Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Royal Enfield Single

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post

I kind of liked the SR, but they aren't for everyone. Kick starting is a lost art.
    I never had an issue getting it started but maybe the synaptic memory from learning to ride on a kick only bike. And trying to start a mates XT500 back in the day... the SR was a piece of piss by comparison.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by Motig View Post
    Also see another rumour from India that the 350 will be replaced by a 400 putting out power similar to the 500. There is a 500 I like but cant (yet) justify the extra $4000 over a 350. Off course they could just do the 350 for the nostalgia market (me?) and make the 400 modern, they do seem to have some nice modern competition in their home market. Yes the Yamahas a nice wee bike but hips rule out kickstart only. GB 400/500 I've always liked but their getting a bit long in the tooth now I feel.
    I dont know why but I thought the RE singles were kick only too.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    I'd run a GB400 for nearly ten years and it served me well - light weight, easy to manage, very easy to maintain. Enough power rather than anything exciting, a bit limited on the open road. Definitely getting a bit tatty by the time I finally sold it, roughly six (eight?) years ago, there might still be a few minters around but you'll pay silly money for what they are.

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by Gearup View Post
    Apart from this instance, what do you think of them in terms of build, reliability etc Grumph?
    The castings and metallurgy of the home market 500 weren't up to 50's Enfield originals. We replaced rings and valves with export quality bits.
    There was a head gasket problem which was a mismatched machining error which got fixed too.
    I'm told the later ones are better - as tooling wears they're making stuff on better gear.

If you want a good single, it's hard to go past the GB500. Yes, they're getting old but the bits are available.
    A mate's got one I did the ignition trigger gap mod on and I could happily live with that.

The mod should be well known to people on here - I've mentioned it before.
    Close up the air gap - trigger to rotor - to about .015in. Riding afterwards I'd say it feels like aniother 5HP at the wheel.

Bike
    Eeyore
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    I dont know why but I thought the RE singles were kick only too.
    Electric as well now days. By the way pritch the 100 mph for the 350 was tongue in cheek.
    If it rains on your parade, use the umbrella of eternal optimism

Bike
    VFR800
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    The castings and metallurgy of the home market 500 weren't up to 50's Enfield originals. We replaced rings and valves with export quality bits.
    There was a head gasket problem which was a mismatched machining error which got fixed too.
    I'm told the later ones are better - as tooling wears they're making stuff on better gear.

If you want a good single, it's hard to go past the GB500. Yes, they're getting old but the bits are available.
    A mate's got one I did the ignition trigger gap mod on and I could happily live with that.

The mod should be well known to people on here - I've mentioned it before.
    Close up the air gap - trigger to rotor - to about .015in. Riding afterwards I'd say it feels like aniother 5HP at the wheel.

Thanks for the info. 5HP is a good increase too.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Electric as well now days. By the way pritch the 100 mph for the 350 was tongue in cheek.
    Thrown out of a helicopter from a great height is the only way that'll happen.

Bike
    Eeyore
    Just for interest brought the 500 Trials model which is pretty much the Classic with a different exhaust. As I hate cold only been for a couple of rides but I'm pretty happy.
    If it rains on your parade, use the umbrella of eternal optimism

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Just for interest brought the 500 Trials model which is pretty much the Classic with a different exhaust. As I hate cold only been for a couple of rides but I'm pretty happy.

Good one, keep us informed how it went, any negatives etc.
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Apparently pritch rides around everywhere at 170kph according to him.

Thread Information