Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wheelies and police response - what is the typical fine?

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by benTL View Post
    The reason I was asking is they gave me a dangerous driving charge and minimum is loss of licence for 6 months.
    I was going to please not guilty because it was in an industrial area of the city at midnight with no other traffic around. And its not really dangerous if you know what you are doing and are very experienced.
    OK, if you need your licence, you need a lawyer.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    ... because it was in an industrial area of the city at midnight with no other traffic around.
    Often industrial areas do have staff coming and going at all hours of the day and night ... night-shift, staff working on urgent jobs, security staff ... etc ..

Plenty of accidents happen ... because one of the riders/drivers thought they were the only ones on that bit of road. But they thought wrong.

And Plod are always suspicious of hoon's in/on any manner of vehicles in industrial areas late at night.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Quote Originally Posted by mulletman View Post
    Ive seen some of your work and none seemed careless or dangerous
    Luckily I've had some police agree, in fact I'd say the majority.

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    I can recall in mid seventies pulling a bike over,
    I said," nice wheelie but go do it somewhere else , not on my patch "!!
    (He had tried to do a runner too, but I had a 202 Belmont !).

More paperwork as Police, MOT just wrote tickets.

You'd never go hungry with Nigella Gaz.
    If it weren't for flashbacks...I'd have no memory at all..

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    If you read the legislation there is dangerous, reckless, careless - the police need to pick one.
    In order of severity, least to most:
    Careless - no mandatory disqualification period
    Dangerous - 6 month minimum if guilty
    Reckless - 6 month minimum if guilty

Yes, if you want to fight you'd probably be best to engage a lawyer. You see plenty of police and lawyer chats as something gets worked out before it goes before the judge, not something you get without them. They can then argue mitigating circumstances like the area, time etc. Yes, prosecution/police decide the charge, sometimes it can be negotiated down, your history etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Often industrial areas do have staff coming and going at all hours of the day and night ... night-shift, staff working on urgent jobs, security staff ... etc ..

Plenty of accidents happen ... because one of the riders/drivers thought they were the only ones on that bit of road. But they thought wrong.

And Plod are always suspicious of hoon's in/on any manner of vehicles in industrial areas late at night.
    Plenty of stuff happening around where I work during the day and night.
    Let alone people doing wheelies and burnouts-they happen often as well.
    generally only for a few minutes when it’s isolated which has been fine.
    the super modified were so cool.

its the people who are oblivious to their surroundings who should be more careful.
    seen professional drivers drive straight across intersections no looking .....

Not too many wheelies apart from the ‘gangsta types
    small bikes, no rego, WOF etc, no helmet, no gear, no respect, all over the road.

yet no accidents only the odd tyre blowout.....

any given day, I can be careless, dangerous and reckless for myself.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...whats the big thing with wheelies...never been able to suss the mindset in 47 years off being a twat with a motorcycle...I've always wanted the front wheel back on the road asap if it lifted...oh well...

Bike
    As many as I can get away with
    Quote Originally Posted by roogazza View Post
    I can recall in mid seventies pulling a bike over,
    I said," nice wheelie but go do it somewhere else , not on my patch "!!
    (He had tried to do a runner too, but I had a 202 Belmont !).
    Must've been a bloody slow bike

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Quote Originally Posted by ellipsis View Post
    ...whats the big thing with wheelies...never been able to suss the mindset in 47 years off being a twat with a motorcycle...I've always wanted the front wheel back on the road asap if it lifted...oh well...
    I'll bite, it's the feeling of balancing on one wheel for me, it's quite an amazing sensation. I treat them with respect however.

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    Quote Originally Posted by swarfie View Post
    Must've been a bloody slow bike
    yeah mate haha , think from memory it was a trail bike .

( Old grey HQ holdens with a red cherry on top, but my own personal record was never losing a race/chase hahahaha. People who know me, believe that.)

