Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Private sale issues

Bike
    Gone
    It is also a possibility the fork seals have been damaged by being tied down too tight on the trailer. I can definitely attest to there being no issue the night before it was picked up, which is the last time I went over it closely. I guess at the end of the day its my word against his.

His most recent communications are now alluding to the cable tie that was on the front fork being placed there unscrupulously (by me) to "try and stop the leak".

And brake pads that in all likelihood have less than 1000 km on them are allegedly "too thin".

Asking if the windscreen being tinted is a problem for wof.

Messaging me all hours of day and night about how excited they are to pick up the bike.

Do you see a pattern here?

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by breakaway View Post
    Do you see a pattern here?
    Yes, but I suspect it's not the pattern you're hoping I'm seeing.

Bike
    GSXR1000
    I've removed the personal attacks from this thread. Leave them off the site thanks.

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by breakaway View Post
    He's also made some thinly veiled threats about how he "is not a nice guy"

That alone would make me tell him to go fuck himself
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    If I remember correctly (as I'm about to try and sell a bike) any bike (or vehicle) sold with a WOF more than a month old is should be sold as is where is: https://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicles/bu...ing-a-vehicle/

He also had a chance to inspect upon pickup, and private sales are not governed by all the rules dealers have to abide by (including warranties). There are avenues around, you ride it away and it blows up on you, but not seal leaks, oil low etc. It has to be substantial, where the seller would have mis-represented the bike upon sale.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Gone
    What does sold “as is” mean. If it means the listing should mention that then it wasn’t the case. One because of my assumption that this is the case by default for private sales and two because I had in the listing that I’d sort out wof & reg for a prospective buyer should they want me to. See, at that time I had no reason to believe it would fail, because I’d done fuck all km on it since the last wof which it flew through.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Simply as it says... what you see is what you get. No warranties, rights etc. Now, if the vehicle was mis-represented, or you lied about the condition, you're not going to get out of it that simply by saying, it was listed as is.
    Much the same way that when you signed for a courier delivery (well, used to) you're accepting the goods as undamaged etc (except who opens straight away?)

If you clearly stated no reg, no wof then it's pretty self explanatory, and he's signed (plus price usually reflects that anyway). Keep any paper trail / communication (especially about you suggesting he get it checked, or checks it) as it will be needed should it get legal.
    You've also got a signed doc from him (good), and make sure it includes stuff like he owns in full, no money owing etc. This is useful because if he doesn't complete the change of ownership (or you), then it hasn't finished changing hands, and you're liable for fines etc. The paperwork is easy proof that you have indeed sold.

Otherwise, he collected, so had ample chance to check it. It's a 15yo bike, he can't expect it's right off the showroom floor in spotless condition (nor would he have paid that price anyway).

Unfortunately re the threats, part of dealing with the idiots in society (again, document all proof). Other option is selling on behalf through a dealership (yes, they take a cut), or trading it. Pros and cons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    I've had the same issue a couple of times.

First one was a guy that turned up on the doorstep a few days after buying a car who told us it blew up a few hundred metres up the road from our house the day he bought it. The fact that I'd seen it being driven on the way to/from work for the previous few days led me to the conclusion he was talking bullshit. So I politely told him to go away.

Second time was selling an older bike, guy was super keen to take it away and didn't seem too interested in listening to anything I had to tell him about the bike, just started it up as instructed and rode away. A couple of weeks later while I was away overseas I start getting messages (that cost me money to receive) that there's something wrong with it and it won't go. After offering to come around and have a look for him when I got home to help him out, he then told me that he'd pulled the thing to bits looking for the problem, at which point I politely told him to go away.

The world is full of people who are idiots, and people who will blatantly tell lies to your face, although they will talk it up generally firmly and politely telling them to go away seems to work.
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    I guess that your experience highlights the potential pitfalls of buying/selling on TradeMe. Thus far when selling or buying bikes on TM I've been quite fortunate but there's always one who'll try and spoil it for the rest as the saying goes...

As others have said - Stand your ground and keep all proof of all communications with this individual.

Bike
    Ducati 748R
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    Chain tension, oil levels and the like would be a normal owner maintenance item anyway.
    This .

I thought doing a full service was normal? Forks, oil, swing arm linkages ect ect ect ~ and doing these jobs you normally find a list of parts that need replacing or are on there way out. Tell the guy politely he should of satisfied himself with the bike prior to paying for it and taking it away.

Farrrrk em.

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    you have the money, notify NZTA as to disposal ,job done !!!

This example is why I always trade in with a dealer these days. You pay a little more of course but its done and dusted in one .

You'd never go hungry with Nigella Gaz.
    If it weren't for flashbacks...I'd have no memory at all..

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    You could always ask him to come and work it out in bed
    You'll get one last tirade of abuse and never hear from him again.

But if he does show up. . . Um, start coughing and claim you just got back from Sweden.
    Good luck.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Thread Information