you're still running about in a vehicle with an expired WoF it's about time you got yourself organised and got a booking so it can be checked.

As for renewing your vehicle's licence [rego for those who have difficulty with the concept of licence vs license], it can be done online and was able to be done during lockdown, which is what I did for my bike's licence which expired 8th April.

NZTA may not have worded the document as well as it could have been. However, reading it and using common sense it is easy to work out what you need to do. IMO NZTA have been very generous with allowing people such a time frame as they have. NZTA should have said, "while at Level 4 and 3 WoFs will remain valid but once we move to level 2 and testing facilities open then you'll have 6 weeks from the date of moving to level 2 to get your WoF sorted."

What's wrong with people? I tell ya, that's a list that's too long for modern technology to fully record.

On this particular topic, what's wrong with people is wanting to kick the arse out of a situation, so interpreting a statement in a way that suits their outcome.

One example was when the government said we shouldn't drive to another suburb to get to a supermarket, when there is a local one we can use. I read a statement by some tosser who said that it didn't apply to him, as he "rides" a motorcycle, he doesn't "drive" it.

The only constant is stupidity.

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    Quote Originally Posted by swarfie View Post
    Might want to check with your insurance company (assuming you've got insurance) to see if they'll honour the policy if it doesn't have a WOF. The mongrels will take any excuse not to pay out in the case of an accident.
    I'm pretty sure that it isn't legal for an insurance company to refuse to pay out due to a lack of WoF, though they could refuse to pay out if you are operating a vehicle while knowing that it isn't safe to do so.
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    NZTA should have said, "while at Level 4 and 3 WoFs will remain valid but once we move to level 2 and testing facilities open then you'll have 6 weeks from the date of moving to level 2 to get your WoF sorted."
    Ah yes, but they didn't say that did they.

My issue is that I don't see the point of paying to have someone else inspect my bike when I've already done that. I believe in being safe rather than paying to have an sticker that doesn't improve my safety in the least. I'm happy to pay hundreds for the new tyre that my bike needs, but I'd prefer to delay the WoF if it is legal for me to do so. For rego there isn't much to be gained, you get a year from when the old one expired rather than a year from when you pay for the new one. For the WoF it is a year from when you get it done, so there is a real benefit from delaying it.

In the past I've delayed the WoF when I haven't been using the bike, because it doesn't need a WoF to sit in the garage. Naturally I ensured I sorted the WoF in time for my next trip.

My current plan is to wait until the alert level drops and then pop in to the bike shop and order a tyre. I know I could do it today, but why fuck about worrying about social distancing and shit.
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1

Well, that may seem perfectly sensible to you, but it's not the current situation.

I can't remember exact dates, but NZ was in Levels 3 & 4 for about 8 weeks, which means that's about the backlog of expired WoF's.

No doubt there are people who went to get a WoF ASAP after Level 3 and there will those who leave it until October. I wouldn't rush to renew it if you're confident your vehicle is safe, but don't leave it too late.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    You do have to read it 2 or 3 times before it makes sense.

Basically, if your WoF expired after 1 January this year, you have until 10 October to renew it, but you must ensure your vehicle is safe.

Same with rego, but you can still renew it if your WoF has expired. You will have to pay for the entire period the vehicle was unlicensed if you leave it unpaid.

You will not be ticketed for an expired WoF or rego until 10 October. Auckland Council expect to lose millions because they can't issue tickets.
    There is a clause in legislation and also mentioned when the WOF/ rego extensions were announced during lockdown ... regardless of when or if the WOF expires ... the vehicle MUST be up to WOF standard at all times. If it is not, it must not be driven/ridden on the road until it is repaired.

And you can be issued an infringement notice for "Vehicle not up to WOF standard". ($150 I think)
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Thread Information