Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Adventure Bikes - KTM 990 Adventure vs 690 enduro - your experience please.

Bike
    KTM
    I currently own both bikes mentioned

The 990 is a beast. Amazing fun on road even with TKC80's / Mitas E07/09's etc. Can run two up without a worry, loaded with luggage etc no problem.

Off road, solo with light gear, it is as capable as the rider. Personally for me I have the most fun in fast gravel, but anything sandy, muddy or, say, an uphill with large ruts where you really have to commit at pace, is a big ask on a 220+ kg bike. I haven't really crashed off road having managed to somehow save most whoopsies but fuck it wouldn't be fun getting stuck under that thing.

The 690 on road is pretty punchy, fast up to 120 then sorta peters out. I would not want to take a pillion very far, and I am personally spending a lot of time thinking about the lightest / best priced option for minimalist camping gear etc to keep the weight down. It really is a solo weapon. I have put on a rally fairing to help with the wind at motorway speeds which helps significantly.

Off road, limited experience so far, but have taken it thru to Sutherlands Hut and Munkgatooks -> Karapoti so have a little idea. It's basically cheating compared to the 990. It really is just so easy to ride that thing in slippery, loose slow stuff it's like the doom god mode cheat has been enabled.

If you're getting a 990 though you'll need to take into account stuff like the waterpump issue and probably be a bit more involved mechanically than the 690. If you do get a 690 there are a few obvious problem areas (wiring around headlight and under battery) which you can fix yourself with a few hours work and some heatshrink / cable ties. Rocker arms at 10,000km as well I think?

Both bikes take ~$60 filter sets and I try for 5000km changes or after a particularly fun multi-day ride. Super easy to change.

1x OIL FILTER SERVICE KIT – 00050000065 – $58.39

If you want to get into the tricky stuff without having to trailer up your dirt bikes (or in the south island etc) the 690, if you are a competent off road rider it'll go anywhere.
    If you want to travel with the kid or wife and also take on public gravel roads at pace then the 990 with decent knobs and a set of soft panniers.

Bike
    2017 Husqvarana FS701
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Sichoe View Post
    I currently own both bikes mentioned

The 990 is a beast. Amazing fun on road even with TKC80's / Mitas E07/09's etc. Can run two up without a worry, loaded with luggage etc no problem.

Off road, solo with light gear, it is as capable as the rider. Personally for me I have the most fun in fast gravel, but anything sandy, muddy or, say, an uphill with large ruts where you really have to commit at pace, is a big ask on a 220+ kg bike. I haven't really crashed off road having managed to somehow save most whoopsies but fuck it wouldn't be fun getting stuck under that thing.

The 690 on road is pretty punchy, fast up to 120 then sorta peters out. I would not want to take a pillion very far, and I am personally spending a lot of time thinking about the lightest / best priced option for minimalist camping gear etc to keep the weight down. It really is a solo weapon. I have put on a rally fairing to help with the wind at motorway speeds which helps significantly.

Off road, limited experience so far, but have taken it thru to Sutherlands Hut and Munkgatooks -> Karapoti so have a little idea. It's basically cheating compared to the 990. It really is just so easy to ride that thing in slippery, loose slow stuff it's like the doom god mode cheat has been enabled.

If you're getting a 990 though you'll need to take into account stuff like the waterpump issue and probably be a bit more involved mechanically than the 690. If you do get a 690 there are a few obvious problem areas (wiring around headlight and under battery) which you can fix yourself with a few hours work and some heatshrink / cable ties. Rocker arms at 10,000km as well I think?

Both bikes take ~$60 filter sets and I try for 5000km changes or after a particularly fun multi-day ride. Super easy to change.

1x OIL FILTER SERVICE KIT – 00050000065 – $58.39

If you want to get into the tricky stuff without having to trailer up your dirt bikes (or in the south island etc) the 690, if you are a competent off road rider it'll go anywhere.
    If you want to travel with the kid or wife and also take on public gravel roads at pace then the 990 with decent knobs and a set of soft panniers.
    Fantastic feedback - thanks!
    Nail your colours to the mast that all may look upon them and know who you are.
    It takes a big man to cry...and an even bigger man to laugh at that man.

Bike
    It was on the good
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    What are others thoughts on this?
    So did you get the 690R?

Thread Information