Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mass dampers reduce highsides by 90%?

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    I'd got as far as the bit where he said Don't skip forward in flashing lights, and I though; now there's s good idea, finally. I skipped forward a couple of times and he was still talking and showing something about adding unsprung weight right at the far end of a swingarm.
    Skipping forward was a great idea.
    The problem with it is that they can only be tuned for one frequency.
    The demonstration with the electric motor with the weight & spring wouldn't be so impressive if you flicked the switch off & on randomly, which would more accurately represent the movement of suspension.

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    The problem with it is that they can only be tuned for one frequency.
    The demonstration with the electric motor with the weight & spring wouldn't be so impressive if you flicked the switch off & on randomly, which would more accurately represent the movement of suspension.
    That was exactly what I thought. It reminded me of the Kango upright foot type compactors. You start them up and then whack the throttle open full and off you go. They are powerful and absolutely smash the ground down, although a bit horrible to use. We always used to tell the noobies, for a laugh, not to give it so much throttle. At half throttle the thing becomes a 100kg pogoing death dance!
    But that device is especially for when you are absolutely at the edge of performance where it all is on a knife edge, breaking traction, suspension barely coping and everything flexing to it's limit. At this point it is calming everything down and seemed to have a pretty positive effect. Pretty much an ornament the rest of the time then?
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    That was exactly what I thought. It reminded me of the Kango upright foot type compactors. You start them up and then whack the throttle open full and off you go. They are powerful and absolutely smash the ground down, although a bit horrible to use. We always used to tell the noobies, for a laugh, not to give it so much throttle. At half throttle the thing becomes a 100kg pogoing death dance!
    But that device is especially for when you are absolutely at the edge of performance where it all is on a knife edge, breaking traction, suspension barely coping and everything flexing to it's limit. At this point it is calming everything down and seemed to have a pretty positive effect. Pretty much an ornament the rest of the time then?
    Reminds me of when I was about 16, I pulled an old truck conrod out of the scrap bin at dad's work & bolted it to the bottom front engine mount of my CB125 so it hung down & back at the same angle as the the front downtube.
    I was reasonably handy (read, brave & stupid) on the CB & took it to Baypark on a ride day & saw off a bunch of learner type guys on things like GSX250's & GPZ305'S on it.
    I told them it was a frame damper & that was the reason I was quicker than them.
    The concept looked like it was about to gain some traction at the time.
    It was on there for years as a bit of a practical joke.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Could a GPZ305 make a full lap without the cams wearing circular?
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    Pretty much an ornament the rest of the time then?
    I guess you can say that about air bags, abs and the likes. An ornament until you need it.

Im not one to end up going fast enough to get into highsides but cool if it can save some broken bones of those that do.

I guess we will find out with time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Thread Information