You'd never go hungry with Nigella Gaz.
    If it weren't for flashbacks...I'd have no memory at all..

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Careless Driving

Were the actions those of a careful and prudent driver? The penalty is up to $3000 max, and the court may disqualify. It's heard in front of JPs, not a judge. Fines generally go around a few hundred dollars.

Dangerous Driving

This is basically Careless Driving which may have been dangerous to a person (not the driver/rider). The Police would need to prove that there was someone else around. They were if they saw you, so it seems proven.

$4500/3 Months Prison/Both, minimum disqualification 6 months.

Reckless Driving

Basically Dangerous Driving with intent. Intent can be inferred from the circumstances. A wheelie of any degree normally is considered to infer intent.

$4500/3 Months Prison/Both, minimum disqualification 6 months.

The cop has a choice to make, normally based on

• Time
    • Place
    • Circumstances (who else was there)
    • Actions of the rider/driver

Often but not always, the riders attitude determines the outcome.

Bike
    TL1000
    Thank you to those who wrote informative responses. Here is the outcome so anyone else knows what to expect. Although there was no traffic or houses around, the wheelie ran for quite a distance. My initial charge sheet was for careless driving but when arriving at court it had been changed to dangerous driving. I think the police try a higher charge first then may negotiate it lower if you plead guilty and save the court time. But for wheelies it seems like dangerous driving is the standard charge and not sure why it was initially only careless. Therefore I plead guilty and lost license for 6 months, no other fines, but must visit a probation centre. Was told that a work license can be applied for immediately (no stand down period) and I can be back driving cars as soon as paperwork is processed and a $1200 fee paid.

Through this experience I found that police don't have cameras in their cars like USA. I was hoping there was video to clarify it was a low speed wheelie using balance point. But to people unfamiliar with riding the police report would make it seem like Marquez on the back wheel along a straight past the chequered flag.

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Thank you to those who wrote informative responses. Here is the outcome so anyone else knows what to expect. Although there was no traffic or houses around, the wheelie ran for quite a distance. My initial charge sheet was for careless driving but when arriving at court it had been changed to dangerous driving. I think the police try a higher charge first then may negotiate it lower if you plead guilty and save the court time. But for wheelies it seems like dangerous driving is the standard charge and not sure why it was initially only careless. Therefore I plead guilty and lost license for 6 months, no other fines, but must visit a probation centre. Was told that a work license can be applied for immediately (no stand down period) and I can be back driving cars as soon as paperwork is processed and a $1200 fee paid.

Through this experience I found that police don't have cameras in their cars like USA. I was hoping there was video to clarify it was a low speed wheelie using balance point. But to people unfamiliar with riding the police report would make it seem like Marquez on the back wheel along a straight past the chequered flag.
    Blah BLAH blah, wot a load of shiet.
    Balance point? Ha, evil kanevile here everyone, he even knows before he does it twice what it's going to cost him.
    Thing I don't like, this fuckwit is still able to ride on our roads thinking he's somehow exempt from the rules and of course chance!
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by caseye View Post
    Blah BLAH blah, wot a load of shiet.
    Balance point? Ha, evil kanevile here everyone, he even knows before he does it twice what it's going to cost him.
    Thing I don't like, this fuckwit is still able to ride on our roads thinking he's somehow exempt from the rules and of course chance!
    Well Laava has no idea how to judge tyre wear so I'm guessing it is a Auckland thing.

Bike
    Aprillia RSV1000R 92 KX500
    Blog Entries
    The day I sold my RZ500 I pulled a horn mono, then stopped further up the road for gas. A cop stopped beside me and asked why I had done that. I told him I had sold the bike and was celebrating (18 years old).
    He just said, OK then, oh by the way, I have an FJ1100, want to go for a ride next Weekend?
    Some cops are really good, and others not so much. Luck of the draw. I got off plenty just by being honest as the reasons why, and being courteous helped too.
    BTW, I should never of sold that bike

Thread Information