Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Touring - but with pillions

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Wifey has banned us from riding with the U's, she rides her own bike and is sick and tried of being lost, doing, 20K's ph one second and 160 the next, had riders simply stop dead in front of her, etc etc,
    I;ve never had a run with them without some sort of misshap, sad to say.
    Turning a bit older next month, have had the membership application for them for over 15 yrs now, still can't bring myself to fill it in.
    The concept is good, most of their admin and general membership are good-great, but there are too many with a point to prove, still.
    The FBMC welcomes anyone who feels they like pies and riding, regardless of fat content, our only advice to riders is as already mentioned above, "ride your own ride".
    Course we have a ride leader and a TEC and on overnighters we also have a support vehicle.
    Charity rides are a thing of the past for us, when we first started going to Ak's charity rides the Toy Run meet up at Western Springs, wifey was my pillion then, we parked up next to a beautiful Trumpy and then had an Hardly Davis pull up on the other side, thought we were in for it, cause the Trumpy was a patched up Mungy and the Davis was a BP, they acknowledged each other, took their stuffed (Huge they were) toys off their bikes and walked to the meet point together, they rode in front and behind us and made sure we didn't get collected by any of the 3-4 Thousand bikes that had attended. Seriosuly, we had a ball, those guys were bloody amazing, never saw either of them again though.
    Now days the Helicopter Rescue ride, the Cambridge Christmas ride, the South Ak Sally's run, the The AK toy run and numerous other charity runs are just getting smaller and smaller and the riders are not there for the event, just the excuse to ride like idiots, seen too many crashes involving inocent riders taken out by fools, who even after having caused grief, simply pick up their bikes and continue riding like arseholes.
    So, no more group rides, cept'n of course those that involve long time bike riding buddies,the FBMC,(Fat Bikers Motorcycle Club) the BFTP (Blast From The Past) and the group that get out and makes life difficult for those Govt officials who want to get rid of bikes from our roads.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    2013 Triumph Trophy TTSE
    [QUOTE=Laava;1131160286]
    Quote Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
    Charity rides are the worst tho. All charity rides are organised like that and there is reasons but it is a pain in the arse and I avoid them for that reason. The Far North branch tells the riders every time at the get go, ride your own ride. And that is as it should be.
    But I don,t go 2up with others, just me and the wife. Cos we stop and do walks and things or visit mates and it gives us flexibility.
    I have been a past member of the BMWOR and a few years back had a lead rider who was very accommodating to those of us with pillions. He kept the speeds legal and was sympathetic to the needs of our pillions needing stretch and potty stops that didn't involve trees and bushes. Our girls appreciated that but with him moving on speeds increased, stops were shorter and the fun of a family group waned. Don't get me wrong, there was still fun aplenty for the solos but "mum" enjoyed it less and her fellow ladies drifted off. I take on board everyone's great comments and advice and will touch base with the clubs spoken of and check out their culture.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    My experience with charity rides is similar to others here. The first one, an Easter egg run, was a real eye opener. I did one more, a Christmas toy run, and that was enough.

The local Ulysses group gained a couple of relatively inexperienced riders and catered to them which was entirely reasonable, but the pace didn't suit me so...

The Honda Riders Club used to do a South Island tour every year, you didn't need to ride a Honda, they were excellently organised and had a sag wagon.
    Sadly missed.

Others have been organised by one or other of the local bike shops. Organisation was ummm flexible(?). Basically you found someone who wanted to run at the same speed as you and away you went.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    VFR800
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    My experience with charity rides is similar to others here. The first one, an Easter egg run, was a real eye opener. I did one more, a Christmas toy run, and that was enough.

The local Ulysses group gained a couple of relatively inexperienced riders and catered to them which was entirely reasonable, but the pace didn't suit me so...

The Honda Riders Club used to do a South Island tour every year, you didn't need to ride a Honda, they were excellently organised and had a sag wagon.
    Sadly missed.

