Thread: 2004 Suzuki DR200 SE help

Bike
    2004 Suzuki DR200 SE

2004 Suzuki DR200 SE help

Hi Guys,

So long story short, I have been "gifted" an old 2004 DR200 SE from my father in law and it has been severely neglected. The last time it was ridden was about 3-4 years ago, it is quite rusty, filthy, the battery's poked and im guessing will need a bit of work to get the bike going.
    I'm looking at making this a bit of a project of mine to get it going and riding around with my 4 year old son on his TTR50 in paddocks.
    I am a little novice with motorbikes but am willing to learn and play and see what I can do. I will be capable of following any instructions in the manual maintenance wise and cleaning the carb etc...
    I guess my question is, does anyone have any tips about how to go about this? I dont have a plan or an idea on how I will go about it. Are there any places I can go online for guidance with things like this? Are there any suggestions or things I should know that will make things easier for me?
    I'm guessing there will be parts that need replacing, but im unsure what is the most cost effective way of getting parts here in New Zealand and from where. Or is this likely to be a nightmare for me and shall I not even bother?
    All suggestions/ideas welcome. thanks in advance..

Bike
    nil
    Remove old fuel if any, remove carb and clean. Plenty of guides online for this, YouTube would be your best bet. New battery and fresh gas, new spark plug.

I'd probably make sure it isn't locked up first. Chuck a bit of atf fluid down the cylinder, leave overnight then try the kick start and see if it's smooth

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    Yep. In addition to above, probably a very good idea to change air and fuel filters too. Should be possible to quickly inspect air filter and make a decision.

There are loads of DRs around and pretty well every major town in NZ has a Suzuki dealer, basic parts like these should be easily purchased over the counter.

Thread Information