Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Essential travel road trip

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1

Essential travel road trip

Driving from Christchurch Airport to Southland tomorrow. Any options for food, drink and toilets other than petrol stations?

Bike
    It was on the good
    Not really unless you want to cook your own penguin.

You'd be best off stopping at New World somewhere and getting a sandwich, a cream cake, a pack of Tim Tams and a bottle of wine. All the petrol stations I have been in have stopped selling hot food.

For toilet stops there is always Oamaru.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    That was a very weird day. I did like the new A321 Air NZ flew us on with free WiFi, and the rental car fairy managed a Camry Hybrid. They've come a long way since I last drove one - it's like driving an EV with a generator instead of a battery and no range anxiety.

Once clear of Christchurch, there was no traffic except for milk tankers and the occasional truck. Very tempting to take liberties with the speed limit, but I don't know where the speed cameras are down here.

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    That was a very weird day. I did like the new A321 Air NZ flew us on with free WiFi, and the rental car fairy managed a Camry Hybrid. They've come a long way since I last drove one - it's like driving an EV with a generator instead of a battery and no range anxiety.

Once clear of Christchurch, there was no traffic except for milk tankers and the occasional truck. Very tempting to take liberties with the speed limit, but I don't know where the speed cameras are down here.
    The Camry Hybrid is a strange animal aye? We try to grab one of them when we fly in for a job, and the latest model gets an unreal range from a tank, if driven with a bit of finesse. Would never describe them as a driver's car, too heavy and the steering is a bit dead, but the toy car routine of hopping in and creeping away from the motel in the early hours in EV mode is funny

Heck A320/1 is much nicer than an ATR any day

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    I am still in the South Island and have done about 1400 km in the Camry. I filled up with a quarter of the tank left and it has only just dropped below half again.

Driving is good without traffic - I've been through the Lindis Pass twice. The Camry is on Michelins and corners quite well up to a point.

Food and toilets are the worst part. No public toilets are open, but petrol stations will let you use theirs if you ask nicely. Not much food except pies. I even made sandwiches one day.

Bike
    suzuki
    I am still in the South Island and have done about 1400 km in the Camry. I filled up with a quarter of the tank left and it has only just dropped below half again.

Driving is good without traffic - I've been through the Lindis Pass twice. The Camry is on Michelins and corners quite well up to a point.

Food and toilets are the worst part. No public toilets are open, but petrol stations will let you use theirs if you ask nicely. Not much food except pies. I even made sandwiches one day.
    what is wrong with the supermarket food, haven't been in one since lockdown but surely their shit is ok and at enough places to feed one well?

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    what is wrong with the supermarket food, haven't been in one since lockdown but surely their shit is ok and at enough places to feed one well?
    I've tried to get lunch at the New World in Alex a couple of times but there were long queues.

Bike
    600 Bandit
    Driving from Christchurch Airport to Southland tomorrow. Any options for food, drink and toilets other than petrol stations?

Hey buddy, Have you seen many police during your trip? what are the chances someone riding a motorcycle would get pulled over and checked?

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottbnz View Post
    Hey buddy, Have you seen many police during your trip? what are the chances someone riding a motorcycle would get pulled over and checked?
    Better than average

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    I would think the question is more, how many times will I get pulled over?
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    I've seen a number of cops and not one motorbike. Don't even think about it.

Bike
    16' xtz125e super-adventure, Ninja 650
    Blog Entries
    I commute almost daily on my fireblade over the last month, only got stopped ONCE, last friday, at a checkpoint, in my car, on the way home from work at 2pm... go figure?

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    There is so little non-commercial traffic down here. I'm in a white Toyota which is obviously a rental and essential. Otherwise it's trucks, utes and tractors.
    Honestly, not one motorbike in 1400 km once out of town except farm quads.
    Cyclists of course are another story. As we all know rules don't apply to them.

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    There has been a marked increase in the number of patrol cars down here in Blenheim. I've been commuting to the local Air Base and have passed cop cars on nearly all my journeys. I haven't been stopped yet though I of course have my trusty Defence ID Card poised and at the ready should they decide to do so.

Still - I guess it's like most things. Don't extract the urine and you'll be OK. I believe that there have been roadblocks on SH1 going North to Picton and also along SH63 heading West to Lake Rotoiti so you're fairly restricted in where you can head to anyway were you to try.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Cyclists of course are another story. As we all know rules don't apply to them.
    The problem is tossers.

Some tossers ride bicycles, some ride motorbikes, some drive cars. The problem is not the bicycle, it's tossers.

Given that there are similarities in the risks of cycling and motorcycling, I don't get why we can't just let this grudge match settle.

And yes, when I'm out cycling, I'm still paying ACC levies via the vehicle licencing on my two motorcycles and car.

Thread Information