Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Older Vs Newer

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    A low mileage example of a 500 to 700 LAMS bike from any of the popular brands would do what you want and lower the outgoings a bit.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by G-R-I-M View Post
    The Boss has allowed 15k but have to update some gear aswell.
    You're fortunate to have that budget, it allows choices.

I've had lots of people ask me what sort of bike they should buy. The answer is always the same : what do you want it to do.

If you think you might ever want to ride gravel roads in any serious way, a Street Triple 660 isn't the bike for you. Just an example here.

Best you can do is analyse what sort of riding you expect to be doing, then look for a bike that meets those needs.

I love the idea of a CBR250RR from 1988 or so, but is it practical? No, it doesn't meet my needs. I have a bike that meets my needs.

The other comment I would make is that it's important that whatever you buy, you look forward to walking into your garage and saying "Hell yeah" when you look at your bike. Have one you love. I can't imagine something more soul destroying than riding a bike that I don't love.

Another thought is that you are able to go from no Class 6 to a 6F in just over 12 months via the RIde Forever/CBTA route. In that time, your needs might change, as you realize that riding is something different to what you thought it could be. If you buy a $14K bike and sell it when you get a 6F, you'll lose a bunch in that time in depreciation.

Lots to think about, but on balance, it's a great time to be a motorcyclist, especially when you have the money to do it properly.

For my money, I'd look at something around 400-500 cc, ABS, in whatever style you fancy. 250s are a little extended on the open road, especially if you are touring.

I envy your choices.

Bike
    R1200RT LC

These guys outline pretty much what I said above.

Not just for beginners, worth everyone watching.

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Sage advice provided here. As others have said, a 400-500cc LAMS bike will almost certainly meet your needs.

The question is - Will it meet your wants too? I have a DR650 which can still be bought new for around the $9-10k mark. It is simple, rugged and straight forward and will do everything you'd ever reasonably want to do with a Dual purpose bike. It's LAMS compliant without needing any modification but is still satisfying to own and still provides a lot of fun. However, does it compare, thrills-wise, to a Ninja 400?

If you were going to venture off the sealed road occasionally then it's ideal but the Ninja will be more fun on a purely road-based trip/commute.

Decision/test ride time for you my friend. Enjoy - It's one of the best bits about choosing and buying your next machine.

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    As above and above... I would add also that if you are commuting and have it parked in an unsecured area, you might consider not buying something that people want to steal.
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    1990 Kawasaki KDX 200E
    Blog Entries
    Thank you everyone this has been beyond helpful. Ive quickly realised choices are not my friend so... test ride time. Another question us there any other site aside from trademe for second hand bikes worth looking at?

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by G-R-I-M View Post
    Thank you everyone this has been beyond helpful. Ive quickly realised choices are not my friend so... test ride time. Another question us there any other site aside from trademe for second hand bikes worth looking at?
    My favourite advice is ... Buy local.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    This would be ideal https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/mot...ca0b680132-001 Usually there's an experianced KBer in an area to check the bike out for you in advance.

Bike
    anything I can get my grubby wee paws on
    Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    As above and above... I would add also that if you are commuting and have it parked in an unsecured area, you might consider not buying something that people want to steal.
    A big D lock and a cheap gps tracker are good way to help hold on to your investment
    =mjc=

Thread Information