Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Need advice for a BT headset

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulsterkiwi View Post
    yet instructors routinely use BT comms for training and CBTA assessments usually involve some form of comms. Cmon Rob, sound in your ears is nothing near the highest risk to be managed on the roads.
    Paul, I think the spoken word is less distracting as it focuses on the task at hand, especially during coaching. Whilst I love music in the car, I hate it on the bike as it's intrusive and yes - distracting. A highly personal thing I guess. I always find on the bike that there are enough sights and sounds to keep me fully occupied without adding to them.

Bike
    A
    yet instructors routinely use BT comms for training and CBTA assessments usually involve some form of comms. Cmon Rob, sound in your ears is nothing near the highest risk to be managed on the roads.
    Absolutely right Paul, and you know I'm one of those instructors.
    The context to consider though, an instructor coaching a newbie can see the circumstances and will adapt accordingly, whereas a newbie taking a call from a hot date will have an entirely different risk profile.

On that note, sound in our ears is a minor thing, the really big thing to consider is the mental distraction brought about by someone not present.

That is what I was hoping Pete would have taken into account.
    All nice and well looking at the situation as an ex LEO used to multi tasking, flip the situ to an L plater and the risk of an incident grows exponentially.

Bike
    R1200GSA
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    The context to consider though, an instructor coaching a newbie can see the circumstances and will adapt accordingly, whereas a newbie taking a call from a hot date will have an entirely different risk profile.

On that note, sound in our ears is a minor thing, the really big thing to consider is the mental distraction brought about by someone not present.

All nice and well looking at the situation as an ex LEO used to multi tasking, flip the situ to an L plater and the risk of an incident grows exponentially.

Maybe it’s because I never really experienced those sorts of phone calls, mores the pity!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    For an experienced rider talking about comms sets, yep fair enough. For a newbie, having a comms set is one heck of a distraction. Almost as weird as fitting a Go-Pro to capture an accident that a bit of training can possibly alleviate altogether.

Sorry PD, in your new R4E role I'd have expected you to take a more risk averse outlook
    I hear that. I'm more of a realist, than an idealist. If I was an idealist, I'd go back to an XL250 with an open face.

Bike
    R1200RT LC

Yes, taken into account.

It's amazing, the concept of cognitive distraction. Music doesn't do it, radio telephones only do it a little bit, but phones do it huge style. Touch screens in cars, don't get me started on that.

When I was a baby Popo you used to have to pay extra to get a car with a radio in it. Then the radios became standard, the Police used to pay to have them taken out !! Because they were a distraction. Ironic, given how much electronics were in the cars.

Now look at cars, distractions on wheels.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    It's amazing, the concept of cognitive distraction. Music doesn't do it, radio telephones only do it a little bit, but phones do it huge style. Touch screens in cars, don't get me started on that.

And that is a worry. Seriously.

Perhaps one day I'll be so experienced that I'll feel confident enough to ride while zoned out listening to the music. So far though I've only been riding sixty years, maybe one day?
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    A
    Maybe it’s because I never really experienced those sorts of phone calls, mores the pity!
    Close your eyes and use some flexible imagination

I hear that. I'm more of a realist, than an idealist. If I was an idealist, I'd go back to an XL250 with an open face.
    A noob on a bike needs to hear the reality, distraction caused by comms hooked to cellphone is risk tolerant behaviour. Impart the info at least...

Yes, taken into account.

When I was a baby Popo you used to have to pay extra to get a car with a radio in it. Then the radios became standard, the Police used to pay to have them taken out !! Because they were a distraction. Ironic, given how much electronics were in the cars.

In my day job we ban the use of cellphones during a trainees' learning phase. Nothing idealist about it, heavy machinery and cognitive distraction, real damage and hurt. About the same as a noob on a bike come to think of it.

Just my five cents

Bike
    2004 Suzuki GSX-R750 K4
    I really like the SENA 30K - comfortable and nothing extra!

Bike
    R1200GSA
    Quote Originally Posted by kennystone View Post
    I really like the SENA 30K - comfortable and nothing extra!
    not doubting your personal experience.
    I have yet to see a comparison between this model and its direct competitor the Cardo Packtalk, where the Sena comes out on top.
    That and its not guaranteed waterproof.
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    not doubting your personal experience.
    I have yet to see a comparison between this model and its direct competitor the Cardo Packtalk, where the Sena comes out on top.
    That and its not guaranteed waterproof.
    I will change from my 20s when someone comes up with a system that has an easy universal pairing setup.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    R1200GSA
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    I will change from my 20s when someone comes up with a system that has an easy universal pairing setup.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    then its time to buy a cardo:

Cardo - select bluetooth mode, place in Cardo Gateway pairing

Sena - place in 2nd phone pairing

Cardo - once paired, initiate connection

Done

If you have a DMC group you want to link the Sena to, follow the steps above then:

Cardo - select DMC mode, select Bridge

Done

It is easier to do all this using the Cardo App but possible with button commands on the unit.

Thread Information