Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best insurance??

Bike
    Kawasaki vulcan 650

Best insurance??

Hi guys and girls . I was wondering on everyone's opinion on insurances.

I recently brought a near new bike (kawasaki Vulcan s) and as it's worth a pretty penny I was wanting to get full insurance just incase something happens. But looking at some of the popular companies i realise they charge close to $100 a month for it . I am currently a restricted rider so I know it will put the price up a bit.

Was wondering who you guys use and recomend and if this price is considered ok/ average.
    Thanks!

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Prevention is of course the best insurance. List it as an artwork on your contents policy and don't take it out of your lounge room.

If you do have to claim however don't show them a picture or the assessor will deny the claim for sure.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    1994 Triumph Trophy 1200
    Quote Originally Posted by Isaac1 View Post

I recently brought a near new bike (kawasaki Vulcan s) and as it's worth a pretty penny I was wanting to get full insurance just incase something happens. But looking at some of the popular companies i realise they charge close to $100 a month for it . I am currently a restricted rider so I know it will put the price up a bit.

Was wondering who you guys use and recomend and if this price is considered ok/ average.
    Thanks!
    Do a search! Think you will find Kiwibike insurance best

Quote Jan 2020 Posted by Katman

Life would be so much easier if you addressed questions with a simple answer.

Bike
    A
    Kiwibike is a good starting point.

Insurance is a safety net, if you can't afford the loss, insure the asset.

Training is a no brainer, as that'll go a fair way to avoiding an accident.

Bike
    anything I can get my grubby wee paws on
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    For the cost of one month's premium you can fit a GPS tracker/alarm.

And use good disk lock...
    =mjc=

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S

Training is a no brainer, as that'll go a fair way to avoiding an accident.
    It's not just the loss of your own asset, which people might be okay with. But causing damage to and be responsible for the other party's loss as well sometimes. I can write off my car/bike, no worries but how would I pay the Rolls Royce I crashed into? $5 a week?

Third-party insurance should be mandatory for all.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeper View Post

Third-party insurance should be mandatory for all.
    Ideally yes.

But a successful TPI programme relies on heavy roadside enforcement. The same people who drive around in unlicensed and unsafe cars now just won't insure.

And our governments aren't brave enough to have a policeman take a car from a solo mother with three kids who can't afford TPI and crush it.

It's a bigger issue than just requiring TPI.

Bike
    Gotta start somewhere though. I get insurance before I ride or drive off anything, but that's to have piece of mind that I won't go bankrupt after an accident.

People who don't follow the law will always exist. That's no defence for not having the law. WoF is a classic.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeper View Post
    Gotta start somewhere though. I get insurance before I ride or drive off anything, but that's to have piece of mind that I won't go bankrupt after an accident.

People who don't follow the law will always exist. That's no defence for not having the law. WoF is a classic.
    My moped wasn't insured for a few years, if I'd hit a Mercedes it could have been expensive. I was working on the theory that hitting a Mercedes would hurt, so I was going to be doing my best to avoid the pain.

I'm against creating laws that aren't going to be enforced. If it isn't going to be enforced, let's not have it.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport

My brother recently insured 4 bikes with them for a lot less than just insuring his ST1300 at other outfits.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post

I'm against creating laws that aren't going to be enforced. If it isn't going to be enforced, let's not have it.
    Pritch for King !! Amen, we already have so many rules that appear to mean little.

There's this perception that the police are heavily enforcing some rules. Look at all the angst about heavy handed speed enforcement. In reality, how many times do people get caught compared to how many times they exceed a limit?

Reality is, there aren't enough cops in the country to enforce 10% of the rules we already have. We certainly don't need more.

Bike
    Enforcing mandatory insurance is fairly easy. Not police involvement. At rego time, car/bike has to have a valid WoF already. Just add proof of insurance for rego period as well.

I know, people can subsequently cancel the insurance. But that's no different than someone borrowing stuff to pass the WoF and then put old 'loud' stuff back on.

People who want to break the law will always find a way to do it.

Bike
    CT110 Super Cub - postie bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Isaac1 View Post

Thanks!
    I've used both Kiwibike and AMI. Kiwibike were slightly cheaper than AMI although both were really good when it came to claim time. A hundy a month sounds expensive compared to the $42 I was paying for my 600 but then I guess my agreed value is less than yours and I'd been riding for many years on a full.

Good luck. If you can afford the bike, you can afford the insurance. Oh, and nice bike too! I'm not a cruiser fan but I really like the Vulcan.
    Grow older but never grow up

Bike
    CT110 Super Cub - postie bike
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    My moped wasn't insured for a few years, if I'd hit a Mercedes it could have been expensive. I was working on the theory that hitting a Mercedes would hurt, so I was going to be doing my best to avoid the pain. .
    That's fine but in my case both claims were made for incidents when my bike was parked and I wasn't even there. (Once stolen, once backed into).
    Grow older but never grow up

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    I'm with kiwibike and have a multi-bike policy with them. They were good to deal with when my Guzzi was stolen a few years back.

Thread Information