Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Royal Enfield Single

Bike
    Eeyore

Royal Enfield Single

After a few years with out a bike due to health I'm now thinking about something just to putter around the back roads. Seriously thinking of something like the RE Classic 350 as I'm not interested in things like fastest to the ton ( the classic would have no trouble achieving this). So any KB members got an Enfield either 350 or 500 that they could give some info on specially the latest models?.
    If it rains on your parade, use the umbrella of eternal optimism

Bike
    06 scrambler,xrl,
    Blog Entries
    Not certain a 350 will get to the ton, (down hill with a strong tail wind), but I spent a fair bit of time on a 500 years back, and it is very suitable for pootling around the back roads on. I would suggest riding the 500 too.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    The 350 is gutless. Slower than my '77 CJ250 Honda Go for the 500.

Bike
    CT110 Super Cub - postie bike
    A guy on my delivery run has got one. Not sure what size but he's always got a big smile on his face when I see him riding around.
    Grow older but never grow up

Bike
    Old Bikes
    It’s a power to weight thing. Also a road conditions thing.

You’re in Otago somewhere so you will have hills, and cop some headwinds. That’s no fun on a small bike with no aerodynamics and an upright riding position.

Go the 500 as a minimum unless you’re a short lightweight rider, no pillion or luggage.

The 350 is priced nicely but it comes with some practical limitations.

For the price of a new 350 you could probably get a vintage 350 which would have reasonable torque, be cheaper to rego ( by about $400 p.a.) and be easier to work on. It would come with the same limitations, especially top speed but would pootle extremely well.
    Ginge

Bike
    Eeyore
    Well the 500 is no more so I guess the ones in NZ now will be it. According to the RE website theres a limited edition to mark the end. Just the 350 and the twin road bikes. Not suprised as especially here in NZ the 500 and the Twin were to close in price and sensible people would pick the twin, more for your money. Interesting to see what happens to the pricing if they come down after the virus I'd certainly look seriously but like I said to dear at moment for what you get.

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    What about the 400(?) Himalaya or is that gone too? There a really good Youtube channel of one being ridden all through Asia to Europe and then down and up South America (as far as Peru, where the rider was evacuated back to Holland due to covid lockdown). Look for Itchy Boots on YouTube
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Eeyore
    Himalyans still in line up but I prefer the retro look.One of the shops has a custom one they made which I like the gear they added but about $2000 dearer than stock.

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    A work colleague owned the 500 a few years back - It's the one to go for over the 350 from what he reckoned. He enjoyed it but ended up selling for a secondhand air cooled Hinckley Bonnie instead.

The 350 Rumbler may be worth a look if you're still keen on the 350 too.

Bike
    Exercycle
    If you go for a secondhand of whatever size, find out what's been done to it before buying.

Some years back, I had a 500 through the workshop. Indian market bike, bought by a kiwi in India, ridden round then shipped home.
    It was relatively low mileage - but it was very tired indeed in the motor. Everything was available so it got done.
    Then it became apparent the biggest problem was the OE points ignition. The points cam shaft runs in a bronze bush lubricated by optimism - and the blessings of Shiva...
    There may have also been a small amount of chicken fat there too.
    As the bush wore, the points gap - and the timing - changed.
    I fitted a pertronix points replacement module. The shaft could wobble around without changing the timing.
    Made a huge difference.

BUT - I also had an early 50's Norton ES2 here at the same time. The ES2 was as fast in 3rd as the Enfield was flat out in top....

Bike
    VFR800
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    If you go for a secondhand of whatever size, find out what's been done to it before buying.

Some years back, I had a 500 through the workshop. Indian market bike, bought by a kiwi in India, ridden round then shipped home.
    It was relatively low mileage - but it was very tired indeed in the motor. Everything was available so it got done.
    Then it became apparent the biggest problem was the OE points ignition. The points cam shaft runs in a bronze bush lubricated by optimism - and the blessings of Shiva...
    There may have also been a small amount of chicken fat there too.
    As the bush wore, the points gap - and the timing - changed.
    I fitted a pertronix points replacement module. The shaft could wobble around without changing the timing.
    Made a huge difference.

BUT - I also had an early 50's Norton ES2 here at the same time. The ES2 was as fast in 3rd as the Enfield was flat out in top....

Apart from this instance, what do you think of them in terms of build, reliability etc Grumph?

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Motig View Post
    Seriously thinking of something like the RE Classic 350 as I'm not interested in things like fastest to the ton ( the classic would have no trouble achieving this).
    Have followed the thread with interest. Not sure if I've misread the above though. My 1954 AJS 350 was capable of either 74 or 76mph according to the contemporary road test. (It was a long time ago.) At that speed I'd suspect the well worn euphemistic phrase "some vibration was apparent" became relevant.

To get over 80mph you needed a 500, but most 500 singles still didn't get much over 80. Nowhere near a "ton".

Although made new in 2020 the Royal Enfield 350s are still basically 1950s technology. You can't compare their performance to modern singles like KTM f'rinstance.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Honestly if you are looking at that, buy a Yamaha SR400. Particularly if you want to go VERY SLOWLY INDEED. I bought one a couple years back thinking, Yes, this is the thing to give me the retro experience, single cylinder blah blah. Sold it still not really run in after two months because the stark reality is 23 hp is insufficient even in a commuter. getting dragged off by a fat bitch in a shitty old Ford Flacoon was the final straw. Yes I do have a tiny penis, but thats not relevant right now. SR is a good bike, thee are a myriad of aftermarket parts and you will pick up a second hand one for under 6 large. At least take one for a strop.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/mot...53ed7d464d-004

Tell him $4500 cash (tank dent and it will cost you 5 hundy to get it to you from Orkers (biketranz).
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    Honestly if you are looking at that, buy a Yamaha SR400. Particularly if you want to go VERY SLOWLY INDEED. I bought one a couple years back thinking, Yes, this is the thing to give me the retro experience, single cylinder blah blah. Sold it still not really run in after two months because the stark reality is 23 hp is insufficient even in a commuter. getting dragged off by a fat bitch in a shitty old Ford Flacoon was the final straw. Yes I do have a tiny penis, but thats not relevant right now. SR is a good bike, thee are a myriad of aftermarket parts and you will pick up a second hand one for under 6 large. At least take one for a strop.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/mot...53ed7d464d-004

Tell him $4500 cash (tank dent and it will cost you 5 hundy to get it to you from Orkers (biketranz).
    Had a woman who turned up for a course with one of those. Her husband rode it to the venue, she had no idea how to start it. Kickstart only.

The engineers had put a wee window on the cam cover, so the rider could see top dead centre for the purpose of kick starting. Trouble is, the wee window was so small, she had to bend down to see it, andvthen couldn't get a decent kick on the kick starter. I put a bit of tape over the window, and told her to feel for TDC.

I kind of liked the SR, but they aren't for everyone. Kick starting is a lost art.

Bike
    Eeyore
    Also see another rumour from India that the 350 will be replaced by a 400 putting out power similar to the 500. There is a 500 I like but cant (yet) justify the extra $4000 over a 350. Off course they could just do the 350 for the nostalgia market (me?) and make the 400 modern, they do seem to have some nice modern competition in their home market. Yes the Yamahas a nice wee bike but hips rule out kickstart only. GB 400/500 I've always liked but their getting a bit long in the tooth now I feel.

Thread Information