Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need advice for a BT headset

Bike
    ninja

Need advice for a BT headset

I am a new rider, who just bought a new 2020 Yamaha tracer 900GT. I'm ready for warmer weather, and can't wait to get out there to explore and have fun. But I'd like to stay in contact with my phone for GPS and maybe some light tunes and the occasional phone call. Plus, I'm thinking if I sign up for a group ride, I might need to communicate with a pack lead.

Taking all this into consideration, I'd like to add 2 more points. Room for expansion to a second device for a passenger rider, and something that fits on a HJC full face helmet with vents.

Any suggestions? Thanks so much in advance.

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by pilecarls8 View Post
    I am a new rider, who just bought a new 2020 Yamaha tracer 900GT. I'm ready for warmer weather, and can't wait to get out there to explore and have fun. But I'd like to stay in contact with my phone for GPS and maybe some light tunes and the occasional phone call. Plus, I'm thinking if I sign up for a group ride, I might need to communicate with a pack lead.

Taking all this into consideration, I'd like to add 2 more points. Room for expansion to a second device for a passenger rider, and something that fits on a HJC full face helmet with vents.

Any suggestions? Thanks so much in advance.
    Wife and I use Senna 30 K's dual pack, so 2 head sets, chargers etc, they are not the cheapest, but I believe they're as good as any other and they work, doing all you want and more.
    Welcome along to the nut house.
    Jump right on in.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    Rocket 111 Touring (2010)
    Over the years I've tried plenty of intercoms, including all of the cheap ones, but at the end of the day it's better to buy from a quality brand. I've been using Sena SM5's for about 10 years now. These were their cheapest units (not sure if they're still available). My wife rides pillion and these allow us to talk, listen to music, receive calls and mine is also connected to my GPS.

I still receive software updates from Sena, often adding new features. The only thing the SM5 won't do is link to your ride leader. Have a look at their web site and compare features between units to find which one suits your requirements. I bought mine through Amazon from an official Sena retailer in the USA and paid less than half the NZ price, delivered to the door.

One unit developed a fault after 10 months, so I sent an email to Sena to ask if warranty was still covered even though I hadn't purchased from the official NZ distributor. They told me that the Amazon channel was official so warranty was still covered. I had to send it back to the US factory but they reimbursed my postage and sent me a new unit. Not many companies give service like that.

Keep an eye out on here for the Fat Bikers (FBMC) who have regular monthly rides to an eatery somewhere. Your don't need to be overweight to join us, as long as you identify as fat and enjoy pies. Rides are organised by Caseye, who gave the reply above.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Why do you need another distraction? I love being out on my bike and no distractions, no fucking phone calls. You don't need music. Enjoy the experience you're having while riding. These aren't the droids you're looking for.

A countervailing view from a grumpy cunt.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    VFR800
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    Why do you need another distraction? I love being out on my bike and no distractions, no fucking phone calls. You don't need music. Enjoy the experience you're having while riding.

Couldn't agree more.

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Or simply people have different wants/needs/likes/dislikes. I really don't understand telling someone not to do what they like because you don't like it.

Bike
    VFR800
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    Or simply people have different wants/needs/likes/dislikes. I really don't understand telling someone not to do what they like because you don't like it.

It's not about likes or dislikes etc, it's about distractions:https://www.nzta.govt.nz/safety/driv...r-distraction/

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Quote Originally Posted by Gearup View Post
    It's not about likes or dislikes etc, it's about distractions:https://www.nzta.govt.nz/safety/driv...r-distraction/
    Haha ok. Hope you don't allow people to talk to you when you're driving, that could be a distraction. Or listen to the radio, big distraction there too.

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    I'm with Henry. Fuck being able to take calls on a bike. Or talk to anyone, including a "pack lead", whatever the fuck that is. Are you a wolf?
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    If Nicky Haden could talk he might tell us about the dangers of listening to music while on two wheels. OK he was on a push bike, but he was likely a lot better on either form of two wheels than us.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    VFR800
    Haha ok. Hope you don't allow people to talk to you when you're driving, that could be a distraction. Or listen to the radio, big distraction there too.

Car or motorcycle the same applies with me.

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    If you do find that you have to ride without comms... one basic rule for that situation is that every time the group comes to an intersection and they're going to leave the current centerline, the whole lot waits for last rider and then sets off again. If you aren't keeping up and have lost sight of people, just stay with the centerline and sooner or later you'll find them again.

Crude but it's worked for me over the years.

Something else to consider: most of us have limited cash, I'll assume you're the same. What else can you put that money towards, if you can live without for a while? Heated gloves, heated vests, a set of tinted / clear visors, tank bags and luggage, general riding gear? Petrol, food, accomodation for that big post lockdown trip? Multi-day rides with mates cost. But fuck they're good.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the temptation to ride beyond your skills, to keep up with faster riders. Yeah nah. You've got to do your own ride. If they aren't dicks, they'll understand. The alternative is going like hell and then running out of road at corners, maybe running wide into something solid or head-on. If you're losing intercomms with the leader and you start chasing proximity... well I'm sure that you can fill in the rest.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    I get that. He does however make the point he is a new rider. New riders don't need more distractions from what they should be doing which is: 1. Trying to stay alive, and 2. Trying to enjoy their ride(s).

He will do as he will as will I.

Bike
    Street Triple R

I don't like it. I do have music playing. Rammstein or something usually so my aggression ramps up and I fit in with the Christchurch drivers more better.

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    I get that. He does however make the point he is a new rider. New riders don't need more distractions from what they should be doing which is: 1. Trying to stay alive, and 2. Trying to enjoy their ride(s).

He will do as he will as will I.
    I must admit I did miss the part where he mentioned being a new rider. Take that away however and my point still stands.

Thread Information