Others have been organised by one or other of the local bike shops. Organisation was ummm flexible(?). Basically you found someone who wanted to run at the same speed as you and away you went.

It usually boils down to people en masse = crazy things happening, just like some of the drama that goes on in threads on here.

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    Lols! My first experience was the Kamo xmas parade, about 12yrs ago in which one of the local bikie clubs organised a ride through at the front of the parade followed by a toy run to Whangarei Base Hospital which is probably about 10km, part of which is on the 70kmh bypass, the rest is all 50kmh zone. So we start off, no helmets and ride through Kamo, clutches in and revving the fuck out of our bikes until we get thru to the residential area. I stopped and put my helmet on as did most of the people on jappas. Then off we go, down to the pypass where the cops had blocked the intersection for us to go through, down past kensington stadium and most people are doing about 80 in the 59 zone. Then onto the bypass where it is 70kmh. I made a token effort and was doing about 100kmh but everyone was passing me like I was standing still. One of the organising bikies went past me helmetless and I would say he was doing a minimum 160k's. On it went till we got to the hospital where another huge racket was made pulling up and parking right outside the main entrance. I didn't bother going again.
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    2012 Suzuki Boulevard M50
    I had a bad experience with Ulysses as well. Rode with them for about a year and a half, but a number of things made me cancel my membership and return my 60 year badge.

My wife, who didn't ride or pillion at that stage, found the women members very aggressive, if you don't ride we don't want you around even for a cup of coffee before the ride.

On a charity ride on my 250 cc learner bike, I stopped at a stop sign and got run over from behind by a Honda Valkyrie rider who hadn't thought that I'd actually stop.

Finally, I changed up from my 250 cc learner bike to an 800 cc Suzuki Boulevard M50. On my first ride on my new bike with a small group I was subjected to a ten minute tirade by a sports bike rider on why did I buy that piece of shite, his bike had the braking system of a racing bike and my bike only had a single front disc (this in front of a couple of Harley riders who's bikes both had only one front disc). No-one spoke out, they just let him rant on. Thoroughly unenjoyable experience.

There are some good people in Ulysses though, but I feel that there's a disproportionate amount of dickheads. I started riding on my own after that, and when we moved to central Queensland my wife started riding on the back.

Best of luck finding a group you're happy with.
    There are two songs, "Stairway to Heaven" and "Highway to Hell" which I think give an indication of expected traffic flow

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Steve View Post
    I had a bad experience with Ulysses as well. Rode with them for about a year and a half, but a number of things made me cancel my membership and return my 60 year badge.

My wife, who didn't ride or pillion at that stage, found the women members very aggressive, if you don't ride we don't want you around even for a cup of coffee before the ride.

On a charity ride on my 250 cc learner bike, I stopped at a stop sign and got run over from behind by a Honda Valkyrie rider who hadn't thought that I'd actually stop.

Finally, I changed up from my 250 cc learner bike to an 800 cc Suzuki Boulevard M50. On my first ride on my new bike with a small group I was subjected to a ten minute tirade by a sports bike rider on why did I buy that piece of shite, his bike had the braking system of a racing bike and my bike only had a single front disc (this in front of a couple of Harley riders who's bikes both had only one front disc). No-one spoke out, they just let him rant on. Thoroughly unenjoyable experience.

There are some good people in Ulysses though, but I feel that there's a disproportionate amount of dickheads. I started riding on my own after that, and when we moved to central Queensland my wife started riding on the back.

Best of luck finding a group you're happy with.
    which branch were you riding with, out of interest?
    The guy ranting about the brakes, sounds like kiwibiker!
    To reiterate though the group riding thing is not the issue, it is when you are riding in a mob or a "swarm" if you like.
    Touring with a group is very different again and not my thing. I still ride with the far north Ulysses occasionally and have no problem with them. But we string out a bit and every week it is a different ride...
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Thread Information