Thread: Bike Cover

Bike
    None

Bike Cover

I have gone through 3 motorbike covers in 3 years time and they dont seem to hold up in Auckland weather.

Which motorbike covers do you recommend?

I leave my motorbike outside all year round and need a really good cover for it.

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    I used to use a barbeque cover...get a good one though.
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    SV1000s
    A mate bought a dollar reserve garden shed and just put it on the driveway then made concrete blocks in $2 shop buckets inside on all 4 corners and tied them to the shed
    (Used stones from the garden to use less concrete too)
    Turned out cheaper than any cover.
    He then moved properties and then was allowed to use anka screws in the concrete
    Good all weather parking with notional security of being able to use a padlock too

Otherwise anything heavy from a reputable brand, oxford etc with metal reinforced eyelets so it won't blow off in bad weather.
    The cheap ones do work for a year or so but start to break down due to UV. Especially on the seams and strain points such as handlebar ends and mirrors

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Bike
    A
    Last bike cover I had was an Oxford, quite a few years ago mind you. If I needed one now, I'd start there. Is the weather the problem though? If you've bought something cheap or you're not taking reasonable care with cover it'll be stuffed in a year.

The garden shed idea has merit, be easier than using a cover.

Bike
    None
    I have found Oxford Stormex Motorcycle Cover and Dowco Guardian cover, not sure which one gonna last longer?

I have been looking at sheds, Bunnings have some but none speficially for motorbike as you need slim and long shed with door opening wide open to make it easier to take Bike in and out. Have you seen anywhere in NZ Auckland they sell these sheds for motorbikes?

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by ice2004 View Post
    I have found Oxford Stormex Motorcycle Cover and Dowco Guardian cover, not sure which one gonna last longer?

I have been looking at sheds, Bunnings have some but none speficially for motorbike as you need slim and long shed with door opening wide open to make it easier to take Bike in and out. Have you seen anywhere in NZ Auckland they sell these sheds for motorbikes?
    No idea which cover is best, I'd go Oxford as I've never heard of Dowco, but that doesn't mean it's junk.

The garden shed thing is tricky, I'd buy something secondhand and modify to suit.

Bike
    None
    I found this shed in Mitre10 https://www.mitre10.co.nz/shop/durat...-zinc/p/297868

not sure if it will fit the Kawasaki Ninja 300 bike and it be easy to take it in and out and if there will be more space for extra storage.

Bike
    SV1000s
    The shed he found on trademe was very old. Approx 1.5m wide and 2m long.
    owner just wanted gone hence the $1 reserve.
    The big advantages he said to look for were
    -hinged door so bike wheel doesn't wreck door sliders
    -you want the door on the short end or on the edge of the long end (hope that makes sense)
    So bike can easily enter/exit without lifting or mucking around.

I wouldn't bother with a new shed unless you're looking for years of permanent storage otherwise you'll be potentially dismantling multiple times if renting.
    I've just chatted with him and after 5 years he's just had to use a tube of silicone sealant in the screw holes and roof seam because it's just started leaking slightly.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries

not sure if it will fit the Kawasaki Ninja 300 bike and it be easy to take it in and out and if there will be more space for extra storage.
    Be a tight squeeze. Apparently there'd be a whole 6mm to spare in the length of the shed, which makes it quite important where they measured it. If the 2.02m measurement given is just the outside length of the wall the 2,014mm bike will require ummm creative(?) placement - and some muscle.

The next bike probably won't fit.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    VFR800

A mate bought one of these and is very happy with it:https://www.gubbagardensheds.co.nz/motorbike-sheds/

Thread Information