Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What motorcycle company will be the first to fall due the Covid-19

Bike
    bike sold :-(

What motorcycle company will be the first to fall due the Covid-19

Any guesses what the first motorcycle company will close it doors first due to the Covid-19 economic downturn?

all the company's seem to be suffering at the moment, 20% downturn on top of flat sales for the last few years doesn't bode well for the future of your company.

https://www.bikesales.com.au/editori...dustry-124455/

https://m.economictimes.com/industry...w/75008350.cms

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    A few seem to be doing alright here. Including a scooter outfit. Some need to drop their new prices by 4 grand-yip you triumph... One even moved to new bigger premises.

Bike
    06 scrambler,xrl,
    Blog Entries
    Not sure of the state of all parent companies. But NZ retailers who don't have access to farming brands will suffer the most. MHO

Bike
    motocompo
    Meanwhile one big city bike shop owner I'm in frequent contact wih is absolutely run off his feet since he re opened after lockdown & sales have been many times the normal level, including a heap of cash transactions.
    I had a bike transporter in to relocate a bike on Friday, he also said they were flat out, although a fair percentage of it was guys selling bikes that were on HP that had lost their job, spouse had lost their job, or were on reduced hours.
    And a lot of those bikes were high value poser type bikes.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    Meanwhile one big city bike shop owner I'm in frequent contact wih is absolutely run off his feet since he re opened after lockdown & sales have been many times the normal level, including a heap of cash transactions.
    I was one of those cash buyers, been looking around for awhile, was hoping post Covid would be bigger discounts but good deal in end.
    A lot of guys that were perhaps fence sitting on to buy or not have prob been chomping at the bit to get a bike after the lockdown loss of freedom, especially those close to retirement age.
    Also in times of economic crisis it’s dangerous to have too much cash reserve incase Aunty Jacinda mandates a bail in to save our Aussie banks!
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by spanner spinner View Post
    Any guesses what the first motorcycle company will close it doors first due to the Covid-19 economic downturn?

all the company's seem to be suffering at the moment, 20% downturn on top of flat sales for the last few years doesn't bode well for the future of your company.

https://www.bikesales.com.au/editori...dustry-124455/

https://m.economictimes.com/industry...w/75008350.cms
    Didn’t read your links but in any depression people will only spend their money on quality products and services.
    Apparently the japs never stopped working so they have plenty of inventory to flood market with.
    Some interesting vids on YouTube about how Harley has neglected the younger market segments with nothing entry level and its loyal brand followers are slowly going old and dying off.
    But they still have a quality product with good resale value.
    It’s hard to say what will happen really...
    You still in same house? Will have to drop by with the new scooter
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Triumph.

10 chars.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Indian Scout
    Guzzi and MV Agusta- they have made a habit of financial failure so at least they have a wealth of experience on how to go broke.
    Last edited by MD; 9th June 2020 at 19:32. Reason: reworded it betterer and funnyier
    Happiness is a means of travel, not a destination

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    I posted an article on KB pointing out that Triumph are in trouble. And now that all their models are made in Thailand it's not as if they can go to the government and ask for a handout to protect 'British industry'.

Reportedly people have been cancelling orders because of the bikes originating from Thailand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofIHT4pOILo
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Bimota! oh, wait.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    Triumph.

10 chars.
    yip, many models of the same engine, costly, royal enfeild are taking a larger chunk of their pie each month

Bike
    less than I used to have
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    yip, many models of the same engine, costly, royal enfeild are taking a larger chunk of their pie each month

...funny ole life, innit...

Bike
    Indian Scout
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    I was one of those cash buyers, been looking around for awhile, was hoping post Covid would be bigger discounts but good deal in end.
    Good point. I was expecting a price war and discounting after lockdown to kick start sales and get some urgent cash flow but there's been little sign of that so far. New car and bike prices seem to be getting further out of reach of every day Kiwis the last few years.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by MD View Post
    Good point. I was expecting a price war and discounting after lockdown to kick start sales and get some urgent cash flow but there's been little sign of that so far. New car and bike prices seem to be getting further out of reach of every day Kiwis the last few years.
    maybe the margins have been caned for so long there's no room to move?

Bike
    Indian Scout
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    maybe the margins have been caned for so long there's no room to move?
    I take back my comment.
    I paid $15,500 in 2006 for a new 636. Today $19,500. So that's annual inflation of $321 a year or 2% increase p.a.
    I paid $4k for a Honda GB400 in 86. Now a CBR500 is $12,500 (closest I could find). That's $235 increase a year. Not that bad really. Our wages have gone up since 1986 a lot more in percentage terms.

Thread Information