Thread: Electric Dirt Bikes

Bike
    ZX14R, E=mc2

Electric Dirt Bikes

Haven't tried one yet .

Think they weigh about 50-60kg. Thinking about buying one due to an injury I sustained and I still want to get out there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vcHRgAbzMw&t=211s

Bike
    ZX14R, E=mc2
    Used to do the Trail ride thing for years on my Trusty Kawasaki.

Are these electric Dirt bikes valid for the Trail rides ?

Bike
    CB500X, DRZ250, TE250
    Biggest questions to ask are always about range n recharging. Are they one lap n done? how long to recharge? generator to top up charge at a trail ride?
    The quiet scares me cause it screams the truth.

Bike
    ZX14R, E=mc2
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainflex View Post
    Biggest questions to ask are always about range n recharging. Are they one lap n done? how long to recharge? generator to top up charge at a trail ride?
    Yeah, lot of questions to answer. My understanding is they would only do one loop maximum on a full charge if you're looking at a 40km loop.

From what I've read that is. My body is not what it used to be. 25 years of riding 500 two strokes . Need something a bit easier to ride at my stage, keen to get back out there though.

The 500's were always friendly but. Just a little too quick for me now .

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Really someone needs to invent an app so you can plug in earphones and experience some sweet 2 stroke sounds in line with throttle position.

You'd have to ask the organizers but I think they would be pretty dirty on the first person they had to recover who had run out of charge and it hits them that they could have a reoccurring rescue operation as people guesstimate their range considering the hilly terrains could sap a whole load of energy.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
    Yeah, lot of questions to answer. My understanding is they would only do one loop maximum on a full charge if you're looking at a 40km loop.
    What kind of margin for error does that give you ?, some pretty big hill climbs on most of them, last one we did was 50 km a lap so better bring some friends to tow you the last bit
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Strap a weed eater motor running a generator on the back? Wouldn't weigh too much, no worse that carrying a container of gas for a small tanked bike.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Beta Ev0 250
    Classic! I been looking into these too, range is suppose to be up to 100km at 20kph so 40kms woud be acheivable i would think, recharge time is 3.5 hrs from memory, recommended to let the battery cool down first, can get another battery and just swap out for another lap but that just costs more. Not sure where else to ride them is my hang up right now, would make a great hunting bike thou. Also they are going to release a proper electric dirt bike, the storm bee.

Bike
    KX450 Motard/Flat Track KTM150SX H2R
    the alta's were getting 1.5 to 2 hours at trail riding pace, 30-40 min full moto pace, which would get you around most loops in NZ, shame they went bust, they seemed to have cracked the engineering to get it done, not the economics thos,

rode a power assisted e mountain bike the other day, very cool, can see them being very popular, much more riding space for them around the cities,

Bike
    2003 BMW K 1200
    https://motorbikewriter.com/good-bad...c-motorcycles/

You may want to read this article before deciding whether you will purchase an electric motorbike or not.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Or you may not. It was rubbish. Sort of article you would see in the local paper.

I'd like to try an electric Trials bike. Range would not be as important.

But then again noise would be advantage for covert riding, aside from that a 2 stroke would be more visceral experience .

Must find funds for another Trials bike.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    ZX14R, E=mc2
    Quote Originally Posted by autonoob View Post
    https://motorbikewriter.com/good-bad...c-motorcycles/

You may want to read this article before deciding whether you will purchase an electric motorbike or not.
    autonoob. The article you attached was dated 2016. Technology has moved on just a tad.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Or you may not. It was rubbish. Sort of article you would see in the local paper.

I'd like to try an electric Trials bike. Range would not be as important.

But then again noise would be advantage for covert riding, aside from that a 2 stroke would be more visceral experience .

Must find funds for another Trials bike.
    The leccy Yamaha managed a full set of sections before switching batteries in the E-Trial championship a couple of years ago. I really hope it does not gather dust as a prototype.

A leccy trials bike is definitely something I would enjoy. Osets are a bit compromised compared to the full fat bikes.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    dirt bike 250cc
    I would suggest missing the power and having a CR80 or YZ80. They're decent 2-stroke bikes, forgiving enough for novice riders (my second bike was actually a 9-year-old 1982 CR80), but they have plenty of strength to prevent it from rising too quickly and you can find used bikes right in your price range. At 155lbs, I'm 6'0 " and despite being a small bike, I can still have a blast on one with no issues. You could possibly go with a 4-stroke cheap 250cc dirt bike of the same size, but they're not near as enjoyable and repairs are more costly.
    My Life My Style

Thread Information