I love cosmopolitan feel of Auckland and enjoy walking in the mornings to take in and savour the atmosphere our diverse cultures create.

While walking around the harbour this morning I noticed this fellow shouting ‘Allah be Praised’ and ‘Death to all infidels’.

Silly bugger wasn’t watching where he was going and tripped off a slipway and fell into the water. He was struggling to stay afloat and crying out for help. It was pretty obvious he couldn’t swim and would surely drown without help.

Being a responsible Aucklander and abiding by the law that requires you to help those in distress, without putting yourself in danger, I informed the Police, the Coast Guard, the Ambulance Service and even the Fire Service. This guy needed help and I really wanted to cover all bases and not leave anything to chance.

However it is now after 3:00pm. The poor fellow has drowned. Unbelievably none of the emergency services have responded and I am starting to wonder if this disgraceful lack of response has a racial motive.

I am also now starting to think that I have wasted FOUR postage stamps.