Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ohlins shock purchase turned around by NZ customs

Bike
    2014 Yamaha FJR1300

Ohlins shock purchase turned around by NZ customs

Hi guys

Just puchased a second hand Ohlins shock from the U.S. which has apparently been turned around by NZ customs for some reason and returned to the seller. Not sure what the issue is so hoping someone can enlighten me.

Regards
    Gazza
    Of all the things I've lost, my mind is the one I miss the most.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Can you get an idea from Customs, or from the seller, who may have been advised by Customs?

The New Zealand importer is in New Plymouth but, while that may affect your access to service in future, it shouldn't effect your ability to import your own shock.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    2014 Yamaha FJR1300
    Thanks Pritch
    I'm assuming one of three things
    An address issue
    Shock dirty and needs cleaning (used)
    Franchise issue.
    I have contacted the seller and he is investigating Monday.

Regards
    Gazza

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    A friend imported some shocks and springs from FlyingMiata for his MX5. The springs came through ok but the shocks were turned back, something to do with containing pressurised gas. They ended up going back to FlyingMiata who sent them over again, If you like I'll get the full story from him.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    2014 Yamaha FJR1300
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    A friend imported some shocks and springs from FlyingMiata for his MX5. The springs came through ok but the shocks were turned back, something to do with containing pressurised gas. They ended up going back to FlyingMiata who sent them over again, If you like I'll get the full story from him.
    Thanks Pete

Yes that would be good to know if you can possibly find out.

regards
    Gazza

Bike
    Blog Entries
    OK. What he said was "The first part of it was originally the package was sent to NZ by NZ Post YouShop who wouldn't deliver it locally (!) due to pressurised gas. So it was returned to FlyingMiata in US by YouShop, not customs. FM then sent direct and it arrived in NZ without issue.
    Customs cannot reject anything unless it is an illegal import. There are no restrictions on parallel importing. As long as any GST or duties are paid, that's really all Customs care about. If it was dirty MAF might have something to say"
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    2014 Yamaha FJR1300
    OK. What he said was "The first part of it was originally the package was sent to NZ by NZ Post YouShop who wouldn't deliver it locally (!) due to pressurised gas. So it was returned to FlyingMiata in US by YouShop, not customs. FM then sent direct and it arrived in NZ without issue.
    Customs cannot reject anything unless it is an illegal import. There are no restrictions on parallel importing. As long as any GST or duties are paid, that's really all Customs care about. If it was dirty MAF might have something to say"
    Thanks Pete

Ok, so my shock got cleared by U.S customs then to USPS facility in San Fran international distribution centre, then on to Seattle international distribution centre from there back to the senders post office so god knows what's going on. Keep you posted

Gazza

Bike
    1989ZXR400,GSX1100 & PW50
    Yes, I have heard of quite a few issues with shocks being airfreighted, due to being gas pressure,even race guys, carrying them as hand luggage, stripped & depressurised!! being turned away at the airport, if they still wont send it, it needs to go seafreight, get hold of Kiwi Shipping, part of Mainfreight, based in California & bring containers, with cars, engine, bike bits on a regular basis
    "The road to Hell is really grippy with loads of run off & some wicked lefthanders"

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    I had the same trying to ship an ohlins to aussie. Except they removed the shock and kept it. So the guy in Aussie got an empty box.

Took ages to get the shock back and had to file a ton of DG paperwork to get it to him.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    2014 Yamaha FJR1300
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    I had the same trying to ship an ohlins to aussie. Except they removed the shock and kept it. So the guy in Aussie got an empty box.

Took ages to get the shock back and had to file a ton of DG paperwork to get it to him.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Guys
    I'm assuming then that the above will be the problem but will hear from the seller in the morning when he picks it up from the post office in Washington.

Regards
    Gazza

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Would it help if the gas was released before sending, then have the shock regassed here?
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    2014 Yamaha FJR1300
    Would it help if the gas was released before sending, then have the shock regassed here?
    Guys

The reason it was returned is because it has oil in it. Weather clearance can be approved by removing the oil is yet to be established. i would bet that would be a bit iffy. Also spoke to an international bike rider who told me to forget it. He is not permitted to take his shocks from NZ via air to his destination and that he has to arrange at destination. Other option as mentioned above would be to ship it.

Regards
    Gazza

Bike
    moped
    Strange that, just had a new set YSS gas shocks delivered from Italy, no issuies what so ever.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Weird alright. Something has triggered customs for some reason. Oil is generally consider not an issue in most of the shipments I've done. Yeah they do tend to go hard on pressurised items but if they come on a freight a/c or are depressurised there should be no issue at all. Carry on is a big deal these days though.

Bike
    2014 Yamaha FJR1300
    Guys

Ill take back my last thread. I believe it's not the oil but the compressed gas after speaking to Mainfreight. Anyway, after all this ive aborted the purchase bloody wankers. Rusty you're a lucky bastard lol

Regards
    Gazza

Thread Information