Thread: A pessimistic view of Triumph's situation? I hope he's wrong but...

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries

A pessimistic view of Triumph's situation? I hope he's wrong but...

There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Triumphs (Bloors) started out as simple, modular three and fours. Since then they got bigger, fatter and more complex. Feature creep. The W650 from Kawasaki was better than the same year Triumph Bonneville but the same ting happened there and it became the W800. And now RE is making the 650 twin that people want.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    It's like he just wants to have a big moan. And boy does he have a moany voice. I don't see how the RE is in the same market. Yes people obviously want them and they are cheap, but Hyundais don't spoil the market for Toymoters.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    I can't say that I agree with this chap's views. Under the Bloor family ownership Triumph have been both canny and occasionally adventurous (Think Rocket 3) with their products.

Generally they go into already established market sectors (Think Tiger 800 and 1200) and then polish, hone and gradually improve the bikes over a long period of time. This has served them well and they have done great things with this business model.

The point he makes about the Bonneville range being made in Thailand and that Triumph are 'Economical with the truth' is just wrong. They don't hide the fact that the Bonnies are made there. This is the only way that they are able to make these bikes at prices that are competitive. Otherwise they'd end up like Norton and look how that turned out.

I read once that for every worker Triumph employ in a UK factory they can employ roughly 7 people in the Thai factory. You simply cannot argue with numbers like that and the recent downturn has had the same effect on them as it's had on a lot of other manufacturers.

Sadly this chap displays a very British view on such matters - Always able to see the negatives and displaying a 'Can't do' attitude. A shame really as Triumph's story should be heralded as the success that it is.

I bought my Thruxton knowing full well that it was made in Thailand. It's a cracking bike that I intend on keeping for a very long time, Thai-made or not. Are RE a threat to them? Perhaps and I wish them well but I probably wouldn't buy an Interceptor if I could get a nearly new Street Twin for nearly the same money. That's just my humble opinion but I've owned a lot of Triumphs over the past 15 years and I really enjoyed them all.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    If I understood that guy correctly the whole range is made in Thailand now.

And it's a very extensive and overly complicated range. He doesn't mention it but Triumph completely buggered the new 900 twins. They've fixed that problem now but it may have been too late.

Dad may be able to bail the company out - if the property developmemt business hasn't been hit hard by the Covid happenings.

We'll see...
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    One good thing about thai made products is the aftermarket stuff they make in thailand. Look at all the stuff available for ford and toyota utes for instance. Some great, some a bit tacky but all of it cheap.
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    One good thing about thai made products is the aftermarket stuff they make in thailand. Look at all the stuff available for ford and toyota utes for instance. Some great, some a bit tacky but all of it cheap.
    I think Thailand is just like China. You want cheap, they can do cheap.You want quality, they can do that too but it will cost more. Seems at the moment everyone wants cheap, so they can make more margin on it.

My 08 KLR is Thai-built. You can see where the corners have been cut, but the bits that matter seem to have been made ok. The manufacturersm while trying to cut costs, still want to ensure their reputation remains, if not glowing, then reasonably unsullied.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Yep, I bought an 05 Hilux ute new and kept it for 11 years. All thai assembled, not sure about manufactured there but the quality was absolutely fine. Would not be an issue for me at all buying from that market.
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    . . .

My 08 KLR is Thai-built. You can see where the corners have been cut, but the bits that matter seem to have been made . . .
    You just described most cooking model Suzuki made since the 90s.

I , well I respected his story on Norton, but I thought this was a bit of a tall poppy beat up. Yamaha got into trouble in the 80s by over stretching. They came right.

Bike
    R1200GS Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    You just described most cooking model Suzuki made since the 90s.
    Are your sure it's a Suzuki? Last KLR I rode was green...

Bike
    06 scrambler,xrl,
    Blog Entries
    The difference I have noticed between Chinese made products and Thai or Korean is the Thais have work quality instilled in them, whereas the Chinese mantra seems to lean heavily towards the Yuan or Dollar. MHO

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Racing Dave View Post
    Are your sure it's a Suzuki? Last KLR I rode was green...
    Um, yeah I get that, just comparing ethos as common.

Actually was closer still in early century K and S had a big hookup with badged models.

Bike
    Roadstar 1600 & Royal Star Venture
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    It's like he just wants to have a big moan. And boy does he have a moany voice. I don't see how the RE is in the same market. Yes people obviously want them and they are cheap, but Hyundais don't spoil the market for Toymoters.
    Having ridden both Trumpet and the RE, I can see where RE will eat into Triumph's sales. The Bonnie is a superior bike, for certain, but it's also become complex and bloated, compared to the original 850/900cc version. The RE is a sweet little bike, it rides nicely, handles well, power is not startling, but it compares well to the Guzzi 750 range. They (Guzzi) are also light, good handling, and 'simpler' than the current Bonnie. THAT I think is the RE's appeal, it's simpler, and just begs for owner modifying.
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Thread Information