Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What motorcycle company will be the first to fall due the Covid-19

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by MD View Post
    I take back my comment.
    I paid $15,500 in 2006 for a new 636. Today $19,500. So that's annual inflation of $321 a year or 2% increase p.a.
    I paid $4k for a Honda GB400 in 86. Now a CBR500 is $12,500 (closest I could find). That's $235 increase a year. Not that bad really. Our wages have gone up since 1986 a lot more in percentage terms.
    I too paid $4299 for a GB400Mk 2 in early 87.

Funny thing is its worth that or more today......
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    I too paid $4299 for a GB400Mk 2 in early 87.

Funny thing is its worth that or more today......
    Interesting! I paid $3900 for mine at the same time! A dark blue Mk 2, which is what attracted me in the first place as I'd never seen one in that colour. It actually got me into a bit of strife as I'd driven to Auckland to pick up a yacht sail and putting a deposit on the GB was pure impulse as the dealer was almost next door to the sailmaker in Barrys Pt Road. Trouble was, I didn't talk to my wife first and she was really pissed off. It ended up with her buying a piano at twice the cost of the GB to teach me a lesson. Still, it was the bike that got me back into motorcycling so it was worth it!

Bike
    R1200GSA
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Interesting! I paid $3900 for mine at the same time! A dark blue Mk 2, which is what attracted me in the first place as I'd never seen one in that colour. It actually got me into a bit of strife as I'd driven to Auckland to pick up a yacht sail and putting a deposit on the GB was pure impulse as the dealer was almost next door to the sailmaker in Barrys Pt Road. Trouble was, I didn't talk to my wife first and she was really pissed off. It ended up with her buying a piano at twice the cost of the GB to teach me a lesson. Still, it was the bike that got me back into motorcycling so it was worth it!
    aw bless you Geoff, Jenny was always going to buy that piano, that way she made you think it was on you, clever lady
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulsterkiwi View Post
    aw bless you Geoff, Jenny was always going to buy that piano, that way she made you think it was on you, clever lady
    Hahaha - I got a real dressing-down Paul - still etched in my mind 33 years later

I wish I still had it to pootle about on as a second bike. Our eldest son used to ride it but when he went to varsity, I'd got the K100 RS and the Honda just sat in the shed. Sold it to someone from Hawera.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GB400 TT naked 2.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	873.3 KB 
ID:	346112   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GB 400TT 6.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	914.8 KB 
ID:	346113  

Bike
    Street Triple R + Yamaha R3
    What a beautiful bike!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by release_the_bees View Post
    What a beautiful bike!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Thanks! I know that beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I think it's the nicest-looking bike I've ever owned. I had the fairing made by a company in Hamilton. It was based on an RZ350 fairing and altered to suit the Honda. I had the paint matched and computer-cut lettering done by an auto painter in Leamington, Cambridge and he did an awesome job.

Bike
    2003 BMW K 1200
    I am seeing a lot of articles about how Harley-Davidson change of strategy during the pandemic, but I am saying that they will fall out of business.
    Moving on, I just read and saw this article online which you guys may want to check out.

https://www.motorcyclesdata.com/2020...cycles-market/

It's not just the motorcycle industry that is affected by Covid-19.

Bike
    So old you won't care
    During the Great Depression a LOT of brands went to the wall and largely it was the luxury brands that didnt have an economical model that suffered.

It also changed motorcycling. Prior to the depression and even into the early stages many brands were experimenting with exotic engine layouts but what sold were simple single cylinder bikes. Many brands failed or were crippled and absorbed into big groups. Of course not long after the depression came WW2 but the lessons stuck firm in the minds of the Boards of Directors and innovation was stifled leading to the inability of the British industry to respond to the Japanese..

I suspect triumphs in do do and maybe regretting becoming a 'premium' brand...

I think HD will struggle against Indian

I think Royal Enfield have a good chance with their 650 twins

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    ... And a lot of those bikes were high value poser type bikes.
    With low km's ... Seldom go anywhere ... except to be seen at poser pubs and (more often) Cafe's ... not far from home.

Two day stubble on their face ... because they have to shave come Monday ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by autonoob View Post
    I am seeing a lot of articles about how Harley-Davidson change of strategy during the pandemic ...
    It seems weird that LAM's allowed Harley Davidson's are available. To even suggest such a thing might eventuate 20 years ago ... the laughter from the "Made in the US of A" brigade would be heard world wide.

To stay in business in changing times ... new strategies must be employed.

Many components for most Harley's are already made (under license) in India

BUT ... Built (OK ... assembled) in the US of A ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Indian Scout
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Interesting! I paid $3900 for mine at the same time! A dark blue Mk 2, !
    What amused me was they were a new model launched, as far I recall, as the GB MkII. Yet there never was a MkI as far as I know r

Was a smart looking bike I reckon. A bit gutless. Ok, a hell of a lot gutless.
    If anyone knows the fate of 18QRE rego let me know.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oct 2010 366.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	389.3 KB 
ID:	346117  
    Happiness is a means of travel, not a destination

Bike
    less than I used to have

Was a smart looking bike I reckon. A bit gutless. Ok, a hell of a lot gutless.
    If anyone knows the fate of 18QRE rego let me know.

...the GB500 was a different machine to the 400 but still soft...still, it gets more points from me cos' it's a Honda...

Bike
    Cbr250rr
    I don't know what company, but it so sad hearing that there are businesses that needs to close due to pandemic.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    It seems weird that LAM's allowed Harley Davidson's are available.
    Given that is based on power to weight ratio Harley’s should have been first in the line up lol
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    I take back my comment.
    I paid $15,500 in 2006 for a new 636. Today $19,500. So that's annual inflation of $321 a year or 2% increase p.a.
    I paid $4k for a Honda GB400 in 86. Now a CBR500 is $12,500 (closest I could find). That's $235 increase a year. Not that bad really. Our wages have gone up since 1986 a lot more in percentage terms.
    Disposable income has dropped markedly. The cost of living has outstripped both of the indicators you used there.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Thread Information