Thread: New tyre wear - normal or not?

Bike
    Ducati Monster 821

New tyre wear - normal or not?

Earlier this week I had the opportunity to deliver some learning materials to one of my partners students in Featherston (yes, I just about ripped her arm off for the job). As you would expect there was almost no traffic on Remutaka hill, so I had a clear ride in both directions. Needless to say I had a bit of fun without going too crazy, I did see an ambulance going the opposite way on the ride over and back which kept me in check (a little bit). When I arrived back I had a look at my rear tyre, which I’ve recently had replaced with the exact same model as I previously had. I’ve “scrubbed” it in before lockdown with a sedate ride Wellington to lake ferry and that’s pretty much all the action it’s seen. It now has a 30mm band of rough wear around both sides of the tyre. I don’t think I’ve seen this before on new tyres I’ve used just for road riding, any suggestions on what may have caused it? I thought my rear suspension may be a factor as it’s currently set with too much preload. Tyre pressure is set 36-37psi (Ducati recommended pressure).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3817.JPG 
Views:	118 
Size:	129.3 KB 
ID:	345806   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3823.JPG 
Views:	119 
Size:	136.1 KB 
ID:	345807  
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be quoted out of context, then used against you.

Bike
    A
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tyres 251113 003.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	596.8 KB 
ID:	345808

The Remutaka Hill is fun. Spent 10 years in Upper Hutt, kinda miss the hill...

Wear you're seeing is normal, the edge compound is a bit softer and thus roughs up as you get into bend swinging.

Have a read up on the link for Michelin Power 5 as it'll help you understand.

https://motorcycle.michelinman.com/m...chelin-power-5

Bike
    Dont have one now
    Quote Originally Posted by bert_is_evil View Post
    Earlier this week I had the opportunity to deliver some learning materials to one of my partners students in Featherston (yes, I just about ripped her arm off for the job). As you would expect there was almost no traffic on Remutaka hill, so I had a clear ride in both directions. Needless to say I had a bit of fun without going too crazy, I did see an ambulance going the opposite way on the ride over and back which kept me in check (a little bit). When I arrived back I had a look at my rear tyre, which I’ve recently had replaced with the exact same model as I previously had. I’ve “scrubbed” it in before lockdown with a sedate ride Wellington to lake ferry and that’s pretty much all the action it’s seen. It now has a 30mm band of rough wear around both sides of the tyre. I don’t think I’ve seen this before on new tyres I’ve used just for road riding, any suggestions on what may have caused it? I thought my rear suspension may be a factor as it’s currently set with too much preload. Tyre pressure is set 36-37psi (Ducati recommended pressure).
    It's where it transitions to a softer compound on the edges.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by skippa1 View Post
    It's where it transitions to a softer compound on the edges.
    100% correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    Ducati Monster 821
    Excellent, thanks for the feedback folks!
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be quoted out of context, then used against you.

Bike
    Ducati 748R
    I have the same tyre on my aprilia, it has the same wear Mark's front and rear I can take a picture when I get home if you are interested, seems to be normal due to the soft carbon material used.. to be honest it's a great tyre but it is wearing very quick on the edges

Thread Information